1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toddler dragged into the water by an alligator at Disney

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HoustonTexas, Jun 15, 2016.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm holding out hope that one day this child will return as a half-man, half-gator, crime fighting superhero.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

3. PhiSlammaJamma

What I meant to type is to save the child:

-Attack the palatal valve behind the animal's tongue ( Gator will let go in order now to drown)
    -Gouge the eye
    -Hit it on the head

4. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

An alligator doesn't know that. It just knows to find a suitable body of water close to it.

#64 London'sBurning, Jun 15, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is sad, the family should have known better, Disney should have signs warning about possible Gators, there is no blame necessarily, but those parents will blame themselves their entire lives - and Disney is going to have to pay, they don't want the publicity, I am sure this will cost them millions and that family will never forgive themselves.

Just a tragic accident that could have been prevented with some common sense.

DD

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

too soon

7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Very true, most people who are not familiar with the area don't know any better.

Regardless of this lake being man-made... alligators are indigenous to the area and were obviously there before Disneyland. I'm thinking Disney/resort probably avoided the wildlife signs to prevent scaring guests... But man they definitely had to know. I mean Alligators are pretty amazing creatures and have been on the scene long before us humans and our stupid Disneylands/resorts etc.

Anyway, definitely tragic, and especially sad for parents when they're there for a good time and vacation. I also know how hard it is for parents to always keep up with a 2 y/o, especially during a fireworks show or whatever, so anyone trying to play quarterback couch hero is crazy, alligators can be pretty damn fast on land and water (depending on size), and for a 2 y/o it probably didn't take a lot. But next time you're in the area please save the day :rolleyes:

RIP to all, Orlando definitely needs a break this week (hell, for a long time, Wtf).

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">4 alligators killed during search for 2-year-old boy dragged from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/DisneyWorld?src=hash">#DisneyWorld</a> resort: <a href="https://t.co/ApBNI7IWWX">https://t.co/ApBNI7IWWX</a> <a href="https://t.co/2ulnx5LKfN">pic.twitter.com/2ulnx5LKfN</a></p>&mdash; The Root (@TheRoot) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/743103083060793344">June 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">2-year-old grabbed by alligator at Disney hotel is believed to be dead, sheriff says. <a href="https://t.co/UJpfKn0sEt">https://t.co/UJpfKn0sEt</a> <a href="https://t.co/PmdAW7Qq0H">pic.twitter.com/PmdAW7Qq0H</a></p>&mdash; CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) <a href="https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/status/743118489880268800">June 15, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The gunman sent his accomplice to Disney and took out Pulse.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That's hilarious

:rolleyes:

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I live in DFW and the lake I live by is Lake Grapevine. Just the other day I was told by someone who works with the parks rec there they have removed over 15 Gators in that one lake alone in DALLAS just this year. Gators are wild animals that move and migrate just like any other animal where there is food and shelter for them survive and thrive in. Also you get idiots that dump pets and whatnot pretty much anywhere.

These are prehistoric animals that can survive some very harsh conditions.... If you are a parent of a child you should of course watch your child around any body of water all the time regardless (more drowning deaths than any sort of attack), and with so many shows out there like Swamp people, and discovery channel shows, etc. you'd think folks would understand the danger these animals can be to us and we should respect them.

At the same time, we have to put ourselves in the shoes of these parents and realize that it could have easily been us. Imagine your kid on vacation having a great time, and you not wanting to upset him/her by being a wet blanket... you are at a highly populated beach area at a well manned/professional resort, and then bam.... the guilt they will have without people judging them is enough.

As a father with a two year old myself, I can only imagine what they are going through. Pretty sad story.

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Pretty tactless. Great job.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

There's always a whiner.

14. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Disney can't be expected to keep out all wildlife, and while the signs should make it clear that there is possible dangerous wildlife, visitors should have enough common sense to be cautious around bodies of water in the middle of Florida.

On the other hand, the kid's dad was obviously close enough to be able to jump on the gator as it dragged his son away, so it's not like the toddler wasn't roaming around unsupervised and diving head first into the lagoon.

I don't feel that either party was particularly negligent. It's just a horrible freak accident - one that Disney will pay handsomely for.

15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Uhm, you know alligators can swim and walk? Good luck trying to tell them where not to go.

"Mr. Alligator, respect ma properteeeh!"

16. PhiSlammaJamma

The recommended camping distance from Alligator infested water is 165 ft.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Parents should serve life in jail. Stupid parents. When I was a child, my parents always taught me to always hold my sisters hand and to keep an eye on her when we were out. I always took that very seriously.

How hard is it to hold your child's hand smh.

18. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I'm willing to bet one of the parents will consider suicide, i mean how do you live knowing this happened to you? So sad....they will need some serious counseling.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Camping distance of 165ft?

Are area isn't that large from this picture:

[​IMG]

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Reading this thread makes it pretty obvious on who has kids and who doesn't.

Also, is the area around that lake paved in that picture above? No way that family should've feared for gators if that's the area they were in. Especially with nothing warning them about it.