1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans make me appreciate the Rockets a lot more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Dec 14, 2014.

1. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Yup. 2005 you had to pray you'd find tickets to an Astros game

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

They've both been just as mediocre in the recent years. The Texans are actually our most recent team to have success in the playoffs. Yes, the Rockets are 18-5....in the regular season. Just like the Texans were 11-1 in at one point in 2012, but only to ultimately unravel towards the end of the season.

Hopefully these Rockets are different from how history has gone and continue to stay hot through the season and into the playoffs.

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

yes but the Rockets always contend, Texans seemed to be stuck at mediocre. 2012 was just a disastorous ending led up all the way into 2013 and we have yet to recover. Look at the "turmoil" of the Rockets this offseason. While yes it's still early 18-5 looks pretty good so far.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

In a league where more teams make the playoffs than don't, I don't consider a team failing to get out of the first round as a "contender".

Most knowledgable people I know have the ability to follow/root/be involved in both teams. The timing of the seasons is done like this for a reason... so that each sport gets its own mini-stage to itself.

Additionally, the NFL beats the NBA in every single city that has both teams... its not exclusive to Houston.

5. Play07

Play07 Member

Texans got out the first round twice recently or was that the rockets, did I miss something ?

teams looks good but all the talk about media, radio station not talking enough etc we heard it all last year at this time and what happened ?

wake me up when it playoffs...

6. Scientific1

Scientific1 Member

I still remember when Justice wrote an article slamming the Rox when we got Artest. How they were third fiddle behind the Texans and Astros.

The one true consistent winner in town, and the organization still cant get the kind of respect it should get. I love all three teams, but the Rockets will always be THE team imo.

7. joeson332

joeson332 Member

Harden's MVP consideration and the rise of the Motiejunas have been fun to watch.

8. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I missed those days, man I used to have sports talk on in my office all day and it was coverage of the astros non stop. Those were the days. Still I think the Texans who went 2-14 the year got way too much attention.

9. joeson332

joeson332 Member

a mediocre Texans season would be nice if the Astros were contenders. Well they're looking like a bright future ahead!

10. Ghost_of_Akeem

Texans will be garbage until they draft an elite QB, that's just the way the NFL is now. It's a QB driven league and even with the MVP season that Watt is having our team is still garbage and will likely miss the playoffs. Not Watt's fault for this, he's doing everything he can to help us win. But, if we had a QB who had as much talent as Watt we would actually be a much better team this year.

I stopped caring about the team when the Colts got Luck-y-. There is no point in watching the Texans anymore when we will be the Colts b****es for another 10 years, after we were Manning's b****es for an entire decade.

Oh well, we still have the Rockets! The only team in town that has ever won on the big stage! GO ROCKETS!

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Stupid thread. I love all Houston teams, especially the 3 major franchises, but let's pretend the Rockets have outdone the Texans since 2002. Sure, the Rockets have posted a better win percentage, but that gets nullified by their epic postseason flops. The Texans have won every playoff "series" they've been favored in, and haven't defied historical advantages such as losing series' after being up 2-0 and losing Game 7's at home. The OP is probably just not a football fan who's tired of hearing about the Texans on media outlets. This thread is merely backlash from football being more popular than basketball. It's cool man, we can all get along.

12. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Guess what? The Texans aren't garbage right now. They're .500. Mediocre. Average.

Stop hating on football because you don't really like football.

13. JazzLakerHater

I'm the exact same. Luck is so damn good, the Colts will dominate that division as long as he is wearing a Colts uniform. And unfortunately there's nothing even the great JJ Watt can do about it.

14. Ghost_of_Akeem

I love football, grew up playing it and my father played for UT in college. I'm just not a moron like most of the fans in Houston when it comes to football.

Mediocre, Average, fine. I will give you that. But, they're not a threat and will never be one until they land a player like Luck. JJ-Watt may do 1000 things well for us but its never going to be enough. We will lose this division to the Colts every single year he is healthy. Have fun and enjoy watching it.

15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

To supposedly be a "lover" of the Texans, you're very misinformed about them. Texans have had mediocre (at BEST) QB-play this entire season, yet they were one score from beating the great Luck-led Colts twice this year. Reality says INDY was "lucky" Andre fumbled without being touched on TNF. They didn't clinch the division until Week 15 in a game where 2 Houston QBs got injured... in a ONE score game. The Texans don't need an all-world QB to beat with them, they just need an above average one. Not sure how old you are, but in '99, the Spurs had a player who was CLEARLY much better than anything the Rockets had. Would you have stopped caring about them too? You MIGHT love football, but you don't LOVE the Texans.

#115 Houstunna, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  16. Ghost_of_Akeem

Luck is still a young QB, he will get better every season. To say we were unlucky this year against him in 2 games is fine, go ahead. I would disagree and say that we didn't have a defense that could stop him.

We had 2 QB's injured, 2 QB's who were garbage and would not have made a difference anyway. Our offense is garbage, we have nothing that makes other teams fear us.

Fear is earned, only if you have an elite QB. Until we get a QB who is on par with Rodgers or Brady or Manning, I won't be watching. Because the rules for NFL now are such that playing hard hitting defense will only draw fouls. We see it with the 49'ers right now, its why Harbaugh is going to quit the league. You can't play defensively the way you could back when Turkey Jones body slammed Terry Bradshaw.

NFL is only about protecting players now, so offense will dominate because they have nothing to fear from defenders. I remember watching Montana being taken out by the Giants, but those days are long gone.

If you want a winning team now, you need a QB. Defense is good but won't win it for you anymore.

17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Again... you're very misinformed. Texans held IND to 17 points in Indy. We stopped him that game.

Also, I don't think HOU was unlucky... I think Dre just F'd up. The Colts were lucky Dre f'd up.

^^This statement doesn't make sense.

I don't believe Fitz is "garbage"... and he isn't. He's mediocre IMO... the bottom-end of mediocre. BUT for kicks, let's say he is trash and Savage is too. How could such a garbage tandem only get beaten by one score against such a "powerhouse" that is the Colts at IND? The supposedly "garbage" Fitz didn't get blowout at HOU either.

Your exaggeration only leads one to believe you don't really like the Texans.

Also, Arian is a FEARED offensive player. The fact you don't already know that would only lead one to believe you don't really like the Texans.

This entire statement sounds like something you heard from media outlets.

Here's a real clue..... Seattle won last season mostly from defense and a strong running game. They DESTROYED a historically great offense (DEN) and historically great QB (Manning) to win the SuperBowl. The beat-down was so bad, the Broncos were in jeopardy of becoming the first team to be shutout in an SB.

It's cool, man. If you don't really like the Texans, it's okay. Just stop fronting.

You never answered my question about Duncan and the Rockets either. That's cool too.

#117 Houstunna, Dec 18, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  18. Balldon'tlie

Balldon'tlie Member

:grin::grin::grin::grin:

19. Balldon'tlie

Balldon'tlie Member

Despite how you feel, the Texans are trash as currently constructed and aren't winning **** in a STACKED AFC. Colts and Broncos will continue to abuse the Texans for years to come.

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

The Colts are a good team, the texans are an average team. The QB situation for the Texans is hot garbage. Fitz is a below average QB, and you can't get to the top with someone like that. The Texans are at least average because you have JJ Watt playing an unbelievable level and doing everything humanly possible at his position to keep the Texans competitive.