1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Curry: Will finish his career as...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 24, 2016.

?

Stephen Curry will finish his career as?

1. One of the best players of all time

47.6%
  2. The best player of all time

6.8%
  3. One of the best shooters of all time

17.1%
  4. The best shooter of all time

55.4%
  5. One of the best 3 point shooters of all time

13.7%
  6. The best 3 point shooter of all time

44.4%
  7. One of the best ball handlers of all time

22.9%
  8. The best ball handler of all time

3.6%
  9. One of the best point guards of all time

28.9%
  10. The best point guard of all time

7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

From the poll OR your own answer:
    How do you think Curry will finish his career as?

From the poll OR your own answer:
    How do you think people in general who are witnessing this "Era of Curry" will remember Curry as when he finishes his career?

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A rich man's Derrick Rose.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

People will remember Curry's era as a time when players chewed their mouth pieces.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

The best shooter and three-point shooter of all-time and one of the best in all the other categories.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

One of the best players of all time

One of the best point guards of all time

And the best shooter of all time.

My 3.

6. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Ahahahahha I really wanted to add this to the poll but I wanted to keep it serious.

I've never seen a player chew their mouth guard piece as much as Curry does lol. I really think there are magical powers in his mouth guards. It's the only explanation to him always chewing and absorbing and chewing that mouth piece endlessly....... and thus explaining his extreme level of play..... haha.

7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Curry chewing his mouthguard is going to be like Jordan sticking out his tongue when dunking...kids are going to copy it for no good reason.

8. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

One of the best shooters of all time. I'm not ready to say one of the best guards or players of all time. Again, I was wrong about Steph overall. I never envisioned him to be this good. However, I don't see him as the complete point guard that so many have hyped him up to be. In my opinion, Chris Paul is the better point guard, though not the better shooter. CP3 is the better passer, floor general and leader, too. That's just one example. Even Gary Payton was more ferocious.

Steph is incredible, but I still don't think he'll go down as one of the best to ever play. A grip of good seasons is nothing on the likes of Kobe, LBJ, Paul Pierce, Wade, Dirk, etc.... ***Those are just current guys...if we're talking GOATS, I still don't have Steph in that category yet.

I wouldn't dare take anything away from the show Steph has put on over the last two seasons, but I think some fans, and mainly the media, have too quickly crowned him as one of the best. He's 27 and people are acting as though he's surpassed Tony Parker, or damn what I heard earlier, Magic Freakin' Johnson.

Logically, Steph needs to play at least 5 more seasons to be in the discussion as one of "the best" for ANYTHING. It's just too, too early for that label.

It's like when people called LeBron "King James," and he hadn't won anything yet. It took blood, sweat and years before LeBron came into his own, found his super friends, went to the finals 4 years in a row and became the youngest to score an unhealthy amount of points. At 31, after coming into the game from HS, it's CLEAR that LeBron is one of the GOATs. LBJ's stats in comparison to Steph's aren't even close, considering individual numbers, level of competition, season by season dominance, playoff records and absolutely dismantling the league year after year without a letdown. The same goes for Kobe...those countless seasons where he terrorized arenas were remarkable.

Steph will go down as one of THE BEST shooters EVER, but I don't view him as the same animal as the guys who played COMPLETE games (rebounds,assists,points,steals,being the "finisher") on offense and defense. He's a hell of a player, but no, he doesn't strike the fear of God in me, even with this season and all that he's accomplished. If he can put together consecutive years of playoff wins and league domination like a Dirk, I might change my mind.

I think it's just too early to tell, and with that, it's unfair to already categorize him as one of the best to ever do it. Predictions are fun either way, but I'm not a fan of anticipating greatness based on a small sample size.

And no, I'm not just being a hater lol. :) I don't like the Warriors. I'm not a fan of Steph. Draymond Green is a punk as a human being. Even with all of that, I cannot lie to myself and dismiss the amazing season that the Boys in the Bay are having, mainly because of Steph.

I'm just one of the few that hasn't completely bought into the hype, and I'm one of the few who thinks that small frame and shaky ankles may be problematic.

But hell, I was wrong about Steph before (...thought Monta was the keeper at the time they were together....yeah...kill me...) and I'll proudly admit to being wrong again, if or when it happens.

Gotta love this game.

.....And the Warriors aren't repeating this year. You read it here first. :p:p:p

1 person likes this.
  9. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

Currently the problem is longevity versus peak.

Is someone who put the highest peak of any player ever (for a sustained period) one of the best players ever? Or does he need to have several seasons filled with accolades?

I think Steph is one of the best players I've ever seen (started wtaching in 78), his peak is that good. Even if he disappeared from the court we will be talking about him for years to come, simply due to this insanely productive period, breaking records left and right.

He isn't near being GOAT, as that is a longevity thing, but personally I think he already has done enough to be a player we are going to talk about for many, many years due to this peak.

1 person likes this.
  10. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He's the best shooter of all-time. Better than Bird, Reggie, Nowitzki, Dale Ellis, Mark Price... whoever you want to name. His average shooting is like hot for most any other good shooter, it's amazing to watch. I've never seen anything like it.

He doesn't play defense well enough to ever be the best player of all-time.

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The third best PG in his era that has found his PERFECT system and teammates.

12. tksense

tksense Member

If you mean when it's all said and done, I cannot agree with this. What is his era? Curry's peak came only two years ago preceding his first mvp season. Imo the curry era officially began only last year. If you project in the next few years he's gonna be the third best PG, I can't really see it.

The only way your statement can hold true will be injuries that prevent him from having more than 1 season of current level play.

No guard in the past 15 yrs even cracked at his current level. The perfect system begins with curry's ability, not from him "finding a perfect system". You build around your superstar... rings a bell?

Anyways, I read an article earlier about how curry had always played safe and reserved to favor his glass ankle. Without the modern healthcare, he probably would retire by year 4-5. The reason he seemingly exploded suddenly is that he finally became confident about his body to let loose everything he got. He arduously trained other parts of his body to share burden on his ankle, as a result, he got an unprecedented game.

The curry era began after he is no longer held back by injury concerns, and trained to become a scary specimen who deadlifts 400lb, second on his team behind Ezeli! Again, fans would say he's frail, in reality he is actually a strong mofo.

13. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

Great? Hard to say. But damn he sure can shoot.

14. Borneoman

Borneoman Member

He is not going to be a GOAT, but he will be one of the best shooter and ballhandler of all time. Period.

15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He's already the best shooter of all time IMO.

As for being one of the best players of all time, I ticked that option but just to be clear I mean that as one of the ~ 30 best ever, not as one of the top 5 or 10.

If he wins as many rings as MJ, I still wouldn't put him above MJ. But that would easily put him in the top 5-10 which I currently don't see happening.

16. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Defense hurts him a bit, because the, say top 10, were all great on both ends of the court (MJ, Wilt, LeBron, Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, Bird, Duncan, etc), so he won't be regarded as a better player than them. Offensive-wise he will be top 3 at least, if he keeps his current numbers up. Unstoppable from any range and can score in any way possible (except for posting up).

1 person likes this.
  17. tksense

tksense Member

I tend to agree with this. He won't be top ten all time due to not being an all-defense type player, though he's certainly adequate and actually above average.

Top 3 offensively is a bit of stretch to imagine still, cos imo he will need at least 4-5 years of mvp caliber play to begin entering that realm of conversation. However, his peak is so special, how he's rated really depends on how anyone values longevity vs peak.

18. "Snosrap

"Snosrap Member

best shooter
    he is and will be competing against himself for the record of most 3point made in a season

heck, the table will look something like this

Most 3-pt field goals, season
    xxx Stephen Curry 2020-21
    xxx Stephen Curry 2018-19
    xxx Stephen Curry 2016-17
    xxx Stephen Curry 2014-15
    xxx Stephen Curry 2012-13

19. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Already the best shooter of all time

Will likely finish as top 3 PG of all time
    Will likely finish as top 15-20 player all time

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Gotta disagree with you... He's already shooting at a rate and style that the league has never seen before. And there's nothing t suggest that he won't continue.

He'll retire as hands down the best shooter ever, and personally I believe he's already the best.