1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Feb 7, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

1. Trade it Away

14.5%
  2. Draft Blake Bortles, QB, UCF

1.2%
  3. Draft Jake Matthews, OT, Texas A&M

0.6%
  4. Draft Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville

27.5%
  5. Draft Jadeveon Clowney, DE, South Carolina

30.1%
  6. Draft Greg Robinson, OT, Auburn

1.0%
  7. Draft Johnny Manziel, QB, Texas A&M

25.1%
  1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I agree with the part about the Texans not getting a chance to draft a better QB prospect in the coming years if they pass on one at #1 this year. First, I don't think Mariota would go 1st in this years draft. Hundley may not even have gone in the first round. So passing on Bridgewater and Manziel with the thought that we could do better with one of those two next year doesn't make sense to me. Second, the Texans will probably be drafting too low in the next couple of years to be in position to draft a better QB prospect than what's available this year.

That doesn't mean you have to take a QB #1, but it does mean that you need a plan for how to get a QB. You have to acknowledge that whatever QB you draft in the 2nd or 3rd probably won't become a franchise guy and that a mid 1st round QB in 2015/16 probably has lesser odds of panning out than Bridgewater or Manziel. Those two may not be Luck/Griffin, but you're probably not going to get a better chance to find your franchise QB if you pass on them.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unless BOB is just lying every time he says that he doesn't see much separation between the top 7 QB prospects, it means he either doesn't think very highly of those guys at the top or that he thinks he can get basically the same caliber of QB in the second round. Either way, that would point to a non-QB being selected.

Of course there is a chance that he's just lying every single time he says it and that he really loves one of the top QB prospects, but I don't think that's very likely.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't know if he really doesn't see much separation, but if he thinks they're all going to end up essentially the same then he's an idiot. That just doesn't happen.

I take that back. I guess they could all suck and none become starting caliber QBs. But if that's the case, then OB shouldn't bother even spending a 2nd or 3rd on one.

Odds are that 5 years from now, we'll look at this QB class and say that one guy is clearly better than the rest. It's OB's job to figure out who that will be.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

As to the first part, I think he really doesn't see much separation because the perceived top of this class is weak. The real strength of this class is its depth.

I would agree that there will probably be one or maybe two guys from this class that are seen as better than the rest in 5 years, but there's a good chance that neither of them are first round picks.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

People are too used to aw shucks Kubiak keeping no secrets.

BOB is doing "the polite Belichick". He's not going to give anything away. He'll talk a bunch and say nothing.

People never, ever, ever correctly predict NE's draft picks. There are never any leaks. Look at all the FA moves they've made. That entire week everybody was freaking out, they were totally silent. Nobody saw their exact FA strategy coming.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When was the last time they had the first pick though? There's not really a reason to "lie" when no one can trade up ahead of you and take the guy you want and you aren't saying something to keep trade value high by running down the top of the QB class.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's time for a new poll BTW. All of the important prospects have had their Pro Day and Combine, this poll was from before either. I think it would be fun to gauge where the fans who post here are at now and see if it is similar to where they were months ago.

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's just a general value thing. Like "always work hard", and "be accountable", you should "always keep your $#!^ to yourself". When you get up in the morning and go to work, you don't exactly know how hard work that day will pay off, but as a rule you assume if you do so, it will eventually.

Also, if they draft another position first, they'll presumably draft one later, so there is potential advantage in not giving away what you think. There is never a disadvantage to keeping a poker face. The worst case is that it is equal to blabbing your plans to everybody.

I've heard a ton about Belichick harassing other teams' sideline reporters during games until they leave the Pats' sideline. The situation where you actually lose valuable information to the other team's coach from a sideline reporter is pretty far fetched. It is just valuing secrecy for the sake of secrecy. It is an information security mindset.

#1788 Ottomaton, Apr 3, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Trade it away shouldn't be an option either. Everybody is willing to trade the pick, but what you get in return is what decides it.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Sammy Watkins was named to the AP All American Team as a first year freshmen.... Herschel Walker, Marshall Faulk, and Adrian Peterson, are the only other players that have accomplished that. No other wide receiver has ever done that.

Obviously silly...??? Maybe _ maybe not...

11. Fantasma Negro

12. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

It is and has always been Clowney. These QB's are not Manning/Brees/Brady/Rodgers talent level, and Clowney is on a level higher than most. Defense wins chips, Offense looks pretty. If Trent Dilfer can lead a chip, and there is no Manning, you take JD.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Or Manziel, either pick is OK with me.

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Texans picking Manziel would be like Hurricane Isaac. One of the worst things that have ever happened to this city.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Debatable. It flushed out some of Katrina's crap that got moved to Houston.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As we reported last week, Blake Bortles is visiting today and Johnny Manziel next week. Teddy Bridgewater coming to Houston next week too.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/statuses/456464854987972608">April 16, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. HoustonTejanos

John McClain should just stop tweeting. We understand the Texans are bringing in 40 different guys to Houston on a visit. Stop listing this crap as if you are getting credible information.

18. tmacfor35

I think the Texans should trade down if they feel one of these guys are going to be their franchise guy.

Take Clowney.

Trade there 2.1 and another pick to get low enough to sneak out one of the QB's.

19. tmacfor35

John is just doing his job. Settle down.

20. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I think Manziel's career is going to be on the same level (not style of play) as a Brees, Favre, Young type career. Get you a title and keep in contention for others. In no way will it be one of the worst things to ever happen to this city.