1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans Ownership Chaos

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cardpire, Jan 26, 2016.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I don't think this franchise would be run any differently if it were named something other than Texans. I don't think how the Oilers were run previously has anything to do with how a team named the Oilers, today, would be run.

I'd love to have the Oilers name and colors and history back. I'd absolutely love it. I recognize it will never happen.

I'm not a fan of the Texans name. It hasn't grown on me. I root for them because they rep this city, and that's all. I think the logo is well done given the choice of name...but I think the brand overall is about as boring as it gets in pro sports; particularly one formed since teams were named after the socks the players wore. I think the brand is ridiculously symbolic of the franchise itself, frankly...and I don't mean that as a compliment.

I remember the names the franchise was choosing from...I preferred sticking with space themed stuff. I think the Texans brand looks like another Dallas team...like they'd fit in well with other teams named Cowboys, Rangers and Mavericks. Hell, they look a lot like the Texas Rangers decided to start a football team.

I get that it's not changing. And I get that the Oilers are the past. But if you're asking my opinion....and that's what the OP was doing....I'd be all for it.

Aside from that...the Titans are a mess.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think this would be the best end-game, but I wonder how the McNair family feels about it. For all we know, they hate the Oilers and see that franchise/name as damaging to their brand.

3. Granville

Granville Member

I want the history back. the name can stay gone as far as I'm concerned.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

Couldn't agree more strongly, other than the logo. It sucks. Though any logo probably would, given the name. Sadly, and amazingly, it's only the 2nd worst logo in the city.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

I think the Texans have a nice brand. 6 out of 10 score.

The uniforms overall are a bit plain and generic like something made in CREATE TEAM in Madden. As is, too much focus on blue. Navy blue is about as dull as it gets.
    The logo is cool. The name is meh, doesn't bother me now, but i see how it has no appeal to anyone outside of Texas or even people who move to Texas. What was left to choose from?
    Houston Appolos? The space theme is cool, but that name just doesn't flow very well.
    Houston Toros? No thanks.
    Houston Rattlers? Weak.
    Houston Rough Riders? I wanted this back then, but now i feel its lost its true origin with Teddy and would have been associated with "STOP. DROP. SHUT EM DOWN, OPEN UP SHOP. OOOH NOO. THATS HOW RUFF RYDERS ROLL" Watching our team enter the field to "N words wanna try, N words wanna lie, then N words wonder why, N words gotta die" They probably would have gone with black uniforms too. That's all too urban for me and probably for a large chunk of Houstonians.
    If they did it proper, a traditional cartoon logo style of Teddy Roosevelt would have been amazing though. The uniform ideas would have been unique as well. "The Rough Rider uniform was a slouch hat, blue flannel shirt, brown trousers, leggings, and boots, with handkerchiefs knotted loosely around their necks. They looked exactly as a body of cowboy cavalry should look."[2]:22 This "rough and tumble" appearance contributed to earning them the title of "The Rough Riders". They also carried Colt.45's so there is that tie in, but overall i don't see how it fits our city history.

I used to hate the Oilers colors and overall brand. It was the most boring thing for me as a kid. I was drawn to the Niners and remained a Niner fan up until the Texans were born. That said, my taste for tradition has grown and i love the Oilers look when the Titans wear it. It looks like something to be proud of. Incredibly classic logo. So many options for uniforms. It really looks like a football team compared to the clip art look of the Texans. I understand McNair would never switch back, but i would at the very least love to have the history of the Oilers and the legends retired in Houston sports history. It also offers the opportunity to wear retro Oilers uniforms a few times a year.

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

wow i thought only kids and girls base their fandom on logo,colors,name. that's a childish reason to not like a team.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

I hate when **** like this is brought up. Like you would really root for ANYTHING as long as Houston was attached to it. Bull****. You're super manly though.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

yeah, because that's what everybody said.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I remember liking the Apollos. That would mean all 3 of our teams would've had a space-themed name.

I think the Drillers would have been a fun way to troll Bud Adams...sort of like the Bengals did to the Browns way back in the day. :grin:

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The only bad logo in Houston is the Rockets.

Texans logo represents well across the country, especially considering team success. Astros logo reps well. Rockets... nope, trash.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The unevenness of the Texans logo drives me a bit nuts (especially when it is facing the left).

Also wish the primary color was red (only one other red team in the AFC).

12. Caesar

Caesar Member

Damn. Never thought of this. It really does fit Dallas. I love when cities keep a theme to their sports teams. It would have been best to keep a space theme for our football team, but what they gave us to choose was not going to work. Houston Apollos. Houston Apollo sounds better but still odd.

Houston Apollo
    Houston Astronauts(Astros wouldn't like this)
    Houston Sol
    Houston Asteroids
    Houston Gravity
    Houston Dippers
    Houston Challengers
    Houston Commanders
    Houston ACE
    Houston AIM
    Houston Crew
    Houston Dawn
    Houston Impact
    Houston Explorers
    Houston Probes
    Houston Hubbles
    Houston Keplers
    Houston Pathfinders
    Houston Horizons
    Houston Missions
    Houston Pioneers
    Houston Polars
    Houston Shuttles
    Houston Planets
    Houston Solars
    Houston Sats
    Houston Satellites
    Houston Orbiters
    Houston Stardust
    Houston Terras
    Houston Terraformers
    Houston Atmosphere
    Houston Atmos
    Houston Voyagers
    Houston Infareds
    Houston Craters
    Houston Travelers
    Houston Earthlings
    Houston Saturns
    Houston Martians
    Houston Aeros(one of the best logos ever)
    Houston Aeronautics
    Houston Lunas
    Houston Moons
    Houston That's No Moons
    Houston Earth I's
    Houston Jupiters

Countless other name possibilities dealing with Spatial themes, mission themes, etc.

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, I echo that this thread has taken on a very girl-ish tone.

Its one thing to want the name back because you get the history with it... but its another to go off and start analyzing colors/logos/etc.... not even sure why the above poster just posted a 3 page list of space names when we're specifically talking about the OILERS.

Oilers sounds/looks good because you're familiar with it and developed childhood attachments to it (along with all the heartbreak). After 30+ years, most will be familiar with Texans as well.... and your kids will be super-attached to this franchise as you once were to the Oilers.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

There's always been a general lack of enthusiasm, or downright dissatisfaction, with the Texans name, branding, aesthetic, etc.

Anytime you mention one of these things (even tangentially, i.e. "Man I miss the Oilers! 'Texans' is so lame.") it will inevitably bleed onto the other topics.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe in this sub-forum amongst long-standing posters who were diehard Oilers fans.

Overall, the Texans brand is the most popular of the three, there's still a 30k waiting list for season tickets, and it definitely hasn't hurt the overall franchise value (really wish they'd get rid of Clay Walker though... )

I see the same people posting their displeasure. I'm sure Astros sounded pretty lame (especially compared to Colt 45's) when they first introduced it, but eventually you get used to it.... and then you can't imagine anything else.

16. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Someone photoshop Watt wearing an Oilers uniform and helmet.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Rename the team the Houston Comets. Color scheme can stay the same.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Titans already do a throwback.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Thread is pointless. Unless you have about 2 billion dollars to buy the Texans from Bob McNair, you will never see the Oilers name/colors on a Houston team. You will never get the history. So why even worry about it. GET OVER IT.

20. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Do not care. I see NO reason to curse this franchise for all eternity with the legacy of that ******* Bud Adams.