1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Shams] Ariza did not give Rockets a meeting in FA

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 17, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

and to add hes been underpaid for years, while other mediocre players got paid these past few years just bc they were free agents at the right time. of course that's not the rockets fault bc of the timing of the cap rise but still ariza has to take advantage of it as much as possible while he still can

2. impressivegol

impressivegol Member

Such a non-story.

MDA said himself, that when he saw Ariza after the season, but before FA, at the League awards gala (or whatever it's called) that he told him "i hope you get paid" so it was already conceded on both sides that he was gone. no point in a meeting. a meeting would've been CP/Morey pleading for him to take less $ and he already had his mind that he wasn't going to do that.

Vivi, hakeem94, topfive and 1 other person like this.
  3. Jontro

Jontro Member

so how much of that suns money does ariza realistically pocket? 10 mil?

4. wesbound

wesbound Member

If CP3 was all about winning & willing to take a lil less then we wouldn't have a problem retaining Ariza or Mutay.
    Hogging up the salary cap & expect the other guys that does all the dirty works & to take less is just ****ed up in many cases with these star players..
    And as much as i hate the warriors... these ****ers did sacrifice their salary a bit to make it work.. i give them props for that.

Y2JT likes this.
  5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wow! I had no idea about this. I do wonder if players are avoiding to join Chris and James for other reasons apart from money though. Ariza's statement of everyone not being equal, bothers me.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Moute could have been signed with the MLE. His injuries obviously made it hard for Houston to re-sign him.

topfive likes this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

unless cp3 was playing for free then it had 0 impact on actual money. this false narrative needs to be put away. Rockets were going to be in the LT regardless

8. aroundtheblock2

Probably because Phoenix slapped a mega $15 million deal on the table before anyone could say anything else. Trevor and his agent knew there weren't many teams with cap to offer. He got 3x what any contender would have been able to give him. I find it hard to believe he'd just shut out the Rockets out of spite or indignation .

cbs1507 and steddinotayto like this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Who on the Warriors sacrified their money besides Durant, whose "sacrifice" allowed Igoudala to get his payday? Curry's previous contract was cheaper because he was an injury risk at the time of that extension.

#29 steddinotayto, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    dmoneybangbang and YOLO like this.
  10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

#FAKE NEWS.

It was SmashBurger.

"One black fedora hat.........One unused SmashBurger napkin......(pauses, grabs tweezers).....One, soiled."

topfive and steddinotayto like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I feels ya, but.......well, everyone isn't equal. "Here, Trevor, be equal." 0-9.

12. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

This lacks context. What were the Rockets offering? Did Houston offer $15m/1 year? $33m/3 years? $12m/1 year?

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

have you not noticed what the rockets spent in the offseason for their role players. those are some generous numberso_O

14. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

If I had a better job offer, the prerequisite for me to even consider sitting down in the office of my boss and hearing about a potential counter-offer is a willingness to match the offer.

15. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

At a macro level, it wouldn't have been anything that high considering the "competition" Houston had if they actually wanted to retain Trevor. Because

1. The contending teams that could have used a player like Ariza most likely had only the MLE to offer
    2. The teams with salary cap room were so crappy that there's no point in signing him to a huge contract because they were probably in a rebuilding mode
    3. Phoenix Suns

Y2JT likes this.
  16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Trevor's new agents had already let it be known that he was seeking a 4-5 year contract in the range of $50-$60M. The Rockets probably thought that was absurd, and they would have been correct.

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

But the poor sports journalists have a family to feed. They have to manufacture the outrage.

glimmertwins and impressivegol like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good for Trev. We walked away in time.

19. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't trust any gossipy spin on this. The simplest explanation is that the Suns told Ariza they'd pay him a specific boatload to come over, the Rockets had their chance to match it or come close, and we didn't. (I'm assuming all of that was signaled at the outset, possibly skirting the rules.) And Ariza or his reps saw no point in having a meeting without a sufficient financial commitment from the Rockets.

Also, just a reminder: Keeping Ariza would not have solved our problems. This board would have two Ariza-hating threads a week.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Perhaps it played out like....

Ariza(agent): "I want a 4-5 year deal in the range of $50-60M."
    Rockets: "We can't do *that deal* but you are free to shop around to see if someone else will *give you that deal*"
    Suns: "We will only offer you 1yr 15M because we need to maintain cap space for next year. Take it or leave it 'right now'"
    Rockets: "Ariza, I see you did not get that 4-5yr $50-60M deal. Can we still talk?"
    Ariza: "Nah, I am good."

AroundTheWorld likes this.