1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen A. Smith "CARMELO ANTHONY NEEDS TO BE STARTING!!!"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Oct 18, 2018.

1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

A clutchfans poll ?

Also , that last choice had less to do with his value as a player and more with his value as a money making tool for a small market team.

It's the same reason Zhou Qi is easily worth his contract ... that China $$

BigShasta and Zboy like this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

YOLO likes this.
  3. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Thats what I'm sayin - let him prove it... the man has a lengthy career with numerous all-star nods, etc... let him prove he still has it... if he doesn't - pull the chain...
    But dont disrespect him right out the gate...

4. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

whether he starts or not, best to keep his minutes around 25-30mins a game

5. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

LOL , we might not even be that off. 60 % said he'd be worth less than 6 Mil or only worth $ as a marketing tool.

Melo might yet come around ... but we are gonna have to do something about his attitude first. PJ might **** him up. MDA might bench him.

I still can't believe how much he has talked about the "adjustment" he has to make. Dude , you are gonna play less minutes , with better teamates, and with more PT against scrubs .... This is exactly like playing USA basketball .

Zboy likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

He can prove it from the bench first. We gave him plenty of minutes. Ennis is a way better fit in the starting lineup.

7. kjayp

Pretty much everybody (cept PJ) stunk it up in the 1st game... why do people wanna make it an indictment on Melo? He's the newest guy that got any real minutes... can you honestly say he performed far below most everybody else we had on the court that game?

8. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Sure, alot of player played poorly. Ennis probably played a bit better than Melo ... even if you disagree , Its not like Melo outplayed him by a wide margin. Why should Melo get a chance to start after 1 bad game from MULTIPLE players ? I'm not making anything an indictment on Melo ... I'm simply saying he hasn't earned a starting spot yet. He was not responsible for us losing that game. Paul and Clint IMO were the two biggest no-shows. But ennis was also not responsible for us losing. In fact he had one of the higher +/-'s among rotation players.

It's super premature to say Melo needs to start especially when its not like he lit it up that last game.

9. kjayp

Your assessment is incorrect... 65% said 10M or less... 26% said 6M or less... you're assuming the 10M+ believe only as a marketing ploy...

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I looked at categories 1,2, and 4 .

4 is 10 + but only for marketing purposes. So that means that only choice #3 thought he was worth more than 6 million as a player

11. kjayp

just bc somebody thinks he could get 10M as a marketing ploy - doesnt necessarily mean they dont think he's not worth 8M as a player...

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

This is just another assanine remark from "I yell too much smith." Melo should not be starting. James Harden Knows it, Chris Paul knows it, Morey knows it, Melo fans know it and Melo himself definitely knows it too at this point. If Melo plays his cards right he should win 6th Man of the year award and should be the most lethal weapon the nba has ever seen coming off the bench. As a starter he is going to get lost in the shuffle. He is another defensive liability in a league where you can most likely only have one in your lineup on the court at a time. This is not the early 2000's and old has been reporters like Smith refuse to realize it. Britney Spears is no longer young and desireable. Nsync is over and no one wears jeans 1000x larger than they should. I was going to say bleached tips are gone but Capella proved that wrong.
    In a league now where everyone can shoot, everone has to be able to defend. Having Harden and Melo out there together will get us killed or over work the players surrounding them. Smith knows this too but is just in denial or just needs some sort of controversy to speak of.
    Melo just needs to adjust and I have full confidence that a pro like him will be able to. We need him off the bench too. We just need someone else to start at the 3 instead of ennis at this point.

snowconeman22 and YOLO like this.
  13. BackdoorHarden

Melo is SAS's inside "sources" so he's going to defend his NYC boy from back in them days

BigShasta and snowconeman22 like this.
  14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yeah ...there are alot of problems with that poll ... which btw you brought up....

I dunno how much Melo would have made if he was a free agent at the begging of FA; but, my guess is that a 34 year old player who is coming off a terrible season who has been declining steadily would not bring out top dollar. He has alot of work to do to rebuild his value in the league .... and probably the best place for him to start is to adapt his game to his age and maximize what skills he has left. If he cant succeed here of the bench as a sharpshooter , he's not going to go anywhere else and be an above average player.

15. BackdoorHarden

Britney Spears might no longer be desirable, but that Justin Timberlake sure keeps getting hotter and hotter!

tycoonchip likes this.
  16. kjayp

The thing is... Ennis isn't gonna be a difference maker when it comes to beating GSW... Melo could be - possibly not - but could be.... we need to ride that horse and see what we can get out of him. If it turns out he has totally lost it - fine - move on... but we gotta find out.
    It's about personnel management.... you gotta pump this dude up, get him charged, get him invested... or watch him turn into another Ryan Anderson...

17. BackdoorHarden

Javale McGee as a minimum player has more value to a team than Melo

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

he needs to start embracing this bench role

no team with championship aspirations is starting Melo...

Zboy, snowconeman22 and YOLO like this.
  19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Stephen A. Muppet likes to hear himself talk.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You're talking about games in May and June...... and you are talking about Melo like he is some toddler that needs to be coddled at every turn. IF melo starts moping because he isnt getting to start ...even though he is playing 25+ minutes ... guess what . I don't want him here. If he's good enough to be a difference maker vs GS it will show even when he comes off the bench .. its not like he's not getting time with James and Chris. I'm not opposed to Melo starting .... I am vehemently opposed to making a change after 1 game or even 5 games.