1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So since CP has been back

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by threepointshot3, Feb 1, 2019.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

We have been worse since losing House and playing Ennis more as well. Botht hese things need to be addressed.

2. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Rockets need to throw Paul at someone, throw in there 2nd pick as sweeter.

I think pacers would want to compete, Rockets could want to get away from his cap space, get some useful bench players without gutting most of the pacers core. This trade would work, and probably would be ok get for Rockets..

Pacers would be pretty good team with paul, Paul really increases there chances at playing boston up before, and they even would still have a really deep bench with evans ,Collison, and Sabonis.
    http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yd62wryg

Rockets get a better rebounder in Young to put in around Faried, Dermott and Jospth strengthin the bench, I would trade Knight, Chriss for picks to make room

#62 Le$$, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    fattz likes this.
  3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Has nothing to do with CP3.

1) We lost Capela and replaced him with Faried. Faried puts in effort when they try to iso him, but he is a mess on the switches and causes major breakdowns because isn't switching right. All those guys who just got easy layups in the paint where there was no one there? Go back and watch and a lot of time you'll see Faried lost because he didn't switch. Harden even yelled at him at one point.
    2) We replaced House with Ennis. Ennis plays with energy but he is not a smart player. He is very slow to make the right switch and is a foul machine.
    3) Gerald Green is playing a lot of minutes. He's just atrocious on defense.

Those are the biggest problems. You can't run a switching defense with these issues.

alethios, Vivi, HP3 and 6 others like this.
  4. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

We beat those teams with Capela. Capela is the second more important player to our team. Really has nothing to do with CP3

smp likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

A classic Clutchfans thread.

6. jboslett

jboslett Member

Agree with all of this, especially Green. Just an abysmal player in general. Sure, he gets hot, but he plays mostly scared and has zero toughness.

7. smp

smp Member

That's exactly what I figured would happen when Capela went down. There is nobody on this team who is able to step in and take on that role. When CP3 went down, EG, Harden, and Rivers could step in. We simply don't have a backup 5. Nene is so limited that he doesn't count. Tucker at the 5 works against GS but that's about it. Faried can work in limited minutes.

This slump is all about defense. Having a big in the paint who can block shots and rebound is critical. We need Capela back ASAP. When he comes back, we need to remember to limit the switches on defense too. When we went away from switching Capela on to guards every time we improved.

BaselineFade likes this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll raise a glass to that!

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's time for Paul to reinvent his game. I want to see him taking at least 7-8 3pters a game. At 6'1 with the NBA growing in length, height and athleticism, he is going to struggle inside. The one way Paul can retain his value over the length of this contract is to become a better shooter.

Right now he's shooting significantly worse from literally every spot on the floor except for non-restricted pain area. He has cut down on his mid range shots slightly and moved more of them inside to where he's best, which is good. He's not having a good season from 3, but historically he has been excellent from there on smaller volumes. I believe he can make that jump. He handled it well last season, but for some reason has reduced his 3pa this season.

When Harden is in the game, you want the ball in Harden's hands. Paul needs to launch it like Eric Gordon, and Eric Gordon needs to pick his shots a bit better. I think it would work out well for us.

dlite316, fattz and Stormy1234 like this.
  10. threepointshot3

Capela was there against the raptors? The rockets were 5-2 without Clint but are now 5-4 with the last two losses since Paul’s return

Stepback3GOOD likes this.
  11. MD_in_Training

Unless Harden is in the game creating open looks for him, it will be difficult for Cp3 to put up high volume three point attempts. He can’t just iso against opposing guards on top of the key like Harden, and having him run through screens to catch and shoot doesn’t play to his strengths. As he slows down further, he won’t even be able to iso effectively against opposing bigs.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes, I'm talking about when Harden is on the floor. When Harden is not on the floor, CP's usually going against bench units so his style will suit. He took 6.5 attempts last season, surely he can manage 2 more if he cuts out a couple of mid range shots and teammates look for him more.

However, in the long term, CP3 needs to improve every aspect of his shooting as a priority. Off screens, iso, open catch and shoot, everything. That is the #1 way he can remain valuable even as his athleticism declines.

As far as iso'ing for 3's against wing defenders, we're talking about a skill that 3-4 players in the NBA have and Harden is the best of them. Would not expect CP3 to replicate that.

13. Stepback3GOOD

Stepback3GOOD Member

my thing is, i know nba players should always maximize their value in free-agency. But how could cp3 as a man sign that contract( making more than harden). When he knew in his heart he is not a max player anymore. I mean i dont even think harden would do something like that to cripple the franchise, you just shut the door on hardens prime in houston with that contract.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Gonna be a long 4 years with that deal

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Early on I wasn't that concerned that CP3 didn't look like CP3 - but we're two thirds of a way through the season now. I'm concerned. Especially when this is year 1 of 4 on that monstrous contract.

He was so big for us up until his injury in the WCF last year. I don't know how you don't pay him. I feel like if they had let him walk it would have created HUGE problems with Harden. But damn. 4 years 160 million. Please let this just be a matter of him not being 100% healthy or having time to get into game shape. Because if this is just who he is now we're going to be stuck.

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Well then your eye test is bad, incredibly so.

Lol you have no understanding of how the money works to even be complaining about how much he makes.

And Chris will be there when it matters. He’s gotten off to a slow start but he will pick it up and last night showed that.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Omg this is so incredibly wrong

18. fattz

fattz Member

Would the Pacers do it?

I think just keeping Knight is the right answer —> recovers fully, recovers 1/2 way, or expiring contract he becomes an asset next season vs a liability as of now. We will have to hang a FRP around his neck for anyone to look at him. IMO Gordon is the odd man out this season —> could get an even or better return in a deal - vs - a complete loss on Knight.

19. xaos

xaos Member

Early in the season I felt like the plan was to let Chris Paul take the summer off (not entirely) so he can work his way in shape during the season. He seemed like he wasn't trying to overburden himself early on. Now, after coming back from injury he looks like he is not sure what course of action to take. Does he go all out to get back into CP3 form or wait a little longer to go into the playoffs strong? Ive been a fan of CP3 for his entire career and I know this dude is a fighter that wants to win. Im concerned but haven't lost any hope for him

#79 xaos, Feb 2, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2019
    BeBreezy likes this.
  20. Remlap

Remlap Member

Well, we had Clint when we were competing against these other teams.
    CP or not, Clint has proven his value inside.
    We should see a different Rockets team when JH, CP and Clint are all back on the floor