1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official state your postion thread!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by chrispbrown, Jun 1, 2013.

1. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

We know were a lot of posters on here sit as far as being labeled conservative or liberal, but lets lay down our official position on some hot topics. No debate just list your side.

Gay marriage: All for it. Allow marriage in every state.

mar1juana: Legalize it.

Gun laws: Definitely background checks. Assault weapons specifically should have very intense research. And large magazines should be banned all together.

IRS: Tea party groups were clearly targeted, but I think it was a lazy parameter in reaction to the supposed greater amount of conservative nonprofits. I think that they did do the right thing in scrutinizing the nonprofit status and should continue to, for conservative, liberal, and everything between.

Syria: Do NOT send weapons. Of course getting weapons to the "good" rebels, and stabilizing a country is what everyone wants, but in the end the strongest group, good or bad, will end up with the weapons. I think with the Russians taking the side of Assad we can run into a huge problem by somewhat opposing them.

Benghazi: Prevent the attack? Doubt it. I don't think the administration lied, but they were not thorough or precise enough in their statements.

DPRK: Screw these clowns. I think it is China's job to police them. No regulations or negotiations will help because they just will not listen.

DOJ: I do not know too much about what is going on here...

Well these are all my opinions, I might oppose or agree with you, lets not debate here, just lay out your side!

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Trayvon Martin was a CIA hitman.

3. Felixthecat

Felixthecat Contributing Member

No no...he was black at the wrong time and place.

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Missionary.

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

That's just me at Cavender's. He was also saying and doing the wrong thing to the wrong kind of person. Simon Says, ID and alibi on you at all times.

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Statist. Big countries need big institutions: commercially, militarily, educationally an administratively, and the people who run them will be a little richer or more powerful than you'd like. Politics may be local, but so are rape, robbery and racial segregation.

7. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Politically, very close to but not quite fascist. Has a lot of changes, largely because since fascism is above a cultural movement, it stands to reason that it will be different in different cultures and 21st American culture is nothing like 1930s Italy.

As for your issues:

Gay Marriage: An utterly stupid issue. Have no opinion at all, and that doesn't mean the standard "live as you let live" by most people, it means that I don't care if it's banned or not.

Pot: Extremely ambivalent. What worries me about pot legalization isn't so much pot legalization. What worries me is that it could potentially set a precedent to legalize other drugs which should stay illegal, as things like cocaine and meth very well can fall under the "do what you want with your body", which I don't accept.

Syria: Syria will be Iran's Vietnam, who will have no choice but to send in weapons and money to bolster its one ally in the Middle East. Do what is necessary to prolong the war, not win it for either side, in order to keep that up.

DPRK: An invasion of the country seriously has to be analyzed at this stage. Not considered, but an absolute assessment of what will happen if we do has to be discussed. And we need to absolutely prepare for the worst. Aside from that, continue the status quo of harsh sanctions and tight monitoring must continue.

Benghazi: Staggering incompetence in the State Department, and if Hilary was still around, I'd probably call for her resignation. But I don't really blame Obama for it.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Etymologically I consider it a loaded term like "cult:" people use the literal, broadly applicable and somewhat benign definition to classify some mainstream group they don't like, while trading in on the body count and lunacy of the term's most notable examples to convey a more damning moral image of the defined subject. If you're so inclined, further explanation on your part might forestall that in this thread.

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

The argument for legalizing mar1juana has very little to do with "do what you want with your body" and MUCH more to do with "it is no worse for you than alcohol or tobacco". which I can assure you is a fact.

Ceasing the criminalization of mar1juana would cut down on law enforcement costs, less casual users running thru the legal system, and if properly regulated can help with our money problems by taxing it like tobacco/alcohol.

There is so real valid reason for mar1juana to be illegal...like alot of ancient laws on our books it stems from religious reasons that have nothing to do with our current society and knowledge level of the specifics of the plant.

GladiatorRowdy made many detailed posts/threads on the subject which fully explains what Im too lazy to go into details about.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=63243

he has much more...start here and pick and choose which thread to read. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/forumdisp...=postusername&order=asc&daysprune=-1&page=249

#9 Rockets2K, Jun 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Anarcho-capitalist/ anarcho-libertarian/ anarchist/ libertarian.

I use different labels depending on who I'm talking to, because different words mean different things to different people.

But basically, it is wrong to initiate violence, and private property is legitimate. (Again, in some crowds I would just say one or the other as they would find them redundant.)

From these two principles, all my political views are derived.

11. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

You may have good intentions, but there's quite a bit of stuff in Gladiator's post which makes me less likely to support legalization - from a limit to what you can purchase ( I prefer to get my cigars in bulk, not to mention guys buying drinks for a party or something) to the very fact that he doesn't say "regulated mar1juana use", he says "regulated drug use".

I also seriously disagree with your first statement, though that may be due to having quite a few libertarian friends. Most play both the "mar1juana isn't that dangerous", something I'll observe myself and the "who cares if it's dangerous? I can do what I can want with my own body" thing.

If we're legalizing mar1juana for the first reason, that I can get behind to some degree. Legalizing mar1juana for the second reason is a hell no from me.

I'll say a few things on it.

Like I said, I'm more quasi-fascist than actual fascist, though largely that's because at the end of the day, fascism is fairly difficult to properly define. The main problem I have with it is quite simple:
    1. Fascism generally calls for an authoritarian government.
    2. Fascism is a cultural movement and thus devotes itself to defending the nation's culture.
    3. American culture is extremely democratic.
    The contradiction is obvious. I generally favor preserving the democratic culture to authoritarianism, which may or may not be the fascist ideal. But that has limits, because I've mentioned before on this board that I don't think democracy is an absolute good. It's good so long as it provides good government, and if democracy ever threatens the nation ( for example, if the right wing nutjob delusion of Obama signing away American sovereignty to the UN actually came true), then I would call for its end.

I'll go into the logic of fascist thought if anyone asks ( I'll simply note that I think Americans simply can't understand it initially - because understanding fascism without understanding Marxism first is basically impossible and most Americans don't bother to do that), but I'll simply observe one thing. All Nazi are fascists. Not all fascists are Nazis.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I like the woman on top, unless she wants me there. Sideways can be good, as well. I love talking about positions, but would much rather use them.

13. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Gay marriage: Should be exactly like any marriage. Also, it should simply be called "marriage."

mar1juana: Legalize it and regulate it exactly like alcohol.

Gun laws: Required background checks for any sale. Reduced magazine sizes.

IRS: Fire the people responsible, but I don't smell any larger conspiracy. Just stupid employees and perhaps a stupid director. Fire 'em all.

Syria: Don't do anything. This isn't Libya; the government there didn't have Russian support behind them. Syria is too sticky of a situation to get involved in. Aid refugees in other countries as best we can, but do not interfere otherwise.

Benghazi: Much ado about nothing. Stop the politicking and get to solving the actual problem: preventing this from happening in the future. A tragedy should not be used as a political football.

DPRK: Sanction, sanction, sanction. Like Syria, it's about all you can do with China/Russia backing the government. China seems to be growing tired of the DPRK though...

DOJ: Need better laws on privacy, especially of the press. Federal wiretapping is getting out of control.

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I sometimes sit to pee just so I can read **** on my phone.

I hate mayo, tuna in a can and boiled eggs, but I love a homemade tuna fish sandwich.

My Boxer farts in bed and my wife thinks it's me. This is bull crap.

I smell the farts. Can't help it.

Legalize so I can choose my mood weed instead of relying on the suppliers. I might want happy, or chill, or energy. Give me a choice and I'll pay the damn tax.

1 person likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Well you and I agree on pretty much all points. And I didn't even ha e to type all that out. Good job : )

17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.

18. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Gay marriage: Marriage is none of the state's business. They are separate institutions.

mar1juana: Large cash crop and should be decriminalized along with other criminalized substances. The state should have no control over what a person chooses to injest.

Gun laws: Not supportive of bans and I disagree with price control measures. Background checks are necessary. I disagree with licencing. Owning a weapon is not a privlage afforded to us by the state.

IRS: Abolish it.

Syria: Mind our own business and our we'll prosper. We don't stand anyting to gain and have a lot to lose by meddling in the affairs of others.

Benghaz: Again, mind our own business.

DPRK: Mind our own business. If attack us, destroy them. Our military capability exceeds anything they're capable of.

DOJ: Strip it down. Put somebody who isn't bought and paid for in charge of administration. Do not execute drug war legislation. Pardon political prisoners. Prosecute terrorists for their crimes.

1 person likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Gay marriage: Don't care. Marriage in this country is all screwed up anyway.

mar1juana: Generally against legalization, but really don't care too much. Oppose legalization of other drugs. And prostitution. And gambling.

Gun laws: Oppose all gun rights.

IRS: Don't care; haven't even been able to read a whole article on it without falling asleep.

Syria: Do what we can for a diplomatic negotiation without getting involved in the violence. If that means the Russians win, so be it.

Benghazi: Yeah, State Dept screwed up. Yeah, they tried to cover their asses. I get it. I don't need to talk about it anymore. I hope they fix their security problems. Will this dissaude me from voting for Hillary? No, I probably wouldn't have voted for her anyway.

DPRK: Negotiate with China to deal with them. Otherwise status quo until they start something and then beat their asses.

DOJ: Don't care.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Gay marriage: Allow it. I'm fine with states slowly coming around, or implementing U.S. Law.

mar1juana: Legalization, with taxes/regulation.

Gun laws: Assault wepaon ban should be reinstated. Background checks/registration required for all gun sales.

IRS: What about them? Some organization will always be required to enforce tax laws in this country.

Syria: Keep to ourselves

Benghazi: I'm not following it anymore. Tired of spending so much effort into something that isn't going to bring those people back to life. Tragic.

DPRK: Keep to ourselves

DOJ: I don't know what you want to know.