1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Skydiver preparing for 23 mile jump from the edge of space

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by KingCheetah, May 22, 2010.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I've always found this high altitude jumping really fascinating -- amazing that the record (102,800 feet) set in 1960 hasn't been broken.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/81gn2oLeC_U&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/81gn2oLeC_U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Video of Kittinger's jump
    _____

Skydiver preparing for 120,000-foot supersonic fall

New York (CNN) -- An Austrian daredevil is planning to become the first person to break the sound barrier in a free fall, without riding in a vehicle.

This summer in New Mexico, Felix Baumgartner hopes to make the highest, longest and fastest fall ever.

His attempt will take him to an altitude where the atmosphere ends and space begins -- where blood boils at body temperature, and the air temperature could be as low as minus 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

The first step in the attempt will be riding a helium balloon to an altitude of 120,000 feet above sea level -- almost 23 miles -- higher than anyone has ascended in a balloon before.

Then, wearing a pressurized suit and oxygen tanks, he plans to jump out of his capsule for a five-minute fall back to Earth. Within the first 30 seconds, he expects to be falling faster than the speed of sound, which at that altitude is around 690 miles per hour. Crossing that barrier would mark a new test of the limits of the human body.

"This is what we want to find out: What happens to the human body when it breaks the speed of sound," Baumgartner said. "That's a big question mark."

To increase his chances of survival, his parachute is set to open automatically, even if he's unconscious or spinning so fast his hands are pinned by the G-force. He said his engineers are taking every precaution, testing out the suit in a wind tunnel and providing him with a backup chute, sealed gloves and boots, and an advanced helmet.

"This helmet also has face-shield heating to make sure your visor's not getting fogged up on the way down, because that would be fatal," he said. "If you don't see anything, you can't move anymore. You can't make decisions."

Still, the risk of the unknown remains. "If something happens, it happens fast," he said. "You can never say you're not going to get killed under any circumstances," but "we have a lot of solutions for emergency situations like this."

A chain reaction of events would have to occur before the jump could turn fatal, he said.

A potential benefit from the mission, he said, would be demonstrating that it is possible to return from space without a spacecraft.

"In the future, a lot more tourists will go and travel to space. And if something goes wrong with their spacecraft, they have to return to Earth somehow," he said. "We will show to the world that egress from high altitude is survivable."

The main difference is that Baumgartner will start from a standstill, whereas astronauts in a craft like the space shuttle are traveling at orbital speeds close to 18,000 mph when their re-entry begins.

The previous record for the highest jump has stood for half a century, since it was set in 1960 by Joe Kittinger with the Air Force. He reached an altitude of 102,800 feet, and says it felt like a very distant and hostile place to be.

"You know that right outside of you is a vacuum of space," he said, "and without the protection of that pressure suit, you cannot live. And that's an interesting thought."

Baumgartner, whose attempt is being financed by energy drink maker Red Bull, has enlisted Kittinger as a consultant.

"We have learned a lot from people in the past who tried to break that record, and they all failed," Baumgartner said. "Some of these people got killed."

But he adds, "I think it's human nature, you know. Records are meant to be broken. And I'm a very competitive person. I like the challenge."

link

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

How did he solve the icing problem?

3 people like this.
  3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

lmao!

4. Al Calavicci

Al Calavicci Contributing Member

Very cool, thanks for the post! :cool:

5. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

6. KingCheetah

I suggest everyone who is interested in this watch that video -- all the high def cameras filming this adventure are going to be incredible. I'm really surprised there aren't people trying this more frequently -- jumping from the edge of space has to be one of the biggest rushes you can experience.

7. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

I think posting on ClutchFans is pretty EXTREME!

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCNk9u2p3PI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WCNk9u2p3PI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Check it out, extreme cheddar!

... but seriously, this is some cool ****. Extreme!

8. KingCheetah

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lB1PTOp1aKk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Finally, I get to update my two year old - 6 post thread.

9. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

So when is it going to happen?

10. lean

lean Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

This fascinates me, quick facts from the "Red Bulletin"- Redbull magazine:

- 5 hours total time

- Coldest temp during ascent -76 degrees F

- Once the balloon reaches 120,000 ft. Baumgartner will jump

- 35 sec. later he reaches his maximum speed

- Five and a half minutes after jumping out of his capsule he will pull the ripcord (FIVE AND A HALF MINUTES!- world record):eek:

- Top speed expected- 689 mph (world recrord free fall speed)

- Fifteen minutes after this he lands on the ground

Just to give you some perspective of what 120,00 ft (-23miles) is, the highest ever jet altitude was 85,068 ft, and your average commerical flight flies at 36,000 ft.

12. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

I've always thought about skydiving. My only concern is like the stomach dropping feeling on a roller coaster. I would be worried that the feeling would not subside and having a heart attack or something....:eek:

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hope he doesn't wear the red suit.

[​IMG]

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

In normal skydiving, from relatively low altitude, you reach terminal velocity pretty quickly, as I understand it. So the stomach lurch thing is over pretty quickly.

I'm just glad I'm more easily entertained than some people.

LOL @ Cheetah's 2 year old, 6-post thread. *snicker*

KingCheetah likes this.
  15. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

What's up with the 60's looking electronics in the Red Bull capsule. Seems like they should be able to run all required processes on a hacked Nintendo DS running some flavor of Linux.

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think this is pretty cool and dangerous but I think there are many more exploits that are much more dangerous. We've known since 1947 that humans can travel faster than the speed of sound and since 1961 that humans can survive in a near vacuum. To me this just comes down to how good the suit and chute are designed.

It still takes cojones to do this and I am not planning on doing this anytime soon but if the engineers do their jobs right the guy jumping doesn't really have to do anything.

17. stonegate_archer

stonegate_archer Contributing Member

They could put a monkey in it to do it first, and they should.

18. roxxfan

roxxfan Contributing Member

Whew! Good news

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I went skydiving once and sensation of falling last less than a second. Its nothing like a roller coaster or free fall ride. I actually got sick after the chute opened because you circle your landing site and it made me very motion sick.

20. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

I thought it was like 200 miles until you reached outer space, either way, this is crazy!