1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toronto trades for Rudy Gay

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RoxTurk, Jan 28, 2013.

1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

@WojYahooNBA: Several league officials tell Y! Sports that Memphis has a plan to route Jose Calderon to a third team for assets in Rudy Gay deal.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It's probably not us, since Memphis would surely prefer not to help a competent division rival. But man, Calderon would be an ideal fit here, if the cost was basically adsorbing his expiring contract and giving some combination like Aldrich/Douglas.

Great three-point stroke (42%), high assists and low turnovers (1.7). Very consistent and doesn't have a big ego (see coming off the bench to start the year behind Lowry). I think he'd be an ideal half-season rental to mentor Lin and give us a reliable option on Jeremy's off nights.

3. da_juice

da_juice Member

Yeah. Calderon's only real fault is that he's a little too laid back, which shows in his defense (it is why, however, he has no ego).

4. redhotrox

redhotrox Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Going online now: ESPN sources say Grizzlies and Raps have deal in place to swap Rudy Gay and Hamed Haddadi for Ed Davis and Jose Calderon</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/296744378439983106">January 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Sources say deal will morph to include third team to take Calderon, w/Detroit at front of line to land Spaniard after chasing him all season</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/296744887171297280">January 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Third team not yet in stone but Pistons have had interest in Calderon all season &amp; have two SFs to help MEM fill Gay void: Prince &amp; Maggette</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/296745251547279360">January 30, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>ESPN sources say Dallas is other prime landing spot for Calderon, but I'm told Mavs reluctant to part with SF that Grizz want: Vince Carter</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/296746706006077441">January 30, 2013</a></blockquote>

#84 redhotrox, Jan 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I was thinking almost the exact same thing. I'd be willing to bet Morey was in on the talks somewhere but, totally agree on Memphis probably not wanting the Rockets in on it.

6. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Colangelo is a complete, utter, moron.

7. da_juice

da_juice Member

They don't have any problem with Dallas though, who knows?

Magette and Prince could both go to Memphis (I'd be happy for Tayshaun) and Memphis can put Davis on the Speights TPE. Calderon to Pistons, maybe Landry Fields as well. Gay to Raptors.

8. redhotrox

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Memphis officials spent day calling around to do background on Detroit's Tayshaun Prince, sources tell Y!</p>&mdash; Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/status/296749717017227265">January 30, 2013</a></blockquote>

9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Can't really have an opinion until all the details come out. I'm not nearly as upset as last time he was traded.

10. PRaZe

PRaZe Member

Tell me about it.. Ed Davis is rising and Calderon is their best PG on their roster IMO.

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Well, on the plus side, the Raptors are one of my LP teams and they will be better off this season. But now they're a poor man's Grizzlies.

12. da_juice

da_juice Member

They wouldn't be too terrible (for an Eastern team) if they could get rid of Bargnani.

13. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

damn, that will be a big shake up! I think Toronto and Gay make a perfect pair!!! :)

14. Orange

Orange Member

LOL whats the point of the Raptors???

15. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Calderon's offensive numbers are good in fantasy basketball, but his atrocious defense is the stuff of nightmares.

Last year, his team was +0.9 pts/48min better with him off the floor (taking into account both offense and defense). This year his team is +2.7pts/48 min better with him off the floor. I got this from 82games.

This year he splits time with Lowry, and Kyle is significantly better. That's understandable. Last year the alternate point guards were Jerryd Bayless and Ben Uzoh, and they were better than Calderon. That's just sad.

16. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I hope the raptors still barely miss the playoffs despite this

17. redhotrox

Better for them to get their pick obligation out of the way anyway and only have to give a late lotto pick in a weak draft to OKC.

18. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Griz sending Gay/Haddadi to Raptors for Ed Davis/2013 2nd round pick. Raps sending Jose Calderon to Detroit or Dallas for Prince or Carter</p>&mdash; Ronald Tillery (@CAGrizBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/CAGrizBlog/status/296751355073265664">30. Januar 2013</a></blockquote>

19. tor.rocks

tor.rocks Member

Toronto, 8th seed in the east.

Not really sure what Memphis was thinking here.

20. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

How do you create a thread!!!!!