1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toddler dragged into the water by an alligator at Disney

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HoustonTexas, Jun 15, 2016.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

:(.....

2. jdh008

jdh008 Member

This a truly, truly heartbreaking story.

My wife and I are avid fans of Disney World and visit there often. I guess I've always just assumed they're in the bodies of water on property, which, in hindsight, is pretty frightening considering how often you end up walking near these bodies of water.

I think a contributing factor to what happened is what I like to call the "Disney bubble." One thing that Disney World does very well while you're there is put you in a mental state of mind where you're not worried about much of anything while you're there.

When you arrive at the airport, they have a Disney shuttle that takes you from the airport to the resort. Once you're at the resort, a bus or a monorail drives you from your resort to the theme parks, shopping areas, or other resorts, and back. When you buy things in the parks, you can pay by simply swing a Disney wristband at the point of sale and it's charged to a pre-loaded credit card. Then, it's free to have these items shipped back to your resort so you don't have to carry them. You make dinner reservations and reservations to skip the line for rides in an app.

I say all that just to say that it's very easy to get into the mindset while you're at Disney World that everything is covered and that nothing can go wrong. Intellectually, you know that's not the case, but everything else is made so easy for you that it's easy to just kind of shut part of your brain off.

I'm not sure whose case I'm making or who I'm defending by making that point, but having been to Disney World as many times as I have (and being guilty of what I describe myself, I'm sure), I think that's part of what was at play here. That family, even though there were signs up, never imagined in a million years that something like that would happen, even probably knowing that gators are plentiful in that area. That's the Disney bubble.

1 person likes this.
  3. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

It's the alligator's fault.

4. ISOBall

ISOBall Member

U hold this L for today

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Houston has a park dedicated for alligators. Sheldon state park. They need to close that ish up to the public.

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Sad story. Hard to even picture the scene.

How much do y'all think Disney will pay off the family?

7. Asian Sensation

5-10 Million

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

As a father of two toddlers other than having your child abducted this is about as bad as it can get. The parental guilt will be crushing. The constant what could I have done differently. The blaming but what's worse you can never move on because it seems like it should never be okay to move on; having another child, laughing and be joyful, etc. you always feel guilt.

As any parent can tell you there are numerous near misses with young children. Every now and then the near misses don't miss...:(

Prayers to the family.

9. Buck Turgidson

City people are so ****ing stupid around nature.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Thats a slap in the wrist. They need to get 150 million.

Someone peeped at Erin Andrews and got way more.

1 person likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

How do we know it was an alligator?

12. Buck Turgidson

Could have been a snake.

[​IMG]

that's a deer swallowed by a 14 foot burmese python in central florida, they're becoming the apex predator in the Everglades

13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Why in the hell should Disney feel obligated to pay the family?

Just sickening what this world has come to:

Something bad happen to you? Well did it happen at home? No? How much did they pay you?

14. Asian Sensation

It happened on their property. They will be liable.

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

When you enter these properties isn't there a disclaimer sign say something along the lines of "we are not responsible for any damage to property or persons"

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm sure the parents waived their rights upon paying their park admission and entering Disney property.

17. Buck Turgidson

Signed liability waivers are unenforceable in most cases.

18. Newlin

Newlin Member

They might be liable. I'm not a lawyer, but I remember a few things from some law classes I took in college. Did Disney know that there were dangerous animals in that pond? And did they take reasonable measures to protect the public? I assume there will be an out of court settlement.

19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Disney will probably sign a blank check to make this go away asap.

They should at min close these areas after sunset.

20. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I assume a sign saying no swimming is a reasonable measure? Common sense is a reasonable measure. Common sense says there may be gators in Florida ponds and lakes.

Not sure of the specifics in the case, but I hear there was a sign saying no swimming. Not sure if it said because of alligators or what, but Disney is not liable. **** happens. I know that's a terrible sounding thing to say, but it's the true and honest of what happened here, and it was awful.

If I got stung by a Man O War jellyfish in Galveston and died, my family isn't going to expect a payout from the city.

It's like saying that if I were walking through a state park and got it by a snake and died, my family expects a payout from the state? What?

That's absurd.