1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans Ownership Chaos

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cardpire, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I've said for years I wish Houston had been able to work out a deal to keep the nickname and team history like Cleveland.

Houston Oilers!

2. cardpire

cardpire Member

Would actually be the exact same scenario as the Charlotte Hornets.

3. Buck Turgidson

The "Houston Texans" are one small step above the "Jacksonville Jaguars" and "Tennessee Titans" in the "most forgettable milquetoast NFL franchise" playoff.

Hell yes bring the Oilers back. Won't happen, but it should.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

If he doesnt approve then....
    [​IMG]
    United We Stand

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

They should sell just because they've done an awful job of managing the franchise. Texans fans should be hoping the Titans maintain the status quo because Marcus Mariota could be great with competent management.

6. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Bud Adam and Bob Lanier clashed. I heard that was a big reason the Oilers left. From every thing I heard, Adams was your typical old timer, he didn't play Laniers politics.

Both guys have passed away, and Houston got another team. Adams even voted for Houston getting the Texans.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I'm still rolling with the Texans. Deep steel blue. Liberty white. Battle red.

But I want the oilers history. I want warren moon up in the rafters.

8. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Did Charlotte get the history back, too?

Let's turn NRG into THE HOUSE OF PAIN.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Adams, a lifelong Houstonian, had ZERO friends amongst city and business leadership.

Speaks volumes to his persona and how he rubbed people the wrong way... the city was obviously prepared to pony up $$$ for a stadium, but they weren't prepared to give it to him (for good reason).

Despite losing the name, history, and being without football those 6 years... Houston is still (on paper) better served having jettisoned the Oilers/Adams and ending up with the Texans/McNair.

Of course, this being the first team I loved growing up... it all would have been better had they never left, but the only way I see that happening is if somehow Adams was forced to sell the team rather than move.

10. awc713

awc713 Member

down because of the oilers color scheme...

you all know, deep down, its better than this deep steel blue, battle red and white scheme. its too similar to so many other teams. oilers were at least unique with their color scheme.

11. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I'd rather keep the Texans name than revert to the Oilers. ...and I was a huge Oilers fan. The Texans name has broader general appeal, not just among the sentimental old Oilers homers.

...and of course, because:
    Bud. [​IMG]

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I love the name, logo, and colors…I want the Oilers back!

13. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

Bring back the ****ing oilers

14. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

I seriously doubt that.

Texans is the name with the narrower appeal, not Oilers.

1 person likes this.
  15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What don't you people understand? Bob McNair doesnt want ANYTHING to do with the Oilers history. Even if the Titans wanted to give it up, McNair has NO CONNECTION to it. He is not changing the Texans name. GIVE IT A REST, PEOPLE. Move on......

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Bob McNair doesn't and that is all that matters. GIVE IT UP.........already.

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Will never happen.....GIVE IT UP.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It is not the exact same scenario. I am sure Adams put it in his will that the Oilers name and history is retired and can never be used. That was one of the agreements he had with the NFL.

GIVE IT UP......move on.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Give it UP. WILL NEVER HAPPEN.

20. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

Not true. The Texans are one of the most valuable franchises in the world. They have 26k on a season ticket waiting list. People seem to forget, the oilers had problems selling out the smaller astrodome and had many TV blackouts even during the 1987-1993 playoff runs. There is a whole generation of grown ups that have no real recollection of the oilers. Pretty much everybody 27 or younger have no real memory of the oilers and don't really give a crap about them.

1 person likes this.