1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The day after - Clowney...or should we have traded down?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Plowman, May 9, 2014.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Now, with dawn breaking, the first round is over, Clowney is a Texan....JC is obviously the consensus #1 , and who I would have taken should we have held onto the pick.
    Even so, I'm left with a hollow feeling because I think we missed out on a rare opportunity to trade down and pick up at minimum, a NICE haul. While, we won't know for awhile what the Texans were offered, I'm curious as to your thoughts.

2. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

They were asking 3 first round draft picks in return. That's a lot and I don't think any team was willing to offer that.

On the other hand, we've selected the best talent in the draft ... but I would have traded down.

3. Remii

Remii Member

I bet O'Brien feels the same way...

4. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

The problem is we really dont know what was offered for #1. There were a lot of rumors and smoke out there but what is actually true may be totally different.

5. Indaface

Indaface Member

Seems like much wasn't offered, the only team that traded up was Buffalo. If they couldn't get the kings ransom then i'm ok with them taking Clowney.

6. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

All you can 100% assume they were offered is what the Bills offered the Browns. They sent the ninth overall pick along with their first- and fourth-round selections in 2015 to Cleveland. I think most teams knew we weren't taking a QB, so unless they wanted Clowney and wanted him REALLY bad, they weren't going to pay what the Texans would be looking for to make it a "nice haul".

7. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Just a meh draft

Hopefully it all works out

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I would have been okay with Buffalo's trade if Barr was available.

9. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I'm disappointed we didn't trade down, because I think we have a lot of holes to fill. I don't think we are one or two players away from being a playoff team. However, it's impossible to know how all this will pan out in the end. In a couple of years we will really have a better idea what we should and should not have done. It's so much easier to know what should be done a couple years later.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Did you hear this directly from O'Brien, Smith or McNair?

11. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Schefty or Rappaport reported a deal akin to that. However, the texans were in no mans land. Just take the best player and be done with it.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

no. if the plan is to go defense, you take the best defensive player available, Clowney.

13. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

You also have to consider that Rick Smith doesn't exactly have the best track record with extra later round picks.

14. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

He was the best guy and you want a kings ransom to give that pick up. On the other hand, what will the Texans have to give up next year to get Mariota if they aren't picking #1 overall? Or will Hundley or Bryce Petty be options for them?

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If this year shows you anything its that prognosticating about the QB order or where guys go a year in advance is pretty much a waste of time.

Winston, Mariota, Hundley... and a few more who haven't even shown themselves yet (where was Bortles on everybody's map this time last year?) will all be in consideration as potential targets for teams that needs a QB... and they could all be at the top, or slip down to the 2nd-4th rounds depending on their year, workouts, combine, and pro-days.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In negotiations you always want to set the opening bar high to your side so you can still get the better deal when you compromise. We do not know what if any offers they had for the #1 so it would be hard to say you're disappointed.

17. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I want to have the most badass defence in the league.

Clowney can take us a step further.

Now we absolutely need to improve our secondary.

18. Summer Song Giver

Hope he can play Outside LB, god what a joke this franchise is.

19. Remii

Remii Member

If the plan was to go defense they should have hired a 4-3 defense minded head coach instead of an offensive minded head coach and a 3-4 defensive coordinator.

1 person likes this.
  20. Summer Song Giver

They are a ship without a rudder.