1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Secondary Playmaker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chenjy9, Jan 27, 2015.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

TL/DR: Why do people insist we need a playmaking point guard like that is our only option?

I have read in quite a few pages now from various members that insist we need a playmaking PG like there are no other options we should even be considering. This honestly confuses me. I understand that our PG position could use upgrading, more so than any other position. I know that we need a secondary playmaker to sustain our offense when Harden is sitting, due to Dwight Howard's lackluster performance thus far this season. What I fail to understand however is, why do we need a PLAYMAKING PG specifically?

The way I see it, we have one extremely urgent problem of not having a secondary playmaker and a lesser, more negligible problem of needing a better PG. While it would be nice to kill two birds with one stone, I do not consider it a necessity. To me, a playmaker can come from any of the other positions as well. To me, a playmaker doesn't even need to be a starter, but can be someone that comes off the bench when Harden is resting.

I would like to hear everyone else's thoughts on this matter, especially those who feel we need specifically a playmaking PG or disagree with my perspective.

2. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

It's not the only one, its just the more likely one.

3. chenjy9

Supporting Member

See I agree with this, but a lot of members are approaching this in various threads like it is the only option. When we talk about trades and playmakers, all I see people talking about are point guards. I am trying to understand why this is. Is there a logical reason we are narrowing our search pool that I am not seeing?

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Point Guards are easier to find probably.

5. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

You say we need an upgrade at PG, and also a secondary playmaker. So why not get a better PG who can make plays? What other scenario are you trying to suggest?

6. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Like I said, if we do happen to get one that fulfills both issues, than awesome. I am not against that. I am just wondering why so many act like it is the ONLY option. We can get a playmaking forward for example. We can get a playmaking 6th man as well. I am primarily curious why people are purposely narrowing their view of who we should try to get, because that outlook/perspective really confuses me.

7. Play07

Play07 Member

1. A pg someone who can handle the ball & get sets started and score would be great.

2. But also a guy like Kevin Martin coming off the bench who can get you 15-20 a night, high 3pt% would be major. (trade papa and NY2nd for him would be great)
    3. A pf who can knock down some shots help those playmakers while bringing some attention to them making defenses react will also help.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Whoever it is better help with our turnovers. That's a real problem. We need better passers on this team and I fugure a starting caliber PG,might help with that.

Harden is the best passer on the team followed by Josh Smith. That **** ain't right.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Morey was pushing hard for Melo, not Lowry. So yeah - PG isn't the only way to solve this puzzle.

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I definitely agree with this. It's simply that every time a thread talks about trading for a playmaker, people list only point guards. No one even brings up players from other positions. I wonder if it is simply because most of us want to get Dragic that some people get hung up on PG's.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's not just for when Harden sits, but to play alongside him, especially in the 4Q. It leaves SF as the only other position but Ariza is too important to replace and Brewer has become maybe just as. Plus it took years and Morey went through a few prospects looking for a playmaking SF before landing Parsons. There just aren't many of them in the league.

12. joeson332

joeson332 Member

should have done a Kyle lowry poster instead of a Carmelo Anthony one back in the summer then huh

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Is Melo really a playmaker though? Sure ha can score, but playmaker? We really have to check the stats on that I'd be surprised.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

There are only 3 positions on this team that where we can meaningfully improve. PG, SF, and PF.

"Playmaking" SFs and PFs cost at ton and are generally not available. There are lots of PGs that can fill that role, and the quantity of quality is there.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Stats? Morey has you guys thinking way too hard about everything, man. It's simple. Does Carmelo Anthony make plays? If you answered yes... he's a playmaker.

16. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

It's the same freaking thing, what kind of good PG doesnt make plays? That's the kind of PG the Rockets already have.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Anthony Davis and Demarcus Cousings are the top 2 "non-backcourt" scorers in the league. They are still assisted on 72% and 52% of their 2 point field goals, respectively.

Harden is assisted on 15% of his 2 point field goals. Even Klay Thompson is "only" assisted on 49% of his 2 point field goals (though 80% of 3 pointers).

What I'm getting at is that "big-men" that are prolific scorers aren't really "playmakers" anyway.

This doesn't even get into measuring playmaking with assists. Harden has had an ast % (estimate of percentage of a teammates field goals they assist while on the floor) of 25% or more every year with the Rockets... its 35% this year. Davis is at 8.6%, Cousins at 18%...even Hakeem never topped 18%. Noah was at 26% last year, which is amazing for a big. Gasol is steady in the high teens.

So when people say secondary playmaker, that's what they mean. Someone who is capable of creating for themselves or others at volume. In todays NBA, and heck, the NBAs of the past, that typically means "backcourt" players.

We're not replacing Harden. That leaves SF or PG. I don't see a SF option out there that fits the bill? Plus, despite his shooting slump, Ariza is more valuable, as a bigger player that can have more of an impact defensively given versatility.

Can we improve our bench? Sure. But it's not like Jamal Crawfords of the world are being given away. Brewer is about as close as you'll find to that - the "free" meaningful improvement. But even he isn't a "great" playmaker. He's done a lot better of the bench, as would be expected, but principally as an improved shooter and solid slasher. He's still being assisted on 63% of his two pointers and ALL of his 3 pointers as a Rocket.

So how are we going to find this "bench" playmaker, and what will we trade to acquire him?

The most likely targets are PGs... because, well, they're the most likely targets that fit the bill.

OP, are there some non-PGs that you have in mind?

3 people like this.
  18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

1. Derek Fisher
    2. Mario Chalmers

Both of these are PG's that have played on contenders and neither are playmakers.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Derek Fisher did not play for this Rockets team. Derek Fisher had Kobe, Shaq, Durant, and Westbrook. James Harden for three out of four games is the only person in double digits, thats a problem.

20. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Ummm you assume that I value knowledge and facts because of Daryl Morey? You are telling way too much about yourself bud.