1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith "CARMELO ANTHONY NEEDS TO BE STARTING!!!"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 18, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Kevin McHale didn't start and became one of the greatest head coaches of all time . . . um, well, maybe not.

2. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

Hate listening to him talk but I agree with his assessment here.

Start him and PJ at the wings. Ennis' energy is better suited off the bench as a spark.

BigShasta likes this.
  3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Unfortunately i agree too. I feel your pain.

4. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Stephen A Smith is a consummate professional and I hope he retires a Rocket.

DonKnock and Os Trigonum like this.
  5. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

I normally hate Stephen A. Because I think he has a penchant for sensationalism over journalism, but on this note. I am beginning to agree and I’ll tell you why.

With the losses of ariza, a moute and Bzedelik, most people id think would agree that our identity defensively would be different this year (even those skeptics about whether we are worse or better). But no one can argue that Melo was brought in for his offense. Perhaps solely for his offense.

My contention is that for this year’s team to be successful, we have to be better offensively than even the early season successes of last year. I.e. higher average ppgs for the team and higher margins of victory when in those wins.

Else I fear this season will be lost to not adjusting our expectations of how we win relative to our personnel.

This is a team built so that we don’t go through those game 7 shooting droughts. But I wonder if people are forgetting the defense that got us to game 7 in the first place.

TheSAGE

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Just saw this.

Should have played more than 3 seasons here, bummed that he became a journey man.

Splendid career that being said.

7. RCPM

RCPM Member

There are a very few people I would like to kick the **** out of, but this clown is one of them.

8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Gary Clark Deserves to Start, There I said it, Not Eric Gordon, Carmelo Anthony, James Ennis.
    Gary Clark is the most talented defensive 3 and D Wing on the Team, I do not care if he is a Rookie.
    Mike DAntoni praises Gary Clark the whole preseason, He Should've been drafted. Well Mike you look like a liar to me. I felt so bad for Gary, who works harder on defense and Communicates the best on Switches.
    Gary deserves more minutes, James Ennis and Carmelo need minutes 10 minutes each or not play.
    Gary Clark needs to Start and get around 28 minutes.

fattz, DonKnock and Little Bit like this.
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

fify and for @tinman

dreamshakin likes this.
  10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Anybody who thinks more Melo is the answer is a moron

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Rockets scored 112, and allowed 131?

More Melo. It's logic.

J Sizzle likes this.
  12. jcf

jcf Member

Why not try him at starter if it helps his psyche. I agree that we shouldn't cave in to players constantly because it will
    Most of the clip was SAS discussing our poor defense and the loss of Ariza.

His point on Melo is that Melo may be saying the right things but that for some psychological reason he is going to play worse if not starting.

Why not try it and see if it works? If he plays well, great. If he doesn't, put him back to non-starting.

Might suck, but ego and mental state can affect performance in all kinds of jobs. May not be the best look, but worth finding out.

DonKnock and kjayp like this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

That's far too logical...

You're saying we should try different things and see what works best for our personnel... that's not how we do it (MDA or CF)... pick a stance from the outset and never waiver - that's how we roll! We will make that circular peg fit into that square hole! If it doesn't work - call it a scrub and throw it away!

"The rotations are what they are"

;) lol!

Little Bit, DonKnock and jcf like this.
  14. Sanity2disChaos

Bingo. Easy solution. Let him start... F it!

15. Theking

Theking Member

Dude has lost it, or never had it. Its to the point where you may as well watch skiiiip and leshannon instead

16. 34to11

34to11 Member

Stephen A. Smith doesn't care one iota about what is best for the Rockets or even Carmelo. His sole purpose here is defending his earlier assertions about Melo not coming off the bench in Houston.
    How any of you can give credence or credibility to his self-serving rhetoric is beyond me.

tinman and DonKnock like this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

There's nothing wrong with trying new things . But 1 game isn't a big enough sample size.

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

It is way more likely Carmelo Anthony will get released than Start on the Rockets. Carmelo and Harden cannot be on the floor together at all. Both lose their man constantly, just by ball watching.

19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Everyone should know this. If you bench Melo, sooner or later he is going to become trash - no defense no efficiency. Then this team is not going to the same level of Raptors, Celtics or Pelicans.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sam Cassell was pure
    I don’t know if Carmelo understands what pure is