1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Curry: Will finish his career as...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Feb 24, 2016.

?

Stephen Curry will finish his career as?

1. One of the best players of all time

47.6%
  2. The best player of all time

6.8%
  3. One of the best shooters of all time

17.1%
  4. The best shooter of all time

55.4%
  5. One of the best 3 point shooters of all time

13.7%
  6. The best 3 point shooter of all time

44.4%
  7. One of the best ball handlers of all time

22.9%
  8. The best ball handler of all time

3.6%
  9. One of the best point guards of all time

28.9%
  10. The best point guard of all time

7.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Caesar

Caesar Member

I hope the Mavs play the Warriors in the first round, because you know at least Cuban will bug the hell out of the league about all the moving screens the Warriors use all game long. Too bad they are the darlings and the NBA will just ignore Cubans please unlike Yao and the Rockets. :(

2. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

All I know is if we had Curry on this roster and were killing it like the Warriors there would be a thread every week for GOAT team and Curry being the GOAT. Blinded by the hate.

I think Curry is best shooter of all time and if he keeps doing this, he's definitely considered one of the best all time to do it.

3. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

This entire statement is full of hypocrisy.

[​IMG]

4. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

No it's not. I can only assume you're trying to say Harden flops since you didn't articulate your point, and that's usually the go-to limp bull plop all the warrior nut huggers trot out there. Harden is genuinely fouled. If Harden got the whistles he actually deserves he would have 4 times as many FTAs. The Rockets offense doesn't hinge on a coached screen philosophy of either move on your screen or flop on your screen. And that MJ crying meme was never cool or funny. Not even once.

5. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Fans are generally bias. Almost every fan outside Houston thinks Harden's drives should be called offensive call, because he moved defender with his shoulder, or arms.

Chris Paul should be fouled out of game within a few minutes with the way he pushes & holds people.

Almost everyone moves when set screen, Duncan does that every time, the same with Howard,etc. GSW got attention because they are winning.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

So why was it such a big deal for the NBA to crack down on Yao's moving screens then? This is a very touchy subject for me and i'm sure many other Rockets fans and when you say everyone sets illegal screens and everyone gets away with it so it's no big deal for the Warriors to do it all game long, it brings back very strong emotions and memories of the NBA listening to Cuban complain and the refs having a meeting to call Yao very strictly.

No. It isn't just because the Warriors are winning that it pisses me off they get away with it.

7. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

I mean, this has to be satire of how fans always claim foul calls against their team are corruption and foul calls for their team are completely legit and probably should be called more.

Right? I hope. Otherwise, the sheer lack of self-awareness is stunning.

8. Ronkol

Ronkol Member

Fixed it for you. :(

9. cdrive

You're that guy who agreed with Andrew Sharp saying that Bosh choosing Heat over Rockets was exactly like Porzingus spending more time with the Knicks than the 76ers.

[​IMG]

10. mac2yao

mac2yao Member

Considering he didn't say that, I'm not sure how I could have "agreed" with it. But the fact that you said that illustrates that you're one of the type of fans who instantly goes into butthurt mode when a writer criticizes the Rockets.

That's pretty consistent with believing officials always favor the opponent and fouls are only legitimate when they favor your favorite team.

You shouldn't be ashamed though...most fans are pretty irrational. Some would argue that irrational fandom is the purest fandom.

11. cdrive

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He certainly might have the greatest shooting season in NBA history. I can't of a player who has shot a better percentage at a more prolific rate. No one ever comes to mind.

If that doesn't put you up there nothing will. But a few seasons are not what GOAT's are made of. You have to span decades.

13. tksense

tksense Member

I'm genuinely curious, for anyone who still have reservation, how do you think that he merely "might" be the best?

Number-wise, volume and percentage, he shatters anything before him the volume stats, while at 46% it is not 50% like how a few had during the shortened line seasons. However, did you hear about his stat from 28 to 50ft? 35/52, which scores you more points than shooting 52/52 on twos.

In-game wise, who shoots like curry who can pull up anywhere in a blink of an eye?

I'd really like to hear what makes some of you feel the need to downplay him as only "one of" and hesitate to put him solely on the top?

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

I agree.

http://americansportshistory.com/2014/02/13/the-history-of-the-three-point-line-in-the-nba/

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Longevity. There's no guarantee that he can sustain what he is doing for a long career.

There's two different ways of measuring greatness: the player's peak (absolute best) performance or the player's career achievement as a totality?

If you go the peak path, one can argue that Curry is one of the best, if not the best ever. What he is doing this season is historic. I don't know how any unbiased person can deny that. But if you want to measure greatness in totally career achievement, then we'll just have to wait.

Even if you think peak is the measure, you'll still have to draw a line on how long a peak has to last in order to be counted as a player's peak. Does it have to be a season? Two season? Did Linsanity count as Jeremy Lin's peak? If so, he could be compared to some very good players' achievements.

Judging by the thread title, I am quite certain that the OP is asking for career achievement, not peak.

16. daoshi

First of all, Yao was an easy target because he was huge, and SLOW. Once the refs started focus on him, it's easy to get called.

The GSW situation is different, they do set moving screens on the ball, and got called almost every game. However, most of their screens are set away from the ball, and those are typically not considered "illegal", since both sides have the same rights to move & block. If you watched the past great shooters, Miller, Allen, Drazen Petrovic, etc they ran through multiple screens away from the ball, and most of those are on the move, but were not considered "illegal".

17. daoshi

I don't know how anyone can argue about Curry be the "best shooter". Those are the raw stats, and he has put several years of them together, owns half of the top 10 shooting percentages on threes, and at such a high volume.

As for one of the all time best players, that is premature to discuss. Yes, he has one of the best offensive seasons, if not the best. But greatness is not built in one, or two seasons, you need longevity to be considered all-time great.

To be considered great, you have to achieve winning, and be a key part of the winning. Curry has done that for two seasons now. If he can keep this up for 2+ more seasons, e.g., win a couple of more MVPs & championships, then he would be considered one of the all-time greats.

18. tksense

tksense Member

Sure, but curry's case is way different from linsanity in many ways.

First, curry isn't doing anything at the level of other greats. You can say curry only started averaging 30pt this season, so it's premature to consider him one of the all-time best scorers. But curry really started shooting at Ray Allen level since year 1. That means as long as he's in the league he will continue to shoot like this at minimum.

Secondly, his peak today is unprecedented. He is playing in a way better than anyone has ever seen as far as shooting and creating his own looks. There is no defense against it. He can put up 10 threes at will and hit four to five every night. That doesn't only illustrate the fact that he can shoot, but also his skills to heave it up any way possible. Again, this is unprecedented.

The longevity argument only applies when comparing similar level of peak. Like Peja had played at Ray level but for fewer years.

No one has ever come close to playing like Curry, I'd bet, for even more than 3 straight games! So any other reason Curry is not the best yet?

Exactly, according to raw stat, curry is already the best ever, he had accumulated enough over his whole career, not just 2 seasons. Already shattering the most threes in a season record, he's at number 1,2, and 3 already, and will only add to that as long as he plays.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Stephen Curry: Criticism from retired players “starting to get a little annoying”

http://nba.nbcsports.com/2016/02/27...a-little-annoying/?ocid=Yahoo&partner=ya5nbcs

By Sean HighkinFeb 27, 2016, 2:00 PM EST

20. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

Holy SH**!!! What a game!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GEMVGHoenXM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tckRGA7_GUc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vv-xLUXuycw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

F*** ME!!! HE'S THE GOAT!!!