1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Official state your postion thread!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by chrispbrown, Jun 1, 2013.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

As long as you don't get in my way in the pick and roll I'm good.

Wait, wrong thread?

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

At this point, Anarcho syndicalism is mostly aspirational. It's impossible to even have a political discussion if you stick to those ideals, given how far all countries are from anything resembling it. So I don't disagree with it, but I do realize that at this point it is more of a "shoot for the stars, hope to land on the moon" kind of situation.

It also makes it very difficult to have political discussions with anyone who treats all non-statists as if they are your stereotypical chaos loving black flag worshipping anarchists. At this point it is impossible for most people, even if we don't believe in statism, to fathom a world without statism... and most political discussions silently make the assumption that statism is absolute.

1 person likes this.
  3. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

It's less "I can't fathom a world without statism" in regards to anarcho-syndicalism and more "I can't fathom a world without hierarchy."

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

In a top down world, statism defines (or at least molds) hierarchy. Having lived in perhaps the most top-down system in the world, I can tell you it absolutely defines hierarchy in public institutions, private institutions, familial relationships, everything.

There is obviously no world without hierarchy. Anarcho syndicalism is not as much about whether there should be hierarchy or not, it's about the difference between legitimate and illegitimate hierarchial power, how they are formed, and how your contribution to society is measured and rewarded.

Also, I think you misunderstood my post. It was intended to say no one - not even the purest anarcho syndacalist - can truly fathom a world without statism because statism has dominated every aspect of our political life. We know nothing else, except in theory.

To date there are barely a handful of examples of something resembling a modern anarcho syndacalist society (for example the Kibbutzim some decades ago). It is almost purely theoretical at this juncture, unlike other socio-political ideologies which have been at least partially tested on a grand scale.

1 person likes this.
  5. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

<object width="416" height="234" classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="ep_1005"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="wmode" value="transparent" /><param name="movie" value="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_embed_2x_container.swf?site=cnn&profile=desktop&context=embedwww&videoId=us/2013/06/05/lead-michelle-obama-heckler-cnn-exclusive.cnn&contentId=us/2013/06/05/lead-michelle-obama-heckler-cnn-exclusive.cnn" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><embed src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/apps/cvp/3.0/swf/cnn_embed_2x_container.swf?site=cnn&profile=desktop&context=embedwww&videoId=us/2013/06/05/lead-michelle-obama-heckler-cnn-exclusive.cnn&contentId=us/2013/06/05/lead-michelle-obama-heckler-cnn-exclusive.cnn" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" bgcolor="#000000" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="416" wmode="transparent" height="234"></embed></object>

I don't care what you believe!

haha!

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Michelle was awesome there. That was great.

7. bobmarley

Of course she was Jay Carney! Brilliant!

[​IMG]

8. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

It must really worry you that she had a strong positive moment in the face of a heckler. I'm not sure why it's so troubling for you. That's odd.

9. bobmarley

The woman was a LGBT activist.

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes, the heckler was. So were the people hosting Michelle Obama, and many others attending who chose to have the heckler activist leave and Michelle to stay.

11. bobmarley

Yes because I would ask the FLOTUS to leave. The lady though I disagree with her politics had a point. The Obama administration has kind of forgotten the LGBT groups who helped them get into the oval office.

But then again, why should anyone believe what the most transparent administration should have to say even when they scrub Mrs. O's comments on the official WH transcript, haha.

12. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

Bob thanks for coming in and contributing nothing...too scared to even state your opinions!

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What the hell is a "postion"?!?!? :confused:

I know it's not related to an apostrophe, a posture, or a basketball player on the low post. :(

14. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Hey, that's what she......never mind. :grin:
    Peace and Love Dr.SwoLY

15. langal

langal Contributing Member

I'm as big a pot supporter as anyone and have a Medical Card (live in SoCal).

They should legalize it but it should be heavily regulated. In the San Fernando Valley you can't throw a dead cat without hitting a pot shop now. A lot of them have a constant weed smell leaking out into the streets. Some of the guys working there are totally stoned most of the day.

While I am totally for legalization, I sort of wish some big corporations would come in and "clean up". A lot of these small ("hippie-run"?) shops are sort of hurting their own cause in a way.