1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[tv] The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

For a second when they warned her they would go to jail, I thought they were gonna say tell anyone and they'll have to kill you.

2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

That's exactly what I thought, but wouldn't have made much sense.

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Me too.

4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Philip sharpening a knife in Paige's peripheral vision, while she stared at Stan after the revelation, was a mistake.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

It was clearly intentional. The knives, with their FBI agent neighbor, it was like it all dawned on her just how serious s**t was. As viewers we know Philip would never hurt her, but no way that she could be sure of that.

That whole episode was executed extremely well. I certainly thought they were gonna drag this out, the we need to talk scene was gonna be a red herring.

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Finally binged the season in a week after waiting for the season to end.

Episodes 6-12 were great drama. All the secrets were unraveling and you could feel the tension in every scene. Each episode left you wondering what would happen to the relationships in the next episode, how the season would play out.

Then the finale happened. And it left everything unresolved. Very disappointing end to an otherwise great season. I hate when a series will leave a bunch of plot elements ongoing into next season. I'm fine with leaving a few story arcs for next season, but there was no self-contained arc within this season. It felt as if this were half a season. I'd also be okay with it if next season were the last, but I haven't heard anything of that sort.

With so many story and character arcs left open, it'll ruin the tension and anticipation for when they're resolved. Most likely, I'll forget all the details and that'd ruin the setup. Just a silly, unnecessary decision that ruins the experience.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I know not many people watch this show, but damn it's high quality. It's also the most quietly brutal show on TV, and it's never done for shock value.

There was clearly only one realistic way for that story to end, but still it came across as a bit of a shock. No buildup, just an end. And in Soviet Russia when they say shortly, they really mean it.

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Yeah it came out of no where. I half thought she would make it back to the USA.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Truly a stunner but that thread to the show had little purpose anyway.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was a shocking, but fitting, ending. As others have said, that plot line had run its course.

There was an interesting interview with the show's creators in Vulture about it:

Behind The Americans Devastating Plot Twist

11. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

No kidding, it totally made sense but was very shocking that it was so abrupt. This show is excellent across the board, finally got the wife on board.

12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I am curious as to whether this is never heard about again, or if it gets back to Oleg and serves as a catalyst for his turning on Russia. They could have used his meeting with his father merely to set up the execution, and not for an actual storyline moving forward.

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I thought the same exact thing. Oleg turning because of this is the only reason to have it drag on so long.

Can anyone think of another reason?

14. Beezy

Beezy Member

The execution had much more punch than the Walking Dead cliffhanger will have by the time it gets resolved.

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Walking Dead has become less about the story and more about who will die next. There is no end game over there.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I started watching this season about a week ago. It was a bit slow at the beginning, and like I mentioned in my season 3 review, I pretty much forgot everything that happened. But, after having watched the 8th episode (the time jump and David Copperfield), holy crap. So good.

The Martha arc was great. I thought it'd slow down but this 8th episode had so many layers upon layers. I can't imagine how the rest of the season plays out. I hope it keeps that momentum because these middle episodes have been amazing. This show is so underrated.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just watched the pilot. Pretty good. I think I'll to check this out. I've pretty much stopped watching TV this last year.

18. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Anybody who starts to binge this show, the middle of season 2 was easily the weakest part of this series. I nearly dropped it myself at one point, had a couple of episodes backed up on the DVR.

Season 1 was really good, but seasons 3 and 4 are spectacular IMO.

19. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Best show on TV two years running. And still hasn't even been nominated for an Emmy LOL. Should sweep this year in best drama, best actor, best actress.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably for the same reason the Wire never won, despite getting a bizarre level of critical praise: maybe feels like some kind of niche programming to the to television academy members, or maybe it's just the one cable show that gets bumped to save a space for broadcast drama.