1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toddler dragged into the water by an alligator at Disney

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HoustonTexas, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

this is just sad

2. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

For what it is worth, this is great for closure for the family. At least they get to bury their little man. As a Father, I cannot imagine the pain this family is feeling. All of these jokes in this thread are obviously from immature kids who haven't had the joy of holding their own child.

1 person likes this.
  3. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Read this comment and it really just breaks my heart that a 2 year old toddler died in so much pain and he/she did not even understand what was going on.

I went to Disney last year. The beaches at the Disney resorts should not have people going into the water as it looks like lake water.

Texas, Florida, Alabama, Louisiana, Carolinas waterways all have gators. It really depends on your luck if they are there or not.

4. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

5. The Stig

The Stig Member

Hope the family find some peace after this horrible tragedy.

Think Disney should've had a warning sign near the lake/beach. Other than that, I dunno if anyone is to blame for this.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

They can also climb fences! Which I know are most often used in Florida to separate Gators from residential areas.

[​IMG]

7. The Stig

The Stig Member

Never mind. They do have signs out there. Parents not supervising their child properly?

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Like this one?

[​IMG]

People at the resort say the signs are very clearly visible. Of course, a toddler can't read. My prayers go to the child, and the family and friends.

9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I get to have my chance next weekend for the first time in five years, and my son is only 10.

1 person likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is a reason they are call living dinosaurs. Resilient. They will probably still be around when we are long gone.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

This was also interesting, Alligators have recently been studied using lures ( tools ) to catch birds. Reptiles are using freaking tools now. They balance sticks and leaves above their snouts for hours waiting for a bird who is building a nest to drop in and then boom.

12. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

Looks like the found the boy's body

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">WATCH LIVE: Authorities find remains of toddler following Disney World gator attack <a href="https://t.co/uCl4gLxNi3">https://t.co/uCl4gLxNi3</a> <a href="https://t.co/2Dgpec99Jc">pic.twitter.com/2Dgpec99Jc</a></p>&mdash; CBS News (@CBSNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSNews/status/743178400953663488">June 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

13. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Yup, read about that last year. Another scary thing is them using their tails to propel out of the water several feet to lunge at things perched on tree limbs hanging over water.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v71VZ-Jv69w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3ul3zFk9jVE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Was the picture posted earlier in this thread the area in question? The picture that had multiple stairs heading down to a beachy area?

If so, Disney should be sued to oblivion, sign or not. You're freaking Disney. Almost your entire existence is based on entertaining young children. You can't build something that for all purposes says hey come on down and play here, only to cover your ass with a sign.

4 gators found and killed? That's a lot. In what world do you not more clearly and obviously block that off?

15. HoustonTexas

HoustonTexas Member

The body was intact and located about 10-15 yard out and maybe 6 feet deep according to the Sheriff.

The sheriff said the child was doing what any normal 2 year would be doing, playing right on the edge of the water.

It says "no swimming," not don't stand around here. You can't blame the parents.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/terrified-brit-family-chased-alligator-8197003

17. agslai

agslai Contributing Member

Hopefully, the child did not suffer too much pain. Aerial view of the lake of that resort. It looks like a prime area for wild life.

18. Nook

Nook Member

There is blame to go around everywhere.

It happened at night, during peak hours for alligators to be active and hunting.
    Most people know that an outside body of water in Florida is not a safe area.

Now I understand that the family was from Nebraska, but at the same time they did not exercise the best judgment letting a two year stand with his feet in the water.

Disney also has some responsibility, right or wrong, people assume that Disney is safe for families... and Disney has cultivated this image and profited from it greatly. I guarantee you that they were aware there were alligators in the water, and did not want alligator signs present because it would scare people.

Even in Texas people need to be aware of inland bodies of water and the real possible risks of sitting water. I have seen alligators in Houston in some of the sitting swamp areas.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You obviously have never to been to disney. people are more worried about being sunburned than getting eaten by a gator.

20. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Ok, so I followed the instagram of the post earlier, looked liked another couple with a young child that was there.

https://www.instagram.com/katherine_white_popp/

She has videos and pictures of the area in question.

I don't know, I'm just super confused by the whole thing. It's a resort like area with seemingly man made sand beaches leading to the man made lake, which is clearly filled with gators.

I don't understand the design of the thing in any way. I'm shocked this hasn't happened before given the design.

I mean, one wouldn't design a playground with an area in the back that randomly has fire spew up from the ground, and expect a no trespassing sign to keep out children??