1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans Ownership Chaos

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by cardpire, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

"Oilers" is the name of a once great hockey dynasty.....and the name of a constantly disappointing football team. Let Edmonton be the only "Oilers" since they actually have a proud history, the football version just has the greatest choke job in sports history. The football version is dead and should remain that way.

2. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You should probably pull that stick out your ass. Give it up? As if Im been hanging outside NRG Stadium with a sign pleading for the Texans to change their name.

3. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Bring back the Oilers nickname and Watt can lead the tough defense as THE DRILLING COMPANY.

4. mario_v

mario_v Member

I'm 28 and never grew up watching the oilers but I would LOVE to have old name, colors, logo and history back.

I've been a Texans fan since day one but never fully embraced the name, and the jersey are just too cookie cutter and average looking, it doesn't stand out.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You have.........now stop and forget about it.....:eek:

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You can't bring back a name the team NEVER HAD. Texans and Oilers/Titans 2 different franchises.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

you sure are passionate lol

one thing is for sure the name oilers and the helmet are a HELL OF A LOT cooler than the stupid texans. how's that for passion?

1 person likes this.
  8. conquistador#11

I don't like the Texans name but wouldn't want the oilers back. Maybe those that witnessed the earl campbell years still hold on to something special. all i remember are the team meltdowns against buffalo and kc.

9. Raven

Raven Member

10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mr Scarface, I'd like to hear your thoughts on whether or not you think Houston has a shot on getting back the Oilers name and history. Please tell me in as many posts as possible. kthxbye.

Getting back the Oilers name and history is not the Texans Way.

I was in Houston during the Oilers run, but I wasn't really a football fan at the time, so I don't have any real connection with those teams. It doesn't bother me that all that stays in Tennessee. Let 'em have it.

11. Buck Turgidson

not happening...GET OVER IT

12. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/YNLzEE5g-30" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Born in '73 and your post is moronic. I grew up with the Oilers. My Uncle and his neighbor were security for the team for almost 2 decades and I have GREAT memories of growing up, playing on the field after practice, hanging out in the locker room thinking I was grown up and having many, many players show up to my birthday parties, to my Uncles parties, playing basketball with almost the guys all Summer and just being around the guys in general. I lived and bled Oilers Blue. They were my team, zero ****s given about their "success". I just had dinner about a month ago with Pastorini, and if I had time to tell some stories not in his book, whoa hell. Awesome stuff.

I watch the Texans when I have time, but my feelings towards them are minimal at best compared to the Oilers and I don't "plan" time to watch them. If I'm not busy I'll flip over for a second or two while enjoying RedZone. Really, Houston Texans. Pretty much the lamest team name in all of football or sports in general which fits pretty well considering their minimal "success" if that's what you call it and the owner is just about a competent at Bud Adams, honestly. Not generic at all and there is still no history for me to relish. Just don't really care like I did with the Oilers. The memories of childhood stay strong for most.

#53 LonghornFan, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The bolded part is the key.

I feel the same way you do about the Oilers, but I'm about your age and I'm sure it has more to do with nostalgia than it does with the Oilers being any better than the Texans.

Honestly, the Oilers history is just flat out pathetic. I would venture to say it's worse than the Texans short history. But we forget that as time goes on and we get older. Of course we're not going to embrace the Texans like we did the Oilers. We were kids back then.

I'd like our history back (Luv Ya Blue, Earl, Warren), but the name and colors should stay in our childhood memories only. It would be cool to be able to have a throwback game once a year with the old Oiler uniforms....but that's it.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Someone start a petition!

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

The reason I'd want the Oilers name back is because the Texans name is the worst thing in sports history. The only thing that could be worse is if the team was named Houstonians. The Houston Houstonians. Thankfully, our name picking skills were just slightly better, but not by much.

17. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Texans is cool.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Perfect except I'd save the old colors for alternates.

Oiler history isn't good, but "Houston" is attached to the Buffalo game regardless of Tennessee -- might as well own it.

Nah, he prefers his ass touched like that.

19. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I've never had an issue with the name; IMO, it was the best of the finalists - and the best one suggested. That aside, the logo - regardless of what you think of the name - is awesome. Iconic, simple yet strong. I love it.

The idea of working a touch of Columbia blue into the uniforms is cool; I'd be all for that (with them making red the primary color and adding in the gold). Bu the Oiler name... nostalgia is a powerful drug. It was a terribly-run franchise that was more often embarrassment than success. And even when they were successful, they managed to fail historically and mar their success with boobs like Glanville and Ryan.

My family had season tickets 1970-1990. My dad told stories of walking with players to Jeppensen Stadium in the AFL days. I was born into the Oilers and named my first child Campbell, and... I was happy to start fresh. I wish the Texans had gotten out of the gates better but... I really don't want to go back to the Oilers. I mean, I had fun in high school with great memories and longstanding friends - but I'm good being years past it, know what I mean?

20. Victorious

Victorious Member

Just give us the history. Once a year we do a throwback game where they wear oilers colors and we honor oiler legends. thats all we really need to do. no point in remaking the texans franchise