1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

So since CP has been back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Feb 1, 2019.

1. MD_in_Training

CP3 is a selfless man. He took this bloated deal reluctantly because he had to as president of the player's association.

He is most likely having many sleepless nights because of his difficult decision.

/s

2. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We are losing and have been since Clint went down . Its incredibly hard to win any game when you are getting destroyed on the boards. We also have zero post D now.

Clint is easily the 2nd most important piece to this team. We will continue yo lose until Clint comes back or Morey magically finds a capable C.

My biggest fear is following so far we don't even make the playoffs. We have got to avoid GSW and OKC round 1 or it'll be over quickly .

3. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

This is stupid... he played good out there yesterday. Dished the Rock and was efficient on offense.

Harden was a team high negative -22 on the floor.

We are missing House and Clint big time... we need this team healthy to put it all together.

I get CP3 contract is toxic... but contrary to this narrative about CP3 being washed up... Cp3 is still at the downhill of his prime and more than capable of being a top 5 PG.

So please cut the BS.

alethios, BaselineFade and xaos like this.
  4. s3ts

s3ts Member

And the high horse guy. Again.

You're not a friggin angel. None of us are.

5. s3ts

s3ts Member

Counting his pockets is not my issue.

Morey is the issue for me. He messed up handing out Ryno a massive contract that translated into basically nothing for us this season. That was a massive mistake and we are still suffering.

And somehow, almost none of you will complain about counting Rynos pockets.

Then the CP contract... I didn't know how he'll be this season , but thought he would come back stronger after having been given a large contract. And maybe he is motivated, but your body condition isn't just about how hard you work. There are things that we can't control about our health...

In any case, CP said he wants to win. Well, if we want to win, we need a versatile wing who can ace 3nD, and finish at the rim, and D up 2, 3, 4. And we need a young backup C who can D up most 4 and 5, plus be excellent at PnR with great finishing abilities around the rim.

How do we sign such players, while shedding the albatross contracts of Knight and Chriss?

And even if we did shed those contracts, how do we make sure we have the depth to throw out against the elite teams?

I wish I can tell you its all on Morey. No, CP was part of that, he still makes decisions for the front office. And this is part of CPs problems. He has to attract more players and sign them to cheap contracts. I have serious doubts that this can easily be done.

6. icewill36

icewill36 Member

He isn’t a star anymore. I wish we could get a legit star next to James and have cp3 come off the bench.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

All of this post from @justtxyank.

HP3 likes this.
  8. HP3

HP3 Member

High horse? Nah, it just bothers me when I see threads like these that blame the wrong people and look at the wrong issues.

9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is insane to me that anyone who actually watched these games can think CP3 is a big problem. Or even a problem at all.

BaselineFade and HP3 like this.
  10. threepointshot3

Then you need to get you’re eyes checked because he has been under performing all season.

Stormy1234 likes this.
  11. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You pay a guy like CP3, you just dont pay him the max, especially when he wants to be on your team. There are very few players worth max contracts coming off their prime, especially when you are paying that premium for talent utilized on past teams. Guys like Hakeem, Dirk, Kobe, Duncan, ect ... who have stayed with their team for most of their careers should be rewarded with max contracts past their prime.

Then you have guys who tend to jump ship after contract. You have those like LeBron who will still contribute massively well into the mid 30's. In contrast, any team willing to take on Melo at max is foolish. If Morey pulled that off, I would have lost a lot of respect for the guy. Hopefully he was only trying to create a false demand in attempts to burden another team with a killer contract like his.

With CP3, the warning signs were clear and present. He was in his contract year and played out of his mind. He is frequently and easily injured. He's on his third team. We should have only offered him a contract for 3 years. This would give us time to find a new superstar to replace an aging Harden and to compliment Capela.

My prediction is we will get knocked out 2nd round, chalk it up to a bad year with CP3 and a good chance to grab MVP. Next year we will get a full scope on just how bad the CP3 contract really is. By the third year, Harden will be very frustrated and possibly looking for a trade to a team that isn't burdened by an owner who can't afford to run a team properly and massive contracts burdening the team. Morey will give up and go chase something different. By the 4th year, all we will be left with is CP3 contract that nobody will want to touch. At this point, we turn into another scrub organization who's only purpose is to generate a profit each year because the over-leveraged owner is a shitty businessman who overpaid for the team, Since he is a shitty businessman, he will continue to make bad choices and use the team as leverage.(much like he recently bought that disaster of a company called Waitr)

Williamson likes this.
  12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Harden and Cp3 are offensive focus points. The rest shoot from the three and plays defense like Ariza.
    You can't expect Cp3 to sacrifice his body like Draymond Green.
    My expectation for last night is to compare CP3 to Gerald Green and Rivers, You will be happy if you think like this. Cp3 plays better than both of them. He was playing great on offense last night.

#92 BigBum, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
  13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

All season? I thought this thread was about the 3 games back from injury. I agree that he looked bad pre injury.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, Clint being out is a big problem, his vertical game just makes us much better on both ends and he has good iq, most of times he knows how to switch, when he can go for the help etc. His game on offense depends on Harden a lot, but Harden also benefits a lot by having Clint out there cause he gives James more space to operate and their chemistry on pick & roll is just special. When Clint had a couple of bad games some people talked **** about him but now you can see how important he is.

15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nuggets game plan was to attack with Jokic in the post vs our smallish centers (Tucker/Faried) because
    there was no Capela, force help defense to collapse; which opened up perimeter shooters.

Nuggets did what was game-planned. Tip of the hat for doing, what we gave them.

DeAndre Jordan is on the way.....calm down.

Question is, “who is the odd man out?” : Capela? Nene? Hartenstein?

I don’t believe it will be Faried.....but I didn’t think the Rockets would sit House (not only once; but twice).

16. MD_in_Training

CP3 wouldn't be a problem at 15 or 20 mil and a short contract. CP3 is a huge problem at $40 mil for 4 years.

17. alethios

alethios Member

I actually would have been fine with CP3 sitting out until after the ASB. He plays ok with minutes restriction but he's not at full capacity.

18. txn

txn Member

4-4 without Danuel House Jr.

Danuel House Jr is our second best player confirmed. Bring him home Maury :D

19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

LMAO. Love this, and love the name you put on as your profile to go with it. hahahahaha You win my vote for post of the day!!!

Now, fess up, who is this funny man behind the mask?

20. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

The biggest problem is something that is very low key. Harden struggles to be play maker when fatigued and having to play off of his second wind in 2nd quarters!

This is really cp3's game! You can see it with the harden turnover where forced a home run pass down to Ennis after a Denver made basket in 2nd quarter. Then harden got into the mid range area and threw it away trying to throw it to Tucker after Tucker already played the offensive back board!

To address the faried issue #1, there is a limit on the offensive sets that you can run for far"weed". Far"weed" scored his first bucket on an assist from Tucker where Tucker dumped it to far"weed" after Tucker got doubled on a drive to the rim. The rest of far"weeds" points were mostly gang rebounding buckets.

To address the Ennis issue #2, most of Ennis's sets are when harden gets trapped on pick and rolls. At that point, Ennis has to decide between the three pointer or a pass because Ennis does not necessarily have a tight ball handle or mid range move.

To address the issue with Greene #3, most of the time Greene is stuck in "no man's land" in the corner three position and you don't see Greene taking alot of set three's especially when rockets already losing because it's too much pressure!

#100 smoothie_king, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019