1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Secondary Playmaker

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by chenjy9, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Num1RoXfaN

Num1RoXfaN Member

Swaggy P anyone? Seems to be in the dog house

2. Asian Sensation

Yes, because the Warriors are totally going to trade us Klay Thompson.

3. kemah

kemah Member

PG is the weakest link besides the 4 but playmaking PG's are usually ball dominant and they will not be ball dominant on this team unless Harden sits. Dragic who everyone loves so much is a ball dominant PG but I think can be satisfied in playing a less dominant role for a ring but he is looking to get paid a max next and I doubt we are going to lock the cap down on that spot for a Dragic type player. Why even have another great playmaking guard when we already have one of the best in the world? Harden is going to get 35+ minutes a game and he will have the ball handling duties.

We need a playmaker to come off the bench not as a starter in my opinion. It would be great to have a great playmaker as a starter who can play off the ball and switch to the lead ball handler when Harden is wanting them to but will come in with a team friendly contract that gives Morey his flexibility. Know any players like that that are attainable?

4. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Great strawman. Bad reading comprehension. Terrible post.

Try again next time.

5. waisoserious

waisoserious Member

kevin martin wont get you 20 a night coming off the bench

he barely got 20 a night as a starter and primary scorer.

6. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Maybe we have our secondary playmaker. Before T. Jones was injured, he was rapidly improving. His pump fake at the three point line and drive was gold. Dwight got so many easy lobs from that play, and T. Jones, while not an excellent shooting threat, could drive it to the basket and kick it out. I'm not sold on this, but it is a thought. Motiejunas has been great for us, but he's not the same post threat as Howard. That statement may sound ridiculous, since Motiejunas is a pretty efficient scorer on the block, but Howard forces the defense to collapse, and he forces them to foul. It may not be aesthetically pleasing, but it gets us the opposition into the penalty quicker, and frees up our shooters. Motiejunas is a respectable post threat, but the defense doesn't collapse around him in the same way it does with Howard. I'm really hoping that Jones comes back and he and Motiejunas are a two headed monster at PF.

7. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Where does that leave Smith?

8. Remii

Remii Member

Secondary playmaker...???

The Rockets need a secondary consistent scoring threat. What's the purpose of more playmakers with a bunch of inconsistent scorers. Harden would be averaging 8-10 assist per game if there was another scorer on the team.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To me a playmaker can be a scorer. Anyone who creates offense for himself or others. Someone who racks up assists I'd categorize as a facilitator. Even if you don't pass the ball or score on assisted baskets, like a Von Wafer type, you're still taking pressure off other guys.

The point is to put the ball in the basket when defenses clamp down. There's a few ways to skin that cat.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Great explanation.

11. dianelo

dianelo Member

Exactly. It's not a coincidence that Curry played badly in both home loss of the season when opposing guard (Parker, Rose) had big games.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, but if the other "playmaker" ie scorer gets only 20 mins or so, it's not going to be enough, especially if he is a "ballhog" or a weak defender.

13. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I think most people are expecting that he'll leave in free agency. He'd have to take a discount to stay. If he does, he'd be coming off the bench at the four. D-Mo would come off the bench at the five. That wouldn't be immediate, but in this argument (which I'm not entirely sold on myself/, Jones is the secondary playmaker with the first unit.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent question and worthy of a thread, in my opinion. What happens to Smith if Jones comes back playing like he did at the beginning of the season? Many assume that one of Jones and Donuts will be moved at the deadline in a deal, but what if they aren't? If Dwight ends up sitting for a long stretch (god, I hope not) in order to get healthy, that would free up some minutes, but who seriously wants that?

I've been assuming that Morey will make some sort of trade before the deadline to address some of what we're discussing here, but what if he doesn't? What if the right deal simply isn't there? He may end up doing a minor transaction, or none at all. He's surprised us before in that regard.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Hosey Senor Calderon

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

With Dwight's health a big question mark, I hope Morey doesn't trade either guy (unless we get back a better big man, of course). I shudder at the thought of Dwight sitting, with DMo/Jones and Dorsey starting, Smith and Capella playing heavy minutes as backup.

17. MarioKissoDeath

Supporting Member

If Lawson and Dragic fall through, what about Evan Fournier as a lower tier option? He can score and create and has a decent 3 point shot. Or also Ben Gordon is starting to show some signs of life for Orlando. He could be a gettable scorer off the bench.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Excellent point. He might decide to hold the cards he has. Again, where would that leave Smith? At least he's on a one year deal, if the worst happened (from his perspective - not enough minutes), but he's one of Dwight's best friends. Damn, I'm glad I don't have Morey's job.

19. Houston288South

I think all of you are making valid points. How about some of you give suggestions for players that would fit as "secondary playmakers" outside of Dragic?

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Klay Thompson is more than an Elite floor spacer.

Ryan Anderson would not solve our offensive problems.