1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The truth(s?) about Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Mar 10, 2013.

1. wincan459

wincan459 Member

Totally agreed.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I keep bringing this up,but how many near all star caliber players go undrafted in this day and age of scouting? I mean, what are people expecting from a guy who was passed over 60 times,cut,released,had a great stretch for 17 games. I'm not saying he can't get better, I'm just saying if his ceiling were of near all star,morey wouldn't have cut him. I mean the rockets got guys like lull who they spent a 2nd rd pick on not knowing if he will ever come over. I doubt every gm can be that wrong.

3. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

He is a good to a very good point guard range in my opinion. Once he develops an reliable mid-range game, he has the ability to be an borderline allstar calibare PG. That's just my opinion.

4. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

I know what you mean, but a lot of good players were picked in the very late stages of the draft. Cat Mobely was an allstar calibare baller in his prime and he was in the late draft pecking.

5. wincan459

wincan459 Member

The PGs listed here averaging 14.1 shots vs Lin's 11.8. If Lin took average shots, he would be averaging 17.3 points per game.

Besides, Harden takes 17.3 shots per game averaging 26.4 points. I suspect the other SGs are much less talented comparing to Harden and take much less shots.

6. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

This i can agree with. As much as i dont think Lin belongs on this team, he's here and theres nothing we can do about it. In the future i completely agree his best productive role will play as a 6th man. BUT as of right now only having beverly to go to, Lin needs to start. Beverly is good but i dont think he's ready to start just yet. Now of course all of this can change once AB gets some playing time to see how he does with us. but right now with what we've got. Lin needs to continue to start, and continue to until we finish out the season unless coach gives AB a chance to prove himself into the starting position. Beverly needs some experience the rest of this season before he's ready to take on a starting role.

Reading through this thread though, +Respect to the majority of the Lin fans in this thread. These guys need to be posting other, notice as i said Lin fans and not LOFs. good thread.

7. wincan459

wincan459 Member

He is Asian, there ain't a lot of Asians being scouted at all.

1 person likes this.
  8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Mediocre player.

9. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

ty appreciated. :)

10. ColdspringX

ColdspringX Member

Agree with point#2, I 've said long ago that Lin needs the ball too much to produce at a star level, means he cant effectively play the second riddle, he's just not efficient.

However I do think you understated his D, I feel defensively he's a top5 pg in this league,
    right up there with Curry, Parker, Lowry and Holiday, not sure about Rondo.

1 person likes this.
  11. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

Stephen Curry o_O?

12. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

It has nothing to do with race imo. I know and have seen some extremely good asian basketball players. It's just generally asians are short. Even with all the talent ive seen, they would get eaten alive in the NBA. I dont think any scouter will turn down talent due to race, especially now. someone wants to find the next Lin.

13. GoRockets!

GoRockets! Member

Rondo, Bledsoe, DRose, CP3, Rubio, Holiday, Lowry are on the top of the list. It can be argued that Westbrooks, DWilliams, Parker are equally good. Stephen Curry doesn't belong on the top 10.

14. wapz

wapz Member

Thanks for calculating his TS as of the moment.

Without his injury which i really believe affected his game around oct and november, it can really be argued that his TS should be higher.

That's why it is really best to assess him next season wherein he will have enough time to work with harden and be coming off healthier relative to today.

let's be patient!

15. Sherlockfever

Sherlockfever Rookie

very good point!

i thinking is: as no one can give a definite answer and before Rox can really land CP3, why not assume the best scenario for the time being? and treat Lin as if he's going to be one(let him close games, allow him make mistakes, ect)......until we do have choices, let's assess the actual situation at that time

but for fans, it's fun to debate, that's why we need lin more than CP3:grin:

16. Skyhoop

Skyhoop Member

I think every GM would disagree with you and say that you're wrong. I mean, if the draft was redone in hindsight, do you think he would still go undrafted? Or do you think he would not get a college scholarship if the college scouts knew then what they know now? It's not that hard to think he slipped through the cracks of the system, unless one subscribes to an authoritarian worldview that places too much infallibility in the incumbent system.

There have been many articles written explaining why he slipped through the cracks in terms of college scouting. Part of it was likely due to unconscious racial stereotypes. Part of it was the style of play. Part of it was due to timing of his injury, recovery, and college application timing. Part of it are the inherent flaws in the scouting system.

And then in terms of NBA drafting, he had the knock of being from Harvard. This made it harder to evaluate him compared to more well-known schools in tougher conferences. And the credence given to the basketball schools ensured that the early flaws and bias in the college scouting situation snowballed, since many NBA scouts would erroneously think as you do that surely the college scouts couldn't be wrong if he's not placed into a top BBall school. Add on top of that whatever unconscious racial stereotypes that might or might not be in effect in the back of people's minds that they wouldn't even realize.

Finally, the being cut from teams situation was a mix of happenstance as well. From the fact that GSW and Rox were stacked at PG and needing to cut roster space for a Center, to GSW coaches doubting him due to the media speculation that he was only chosen for marketing (the then-coach of the Warriors is the current-coach of the Kings, 'nuff said about his competence), to the lockout meaning Lin didn't get a fair evaluation following improvements made in the off-season.

If you examine each step along the way, it's perfectly reasonable why he slipped between the cracks. There are flaws in the system, yes, even in this day an age. There have been all-stars that have been undrafted in ages past. And while there have been improvements in scouting in this day and age, flaws remain in the system. It was one of the reasons his story was so compelling and unique, that he happened to expose many of those flaws and just outright unlucky happenstances.

And I'm sure many here have already seen Nate Silver's article about Jeremy's upside before: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/jeremy-lin-is-no-fluke/

Nate Silver is a nationally renown statistician, and a person whom Morey has tweeted about and sided with in the national election year presidential polling analysis debates. Silver's analysis shows Lin in good company in terms of upside potential. Odds are that Lin will not be average or mediocre. The analysis shows he'll likely be a legitimate all-star (not because of votes from China, but based on merit) for at least 1 season in his career at some point. Maybe he'll be an All-star on the Rockets and help win a championship. Maybe he'll be an All-star on another team after he leaves the Rockets and further develops and has a good season. But he'll likely be a legitimate (not China vote dependent) all-star at some point, even if only for 1 year, based on Silver's numbers.

1 person likes this.
  17. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wvx5JMZzUUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Right on.

19. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Agreed.

20. conquistador#11

lol. no way you feel that way!
    =/