1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans make me appreciate the Rockets a lot more

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joeson332, Dec 14, 2014.

1. jedicro

jedicro Member

Speaking solely for myself, it isn't about crowing over the Rocket's history. My only point is that the Rockets are good now...so let's talk about them. Sure, keep up with the Texans and break down each game, but don't ignore the 18-5 team in your own city.

2. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Sadly they will keep ignoring them until they win more than one playoff series in the last 17 years.

3. jedicro

jedicro Member

I don't think there is any condition in which they stop ignoring the Rockets. The masses just don't care. They'll tune in during the playoffs and we'll get plenty of Rockets talk then, but we could win the finals this year and next year it would still be all Texans all the time.

4. joeson332

joeson332 Member

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. bmd

bmd Member

Texas loves football and that's just how it is. Hockey is big up North. That's what they like.

Football has big money behind it in Texas.

My basketball team in high school in the Houston area went to stage 3 years in a row and won it all once. The basketball program was always good and the football program has sucked for a long time.

Yet it's still all about football at that school.

That's just how it is in Texas at all levels even up to the pros.

6. bmd

bmd Member

Fixed.

7. jedicro

jedicro Member

Yup. Not entirely sure why that indoctrination didn't work on me, but I'm sure glad it didn't.

8. BleedsRocketRed

This what I think happened over the years.

For those of us that remember the 1991-1999 Rocket years, the Rockets at the time were at peak in this city. They were the kings of the town. EVERYTHING was Rockets. 2 championships, Dream, Clyde coming home, Rudy T, Barkley ...etc. I would say this was in part of a consistent winning culture and the collapse of the Oilers in 93 and their eventual exit.

With the retirement of Clyde, Hakeem, Charles, and the departure of all the Rockets left from the golden years, everybody just lost interest. Texans came around at a time when the Rockets were playing a ugly, irrelevant style of basketball and thus never recovered. With the influx of transplants and a new generation, the "mania" has been lost through time. Neutral people gravitate towards the "it" item, and the NFL is that

The NFL though at the time, was still the biggest sport in the US, but it wasn't the media controlling juggernaut it is now. The billion dollar behemoth now is more powerful than the other 3 sports combined. Its what the media will focus on because its what the people pay for. The NBA will NEVER have a chance anymore in a city with an NFL team.

9. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Not all Phoenix and Los Angeles are basketball towns. But most, yes

10. joeson332

joeson332 Member

LA doesnt have a football team though lol..and when your basketball team is one of the most succesful franchises in all sports...

11. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

You kind of just proved his point though by going off about the Oilers and not the Rockets.

12. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I hated the name "Texans"...when I heard that I was like wtf, they couldn't think of anything better. Automatically made up my mind there, they would never replace the Oilers in my eyes!

13. bmd

bmd Member

Well, there used to be a Dallas Texans in the NFL in the '50's and there was an AFL team named the Dallas Texans in the '60's until they changed their name to the Kansas City Chiefs and moved to the NFL.

So it's not a random name... the name "Texans" has some history in pro football.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

The man is speaking the truth. Houston sports in general has been a long hard road with a couple of lemonade stops and regular kicks between the legs. Houston has the most forgiving, supportive, and patient fan base in the universe. Both McNair, Alexander, and whoever owns the Astros would go missing in some cities.

15. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Well, one thing the Texans can never claim (and hey, I love the Texans, but....) is that they were the first.

Let's face it, the Rockets de-virginized the previously non-champion city of Houston, and the Texans could only be #2. Hakeem Olajuwon broke Houston's cherry.

[​IMG]

16. jedicro

jedicro Member

So they're named after a Dallas team. That makes it soooo much better.

17. bmd

bmd Member

They're not named after them... they have the same name.
    Like the Pelicans in New Orleans. There used to be a minor league baseball team named the New Orleans Pelicans. The basketball team wasn't named after them... but it wasn't an original name.

18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We did have two seasons in which were successful. But the rest have mediocrity or worse.

I love watching both teams.

19. joeson332

joeson332 Member

2011 was really our year, Texans after that Patriots game in 2012 played like chumps

20. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I think the Texans have done a major disservice to the Astros and Rockets. They took all the casual fans away from the good teams.