1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The truth(s?) about Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Sports2012

Sports2012 Member

Great analysis of the environmental obstacles Lin has gone through in his NBA career.

2. yanghan84

yanghan84 Member

two things:

1. lin is still very young. young pgs make mistakes. it takes time to learn and develop. in fact, this team is young, people need to be more forgiving to players and to this team. this team is way too young to win. name one team in the history that is as young as the rockets and is a title contender. lin is already better than the 24 years old steve nash.

2. the intangibles that lin brings. lin hassels. he scarifies everything to win. he always plays at 100%. you can fault his lack of skill, but not his effort. i think this is extremely important to a young team.

3. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

One thing to remember, we still have not seen his true game in a rockets jersey. when he was in ny he took a lot of mid range jumpers and was rather successful at it. that was actually his bread and butter, in addition to driving of course. moreyball totally takes that away from him. add in harden and you get what we have today.

give lin a competent big to pnr with (all the time) and give him the freedom to shoot mid range shots, then evaluate... right now he's a shell of his former linsanity.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

And yet this year his ts% is comparable and his eFG% is better than last year.

5. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

and imagine if he took more mid range shots? it would be even higher. that's my point. he is better than his numbers suggest, but one would only know this if they actually watched him play last year.

6. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Lol no it wouldn't. And I watched plenty last year.

7. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

dude, everyone can believe whatever they want, but my point is that unless he is put in a position to show what he can do, then people are just judging the book by its cover. let him play his style (given the green light) and if he sucks, he sucks. but to say he sucks while never actually seeing him play is obtuse. lts not act as if this year is truly representative of how he would play if given the freedom to do so...

8. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Never said anything about him sucking.

Your original post implied that making him shoot less mid range was bad for his game. The fact is that it isn't bad for his game. He had some really bad shooting slumps this year yet his eFG% is better overall and his TS% is just a little lower.

Morey making him take statistically better shots is good. It would not be better for him to shoot more midrange.

9. liunatic

liunatic Member

eFG% being higher does not indicate consistency. Three pointers inflate eFG%. I think what the other person is saying is Jeremy would be scoring more consistently at a more predictable rate, albiet lower rate. Whereas now, he may have a higher eFG% but his scoring consistency is wildly inconsistent.

It then becomes what you want prefer (going to use a very bastardized example to illustrate this point):
    1) I shoot 25%, 25%, then 25% and 100% 4 games in a row. My overall shooting percentage is: 43.75%
    2) I shoot 43.75%, 43.75%, 43.75%, 43.75% for 4 games in a row. My overall shooting percentage is 43.75%

Both field goal percentages are the same, but which one is more favorable? I am led to believe that most people on this board would prefer consistency out of Lin, so would opt for 2. However, since the mid-range jumpshot is the lowest %eFG, it is the one type of shot that the offense tries to avoid shooting. Unfortunately, this just happens to be Jeremy Lin's most consistent form of offense (especially when people crowd the lanes to prevent drives)

10. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

i disagree. he isnt a natural 3 pt shooter. shooting mid range jumpers and driving is all he realistically should do. can he work on his 3s? of course, but as is, he shouldnt be shooting os many 3s.

11. Type Raba

Type Raba Member

im glad somebody gets it. if his defender goes under the pick he can knock down the jumper with consistency. this was proven in ny. if they go over, his good first step will leave them behind. if they switch, his first step will also beat most bigs. the problem with moreyball is that shooting jumpers is discouraged and so he doesnt shoot as often as he should. instead the defenders know already what he will do in this offense and so he is easy to defend...

12. RocketFever

RocketFever Member

If you throw out his first month of play due to coming back from a moderately serious knee surgery, Lin would be around 8th in terms of FG% for a starting point guard, and that's with him taking more 3 pointers than I think he's comfortable with. Assuming he stays healthy, if he only moderately improves his jumper next year, and we start getting more "favorable team" calls from the Refs, there's no reason why he can't be top 5 in FG%, and that's w/o him really playing his desired type of game.

13. Bublanski

Bublanski Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's definitely frustrating to watch these putrid performances for him because its known that he can play much better. He can start by taking more shots and being aggressive.

I think we need this season and one more to properly gauge what he's going to be. Difficult for this youthful generation where instant gratification or bust social media age.

14. jocar

jocar Member

Yessyesyes.
    Nononooo. Scouting tells them to pack the paint and give Lin the shot. But he's more inclined to drive because that's what he feels more confident doing. Shooting 2pt jumpers is not discouraged by anyone, unless you have mentally blocked out the countless jumpers Rockets have taken -without the FO or coach getting on them for it. It's more accurate to say that our offense allows for less open jumpers. It's just tougher to get off open midrange shots in this spread offense, which is designed to open the lane for Lin and Harden, at the cost of a defensively crowded inner perimeter.

15. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/aw5y-7XmHuk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

Joker ... mid range jump shots are not preferred in the Rockets system. Nobody said you can't take them. But they're not preferred. And players tend to (try to) stick to the system.

17. mike_lu

mike_lu Member

To be honest, I don't know how you could have slipped through any decent developed-country education system with this analysis. I mean, if any college accepted you, either the college system is flawed, or that college is incapable to deciphering students worth educating.

And no ... no man ever were employed by Goldman Sachs/Morgan Stanley without an Ivy League education. In fact, there have been no success stories in this world without going through the proper route that 100% of the people must go through.

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Whatever reason he was bypassed in the draft or even college,then that's. Just what it is. Even if the lame reason was he went to harvard and that's why he didn't get drafted,we've sen guys from so called none basketball schools get drafted in the 2nd rd. If gms thought he was a near all star talent,they would've pegged that his sophmore year in college. Now, I've never said he couldn't be solid,but to expect near all star from a non drafted,3 times cut guy is asking a lot. I mean teams blow 2nd rd picks like they were nothing especially a
    late rd pick. We see international players with grainy vide get drafted. The prigioni from ny. Shev from minny was drafted despite having rubio.
    yers with grainy video tape getting drated

19. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Near all stars very,very,rarely go undrafted in this day and age. The last 2 I can think of brad miller and ben wallace,both big guys. So say what you want,but that's 2 guys out of 1000s. In those guys case,they proved themselves to be good players over seasons,not 17 game stretch. We were talking about brad miller when he flashed as a rookie in like 2001. Ben wallace flashed as a unique rebounding and defensive beast on that .500 orlando team.

20. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

do you mean signed? Both Pablo Prigioni and Alexey Shved went undrafted. Those guys also have played at the pro level in Europe and their senior national teams.

Shved has been scouted since 2006.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Euroleague-Final-Four-Junior-Tournament-1287/