1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[tv] The Americans on FX

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by leroy, Jan 31, 2013.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Luke was really strong, last night's episode really had a strong emotional core mainly due to Luke.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

We can all empathize with Luke's desire to go out doing what he loves, murdering cops. What a guy.

And really, if this show has taught us anything, it's that our spies are no better than KGB spies. Sure they spy for a tyrannical police state, but that's just splitting hairs.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've been waiting for that traitorous b*stard to get killed all season, i was really hoping Phillip popped him at the end. Best scene of the year watching him die.

So far they have poisoned a guy, killed some innocent neighborhood security guard, stabbed an FBI agent, killed an innocent housewife, shot one of their own, and blew up a scientist and 3 FBI agents.

Stan in a fit of Rage killed a KGB agent, doesn't make it right, were not perfect but the two are hardly on the same moral footing.

Frankly Elizabeth deserves to be killed too, but the series obviously needs her.

4. Commodore

Was totally out of character, but they had to draw a moral equivalence to show our guys are no better than KGB spies.

5. GRENDEL

It's a TV show, not a documentary I was referring to the actor and his performance but since you can seperate reality from fiction please move on.

6. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

havent watched this show...worth checking out? eisen just caught my eye with this tweet: agree with him or no?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Just caught up on last week's episode of "The Americans" which is easily the best one-hour, basic-cable drama since "Breaking Bad"</p>&mdash; Rich Eisen (@richeisen) <a href="https://twitter.com/richeisen/status/328987159031865344">April 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. Commodore

Good spy thriller if you can get passed the lazy moral relativism they try to draw between the FBI and KGB (yeah, no difference there...)

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good, but no where close to Breaking Bad.

9. GRENDEL

I wouldn't go that far, it's a solid show but not even in the same ballpark as BB.

10. Beezy

Beezy Member

It's not BB but it's miles better than all the other new shows.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

He never says it's as good as BB, just the best show since. I think Walking Dead came out after BB and I'd choose that over The Americans. I' m not sure what else.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Finale was awesome!

This is a great show that just kept improving. Countdown to next January.

13. Beezy

Beezy Member

Great finale. Bring on season 2.

14. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

great finale...much more interesting then i thought it would be and a pretty good cliff hanger...

15. GRENDEL

Pretty impressed with the first season all around, the finale was very strong.

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I was very skeptical going in, as there are rather few TV shows that I like (Breaking Bad, Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire, Dexter), but it's been a pleasant surprise.

Martha needs to die though. She's the LaGuerta of this show. Adds very little, drags the show down. Hope they get rid of her soon.

17. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I'm the exact opposite: I don't particularly like the character, but I'm loving how he has to keep tap-dancing to keep her happy while not giving anything away.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I'd be fine with it if Martha were Nina-ish, if you know what I'm saying. :)

19. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

Season two start in 30 mins on fx, heads up!

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I forgot, but luckily my DVR didn't :)

I'm glad they didn't soften up the leads, killing that cook in the opening scene really confirmed they aren't in any way the good guys. I hope they actually go somewhere with the suspicious daughter and don't just kill that angle.

Good show, and it seems to really push the boundaries of what basic cable will allow.