1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Melo just retire after this year?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Tha_Dude, Jan 19, 2017.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

don't think he's close to retirement, he just needs to realize that he's not good enough to be the top player on a good team. But that's easier said than done for someone like Melo.

vtjsr2 likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I've been surprised overall by his career arc, based on what I initially expected for him, even after his first couple of years in the NBA.

Since he won a championship in college, I thought it spoke to his competitiveness and his ability to improve those around him. That's often the case, whether it's a top guy like Jordan or Magic or Bird (yes, he lost, but he got to the final game) or even the over-achievers like Battier.

So I guess Melo is kind of in the Christian Laettner school of NCAA success.

As long as I don't have to watch his games, I don't mind if he continues to make the Knicks sucky. But otherwise, yes, he should hang up his sneakers, just based on performance.

3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As terrible as Melo has been in recent years, I still think he could have a great 2nd act to his career, if he's willing. If he's willing to decline his 3rd year or manage a buyout with the Knicks, he could go somewhere and be an extremely valuable secondary scorer/stretch 4. He is also much better suited to guard 4's in the NBA becuase he simply doesn't have the quickness to guard the perimeter.

Having said that, i don't expect it to happen. I think he wants to be the man, but he will never be the man on a team that matters. Nor do i think he would be willing to give up a significant enough amount of money to make it happen. He is still an extremely talented offensive player, he's just not good enough to be a high volume leading scorer. Don't think he realizes that though.

4. steveng125

steveng125 Member

He would do great here coming off the bench with the 2nd unit

5. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Only if he doesn't disrupt the goodness Eric Gordon is doing right now.

6. Lightsnowaction

No way, too much $$$ would be left on the table.

7. vtjsr2

vtjsr2 Member

to me, and i think i've been saying this since 2010...i think he's the most overrated player in NBA history. dude is in it for the fame. LaLa runs the show.

it was a no-brainer that he should've went to chicago in 2014. and you really don't want to waive your no-trade clause to possibly go join a contender...cmon dude

i guess that's when happens when you put the p***y on the pedestal.

8. RocketsFan92

RocketsFan92 Member

he just needs a fresh start! send his ass to the vipers.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Shaqtin a fool of the year candidate LOL

malakas likes this.
  10. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The best deals in the Morey era are those deals he failed to make which prevented the Rockets fell into a deep hole like the Heat or the Knicks, except for the Harden deal of course.

11. steveng125

steveng125 Member

Yeah just can't trust Melo. He gets jealous quickly of other players doing good. I would like to just have him to be flipped for Paul George next season.

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one will take on that albatross contract, and that cancerous loser.

DD

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Melo should waive his no-trade clause, not retire.

He's been hiding behind the "loyal to the Knicks" blather to mask how little he cares about playing for a championship. While I'm sure the recent losing skid is frustrating, as long as he isn't blamed for losing, it's all good in Melo's mind.

This guy is one of the phoniest jokes I've ever seen in sports.

Sometimes I think he's scared of leaving and watching them improve without him.

Tha_Dude and Easy like this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baske...ays-he-d-consider-leaving-new-york-1.12989020

Carmelo Anthony’s stance hasn’t changed. He wants to remain a Knick. But in an exclusive interview with Newsday the Knicks star said he would consider leaving if that’s what the front office wanted.

Anthony has a no-trade clause in his contract, but he said he would be willing to listen to management if they told him they wanted to make a change.

“I think it will be more on the front office,” Anthony told Newsday this week. “I have the power, but still I would talk to them. We would be in communication if they feel like they want to go in a different direction, they want to start rebuilding for the future. If they tell me they want to scrap this whole thing, yeah, I have to consider it.”

The Knicks declined to comment.

Anthony, 32, made it clear he isn’t thinking about going anywhere, nor does he allow himself at this point. He and his family love it in New York, and his son is in school here.

“We’re settled,” Anthony said.

Although things are unsettled with the Knicks, Anthony remains committed. He’s putting aside his differences with team president Phil Jackson and focusing on his teammates and trying to help the Knicks turn around their season.

It would be easy for Anthony, who signed a five-year contract in 2014, to look for a more stable, winning environment. But he said he doesn’t want to turn his back on his team right now, or make it all about him.

“It’s hard for me to think about that right now,” Anthony said. “When you’re in the middle of battling, whether we’re winning or losing, me personally, it’s hard to even sit down and say, ‘[Expletive] I want to get out of here.’

“There’s a part of me that also would feel like I’m being selfish to the guys that are on the team right now, in the midst of us losing to just try to figure a way to escape from everything. For me personally, it would be more of something I would really have to think about and consider. Put it all on the table and figure it out.”

Anthony knows his name will come up before the NBA’s trade deadline on Feb. 23. If nothing happens by then, Anthony will have more time over the summer to talk about it with his family, who will have a say in his decision.

But his future has become a topic again after Jackson confidant Charley Rosen wrote an internet column stating that “Anthony has outlived his usefulness in New York.” Anthony believed that was Jackson’s opinion, and said, “If they feel that my time in New York is over, then I guess that’s a conversation we should have.”

They had a brief conversation Tuesday with Anthony telling Jackson he wants to stay with the Knicks. When Anthony was told it appears the Knicks are trying to push him out, he laughed and said, “I won’t speak on that.”

A league source with knowledge of the team’s thinking said before the Tuesday meeting that the Knicks wanted Anthony “as long as it’s mutual.”

If Anthony did agree to waive his no-trade clause, a popular belief is Anthony would only accept trades to play with his buddy LeBron James in Cleveland or Chris Paul with the Clippers. The Celtics make sense since they could use another scorer and have assets and draft picks that could entice the Knicks.

Anthony has a 15-percent trade kicker in his contract that could make him difficult to move. It’s worth roughly $9.9 million, and would be split in half and added to his salary this season and next.

Anthony said he’s proven his loyalty and commitment to the team and organization time and again. And he bristles at the idea that he doesn’t care about winning because if that were the case he would have asked for a trade already.

“Hell, no. Not at all,” Anthony said. “Everything I’ve built myself on has been about winning. I want to win here in New York. If that time comes when it’s time for me to really figure out what’s my next move, leaving or not, then I’ll figure it out.”​

15. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Damn... people really hate Melo... lol.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

"We're settled". An ounce of truth came out of his mouth.

Melo and his family are settled in New York and that is the most important thing to him. This is why he doesn't want to leave that train wreck of an organization to have a legit chance of playing in June.

He should just admit it and stop pretending. Money and love for his city are in the front seat, not a competitive desire to accomplish anything.

Richie_Rich and Jayzers_100 like this.
  17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

his overpaid ass contract is too big. We'd have to break apart our core to get him in a trade and that's even praying he'll gel with D'antoni (who he apparently disliked) and Harden. We'd be gambling big time if we tried to get him.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

He can still be very effective as a power forward. He is money on catch and shoot 3's and has the talent to destroy small guards that switch on to him. This is why he's been so great in international play. I just don't see a trade scenario with a contender that works for the Knicks. With the cap continuing to rise, cap room isn't worth what it was 10 years ago. So they probably won't be happy with expiring contracts. I don't see another team giving up great players with there being so much risk with him personality wise and I don't see the Knicks giving up any assets to send him to another team. It just looks like the Knicks/Melo are stuck until one of the 2 are willing to give up something for nothing.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Eh he's obviously unmotivated in his current loosing situation (his own fault, he chose NYK, he's given up)... but I think he's still got game and if he was traded to a competive winning team, that he'd likely kick back into gear. He'd be great addition to a team like the Rockets/Celtics/OKC. He's not good enough to carry a team, but he'd be a great addition to take a team on the brink of contending to the next level.

Still a extremely talented scorer and a good rebounder for a SF. Only 32, he's still got 2-3 more years of his current level of play baring any injuries.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The problem is Melo refuses to play unselfishly in the NBA like he has on Team USA. It's a striking contrast.

He doesn't respect his teammates and coaches in the NBA enough to get with the program. So, yes, Melo would be a very good PF in theory. However, until he adapts to a system that doesn't cater to his whims, forget it.

Anyone remember a few years ago when D'Antoni tried to turn Melo into the point guard (or forward) of the Knicks like he's done with Harden? I laughed hard when they announced the plan. It failed because the only guy Melo can facilitate on a regular basis is himself.