1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Secondary Playmaker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chenjy9, Jan 27, 2015.

1. hakeemthagreat

Add Ron Harper & Kenny Smith to that list

I think ppl's obsession with Dragic is driving this. They want Dragic SO bad they'll take every chance to chit on Bev. We can use a playmaker, but it doesn't neccesarily have to be a replacement for Bev. It could be as simple as a backup PG. As seen in the Phoenix game, Dragic's close to useless with another ball dominant guard out there. If it's hard to produce with Bledsoe, just imagine how it'll be with Harden. Bottom line, he's more of a scoring guard than a PG. Isiah Thomas fits our needs better than Dragic as a backup

2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

LOL.... Ron Harper was a heck of a player for mcuh of his career. Sure, he was a shell of that when he won with the Bulls... which had freaking MJ, Scotty Pippen, Kukoc... you know a lot of good offensive players that could create.

Kenny Smith was more than competent himself. Even in the championship years, when his numbers were down a bit, he was still better than Bev on a per36 and per 100 possession basis - meaningfully.

PBev is a tier below those guys. Mario Chalmers? You mean the 4th/5th option on a team with Lebron, Wade, Bosh?

Yes, you can win with average point guards... if the rest of your squad is littered with great offensive talent and playmakers...

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yet another person who thinks like this? Listen if Bev was a playmaker no one would want Dragic, maybe as a backup. No one hates Bev. Point guards traditionally should be playmakers Bev is not and we need one. It's not personal.

We love our players but that doesn't mean the Rockets are perfect and able to contend as is. Isn't that the goal?

4. Cranberry_Juice

I still don't understand how the Lakers won a championship in 2009-2010 season.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The had Andrew Bynum, Paul Gasol and Kobe Bryant in their primes.

6. Cranberry_Juice

Wasn't Bynum hurt most of that time?

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

A SF who can make play is likely a superstar (or thinks he's a superstar ;)). And we are not going to get one.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

What I have in mind would be scorers that can come off the bench to replace or play alongside Harden, more so in a 6th man type role. Some of the players I would like to see would be the following:

- Marcus Thorton
    - CJ Miles
    - Kevin Martin
    - Eric Gordon
    - Jason Richardson
    - Nick Young

Some of these maybe untouchable despite how bad their teams are. Others might be on the older side, but are still good scorers in limited time.

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Eric what? Jason who?

10. chenjy9

Supporting Member

So a lot are suggesting PG in order to replace a starter. Do we have to limit our choices to a starter replacement though? Personally I would like to see a scorer that can come off the bench, maybe a formidable scorer that is older now and cannot play starter minutes.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I think that's great...

BUT, why not at least TRY and get the one better thing first? We need a better scorer/playmaker/PG that can play 30 mpg+ first. If DM can't get that, I'm sure he'll look at other moves.

Also, playing alongside Harden, which you mentioned, is paramount. Harden's going to play 35+ mpg in the playoffs. He just is. As he should.

So, you really have to think about the names you mention, most of whom are "pure" SG's. Can you really play Kevin Martin alongside Harden a lot? Maybe... I don't know. Then DM will have to consider contracts. Do you want to take the risk of Kevin Martin working, when he is locked up for 2 more years at $7+ million - which isn't overpaying, but is a big chunk of change locked up in a guy whose primary role will be to backup Harden?

I think you may be confusing top priority with overall priorities. Top priority is a playmaking point guard. That's an obvious no brainer to me. It doesn't mean you chase that at the expense of making other moves that could improve the squad.

Also, in the playoffs the team will go 8 deep, with the occasional 9th and 10th man getting time. Brewer and Smith are no brainer bench guys. If you get a new starter while keeping the current 5 (eg. trade something like the NOP pick, Jones, assets), then PBev becomes that third bench guy.

But absolutely, let's get better on the bench as well.

12. hooroo

hooroo Member

Kobe was the primary ballhandler, Odom the point forward, and Pau's a good passing bag man.

13. hakeemthagreat

What's your point? The question was can a team win a ring without a playmaking PG, and the answer absolutely. Its been done PLENTY of times. Ron Harper also played on 2000-01 Lakers team, was he a playmaking guard then? No he wasn't. He was a DEFENSIVE guard and HORRENDUS 3pt shooter. Kenny Smith was a spotup 3pt shooter, but was NOT a ball handler either (There was a game against Derek Harper where he couldn't even get the ball past midcourt without getting ripped). So the notion we can't win with Bev is just nonsense. If Bev continues playing D & hitting his 3's around 40% he should be good.

How ironic Bev outplays Dragic in a win and NOBODY mentions it. Had we lost, and Bev scored 2pts on 1-5 you'd guys be ALL over him. Sounds a little bias

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I want to set my stance first; I would love to have a playmaking PG like Dragic. I just don't see it as our only option. What confuses me is that when we talk about playmakers, people instantly bring up only PG's like Dragic, MCW, Lawson, Jackson, ect. It's like no one even considers that our secondary playmaker can come from any other position.

I guess I am less concerned about things like "position" compared to others. To me, Harden plays PG on our team. He might be SG on paper, but his role on our team is PG. In my eyes, on our team Bev fills the SG role which is why I do not feel upgrading at starting PG is such an urgency, but getting that secondary playmaker IS an urgent priority.

I do get what most of you are saying in that a playmaking PG starting next to Harden is what would be ideal however. I agree with that absolutely.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

This is something Haralabos said about our current situation:

I think Morey would agree with this. Pat fits, as long as he's hitting that three. Unfortunately, because Dwight isn't a post presence at all anymore, we need a better scorer at another position because guys can't sit back and get great looks all game from Howard/Harden. I don't think they feel they need a playmaker, but they do need more than a set shooter. Someone who can drive and is a threat to finish. Options are dwindling though....i guess they could look to upgrade the 3 or 4 too, but they probably feel Dragic is the best to target.

16. seeingred

seeingred Member

One argument for adding a play making PG is that it forces the other teams' PG to play defense. As it stands, teams we play can put their wing scorers on Bev and Ariza. They basically jog to the 3 pt line and hang out, resting up for their next offensive possession.

Adding another guy to create off the dribble means 2 of their wing players will now have to play heavy defense. And if it's a play making PG we're adding (as opposed to a SF) then there is a strong chance it will be the opposing teams' PG defending him (they probably won't want to put a SF on him or guard Ariza with a PG).

for instance, I'd be interested to see what kind of games Lillard and Curry have against each other and who guards whom when they play.

17. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Patrick Beverly cannot score like Mo Williams.

18. finsraider

finsraider Member

Imagine Miami with Lebron but no Wade. That's who the Rockets are right now. Is Harden a great playmaker? Of course. Is he our only playmaker? Absolutely, and that's the problem.

You can't play off Harden. You have to be close to him no matter where he is on the court. The same is basically true of Dragic. He can hurt you from almost anywhere. Beverley? Guard the 3 point line and you're fine. That, in a nutshell, is the issue with this team.

19. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

what does that have to do with what I posted? :confused:

20. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I thnk we all know Bev's weaknesses...but the OP is asking why the upgrade has to be made there and with a play maker. Technically, Ariza is in the same boat. We're not replacing Harden or Howard, so the options should be :

A. Upgrade Bev or Ariza
    B. Upgrade PF spot.

Considering Dmo is holding his own on both ends, there are less reason to look for an upgrade there, as it'll be harder to get. So we're left with option A.