1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Ariza did not give Rockets a meeting in FA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Cleverly disguised ‘Tilman has financial problems’ post.

#81 Tfor3, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    ROXonROXonROX likes this.
  2. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

You could see it coming, dont really remember if it was one of Lowe or O'Connor's pieces, where he was stating that this ISO system was not his thing. He basically was saying he really loved a system where everybody did something. Not that he went for it, as he ended up in PHX.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

fake news

4. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

haha Im working but Im going to look for it, I casually put it here to see if someone else read the same piece.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

At @The Cat. @KellyUnchained quoted a source (agent/friend ??) who said Ariza wanted $50-60m over 4-5 yrs.

Let’s not confuse that with the Rockets not getting a chance to negotiate, and please don’t say we broke FAncy rules (which we don’t need to break, and never have before) by negotiating with Ariza before July 1st, to include Paul agreeing to discounts.

Incumbent teams don’t need to break rules with Harsh Penalties, because they always get a chance...unless one side refuses, which makes news like Shams just provided.

If we have to resort to saying we broke the rules, and Ariza knew our final offer with Paul discount, then show me a source who leaked *that* breaking of rules, otherwise it’s a boring tangent merely to deflect the importance of Shams new News, and stick to our Summer Narratives, led by @Carl Herrera

Why are these great points? They are predicated on Morey breaking the league FAncy rules.

It’s very weak points to assume we should break the rules, yet no source has EVER said Morey has started negotiations with his Bird free agents prior to it being legal.

Weak sauce world of conspiracy theory stuff, imo.

6. heypartner

This is not allowed. Where do you get this from? Morey frequently explains this.

They are free agents. No team gets a head start.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

are you saying that you don't think the rockets had any discussions with ariza about his free agency prior to him going to the suns

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I am open to any number of reasons to how things went down. We don't really know, tbh. But there are a lot of people that are sure they think they know.

9. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23597463/zach-lowe-trevor-ariza-houston-rockets-2018-nba-playoffs

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Ever hear phrase “don’t burn bridges”?

11. heypartner

Shams said he agreed with Suns then we tried to get him to renege during the Moratorium.

To me, Occams Razor dictates Ariza was required to take it or leave it on first phone call (and we have *other* sources saying that is what Suns said), and he accepted it then didn’t want to back down on his word, because he places negotiating value on keeping his word, unlike Deandre Jordan.

I mean if you want to spin Shams news that Rockets didn’t get a chance to negotiate by saying all the negotiations where done illegally prior to July 1st, to include Paul’s leaked willingness to give a discount, then go for it. Weak conspiracy theory stuff imo, because it isn’t needed...see Redick’s documentary of how he got a similar 1yr for ridiculous money, in half a day. He didn’t do that prior.​

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

you're wrong and you're being rude about it.

:48

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

this really didn't answer the question. If anyone thinks the rockets didn't have any discussions prior to him leaving then that's just them. I don't think there's anything weak conspiracy theory about it because it makes total sense that they would

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

Cp3 should have sacrificed $$$. Trevor didn't appreciate that declining CP3 got all the cap

15. Garner

Garner Member

If you know what Houston's max offer is without a meeting and your driving variable is money....then how is this a story?

16. heypartner

How am I being rude?

Teams can talk to their players because they are officially still under contract and can even be traded, like Chris Paul. Teams can also freely express their general desire to resign a player and praise their importance to the team. That ESPN comment in the vid is not about negotiating new contracts. Jerry West talking to CP3 about a trade, and Ariza negotiating with Rockets and Paul’s discount promise are completely different.

Morey has explained this. Maybe I can find a quote from Morey about this.

The CBA only states that July 1st is when free agent are free to negotiate. No exact language to say when you can’t negotiate... :)

17. txn

txn Member

Lol, I wouldnt meet with Rockets and CP3 too if I am Ariza. I don't want them to pull a DeAndre Jordan on me when I am looking for the first decent contract at this stage of my career.

18. heypartner

I’m answering the question by stating we never hear of such leaks, and Shams considers this news.

Why would a player sit down for formal discussions without his agent. And if it’s so common, how would those never leak? GMs would be really stupid to expose themselves to breaking the rules in the presence of a highly leakable source like an agent.

So, to answer the question: no, I don’t think Ariza would talk seriously without his agent, and I don’t think Morey would talk in the presence of an agent...other than to say in general, we want to keep him and look forward to negotiating.​

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

so if a player doesn't sit down for discussions regarding their future, extensions wouldn't exist. again that's just what you believe. And I believe ariza and the rockets already had their own internal discussions to get a general idea of where both sides were at, at the very least. that makes a lot of sense to me and that goes for any player pending FA on their respective roster at the time

20. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

There was never a chance we were going to sign Ariza. We are over the top luxury tax threshold, meaning every new dollar spent costs $2.50 in luxury tax. So Ariza would have cost $15 million in salary, plus $37.5 million in tax, for a total of $52.5 million. Even Jeff Bezos is not going to pay $52.5 million for one year's use of a declining role player.