1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The day after - Clowney...or should we have traded down?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Plowman, May 9, 2014.

1. Remii

Remii Member

More like a busted up boat without a lake.

And Romeo is in a world of trouble because if they don't do good next year and or if that defense isn't dominant. Everyone will blame him and let Smith and O'Brien skate. Just like with Kubiak and Mario.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

The media will clown Clowney.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Nobody was offering anything man!

4. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Remember, Cushing is coming back. His presence alone make the defense much better. Then you add Clowney to the mix? Andrew Luck is already sweating.

5. Remii

Remii Member

They were giving up 30 points a game (23 minus the pick 6's) with Cushing on the field before he got hurt...

And Luck beat the breaks off of the Seattle defense and the San Francisco defense last year and he had a bad offensive line and a weak receiving core which they already fixed this off-season... He ain't worried. Tennessee and Jacksonville fixed their offensive lines too...

And can Cushing, Clowney, and Watt block for Fitzpatrick and throw TD's for Fitzpatrick...??? The Texans quarterback better have his head on a swivel this year.

6. Remii

Remii Member

Buffalo...???

7. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

they wanted a WR... and we would have asked for quite a bit more.

8. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

You do realize some of the best defenses in history were 34 defenses. Additionally, in a pass heavy league, a 34 defense can pressure a qb from multiple angles. A creative d-coordinator can come with endless blitz packages to send 4 pass rushers at qb. A well ran 34 defense can be very difficult to attack. Whereas, in a 43 defense an opposing offense will see the same 4 pass rushers most downs (2 de's and 2 dt's). Of course you can always use a well timel zone blitz and send and-lineman into coverage, but who would you rather drop in a zone, a linebacker or a d-lineman. To sum it all up a 34 keeps your better athletes on the field. So in this new age of no huddle run and gun offense, which would you rather? For me I want my best 11 athletes on the field

9. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

are you suggesting we should have traded just to say we did it... Its pretty obvious they were trying to trade it all the way up to the last minute, if nobody was offering anything good there isn't much they could have done.

10. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

Sorry for the typos, auto correct on my phone sucks

11. Remii

Remii Member

Yes I realize that but both Clowney and J.J. are built for a 4-3 defense. And Seattle runs a 4-3 defense... Since that's who everyone wants to be like.

12. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

After reading some of these threads I beginning to wonder if some of you even understand football. Is clowney going to put more people in the seats? Probably not. Is Johnny Manziel more of a celebrity that could keep the texans in the spot light? Probably so. But drafting a clowney first will make an I want impact next year. None of the qbs that were taken last night are going to make an instant impact next year, they will need to develop a year or two. John Gruden, who has devoted his time to evaluating college qbs, also believes the top qbs in this draft are projects and not finished products. So naturally, clowney gives us a better chance to win next year.

13. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

After reading some of these threads I beginning to wonder if some of you even understand football. Is clowney going to put more people in the seats? Probably not. Is Johnny Manziel more of a celebrity that could keep the texans in the spot light? Probably so. But drafting clowney first will make an instant impact next year. None of the qbs that were taken last night are going to make an instant impact next year, they will need to develop a year or two. John Gruden, who has devoted his time to evaluating college qbs, also believes the top qbs in this draft are projects and not finished products. So naturally, clowney gives us a better chance to win next year.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

I kept telling you, the #1 pick is not that easy to trade.

15. Remii

Remii Member

Just the same they still could have traded out that pick so someone was offering something. Personally I would have been happy with that trade.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Actually I wanted the Texans to draft Blake (because I believe that's who O'Brien wanted), or Watkins (because he's the best "PLAYER" in this draft), or Robinson. I like Johnny but I don't believe O'Brien wanted him (or Teddy).

And what is it you expect to win next year. 3 or 4 more games...???

Funny thing is all last season when we were losing 14 straight games NO ONE was beating on the table saying we needed a OLB. Mostly everyone was complaining about the offensive line and the quarterback position.

17. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

Just because clowney played in 4-3 in college doesn't make him more well suited. You can't make that judgement until he plays in a 3-4. He could get to camp and find that the two point stance provides him a quicker first step to rush the passer and use his athleticism. Look at Terrell Suggs, played with his hand down in college also in a 43, and is now a stand-up edge rusher in the nfl. One could argue, when healthy, that Suggs is one of the best edge players in the league. Now just imagine the chaos our defense can cause, because clowney has a higher ceiling than Suggs ever did. Lastly, jj watt better suited for a 43!?!? His whole nfl career he has played in a 34 defense, which has worked perfectly. In a 4-3 watt would be a defensive end. Personally, I don't think that watt has the speed for an edge guy in a 4-3.

18. Remii

Remii Member

I'm not making that judgment. His own college head coach said he's better with his hand in the dirt.

And some guys transition to standing up easy and some don't. Just look at the history of the Texans. Remember Babin. And look at Whitney and Brooks who are still trying to learn and you guys are already ready to throw them out...

But it doesn't matter. Having a great defense in this day and age is more about the defensive line, being strong up the middle, and the secondary. To have a great defense you have to have good to great safety play (or corner play). That's why you saw so many DB's particularly safeties fly off the board in the 1st round.

That's how Seattle's and Pittsburgh's (when they were good) built their defenses. That's why they can have late round and or undrafted edge rushers thrive in their defense. That's how San Francisco's defense is built. That's why they were statistically better when Aldon Smith was out.

That's probably why Gus passed up on Mack and took a quarterback.

19. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

You are absolutely right, there have been hybrid lb/de's that could not make the adjustment to olb in a 3-4. You even went to name, babin, merciluss, brooks. Personally, the verdict is still out on Whitney. He still y

20. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

You are absolutely right, there have been hybrid lb/de's that could not make the adjustment to olb in a 3-4. You even went to name, babin, merciluss, brooks. Personally, the verdict is still out on Whitney. He still young and has shown some flashes as being a good player. Let's see how he does in Romeo's system. Brooks reed has also made some big plays on the edge. However, neither player has the length, height, nor the speed and quickness of clowney. In Romeo's system, the outside linebacker will be in the stand up position, reading and reacting, playing the run, and be sent into zone coverage from time to time. Very similar to how a stand up end would play in your old school 52 defense. However, in passing situations, the outside backer puts their hand in the dirt to rush the passer. This is how willie mcginest and dick vraebel were used in Romeo's system. This is also how Parcells used Laurence Taylor. Coaches will find ways to use their best athletes and clowney was by far the best athlete last night. Some have even suggested that clowney is the best defensive prospect in the last 20 years. Secondly, your argument lost all credibility when you compared clowney to babin