1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SCIENCE!] Dems Are Faking Their Stress Over Trump’s Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, May 21, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"You Knew It! Dems Are Faking Their Stress Over Trump’s Election." Excerpt:

A new study finds many Democrats were exaggerating the anxiety and stress they felt after the absolutely certain presidential election of Hillary Clinton that didn’t happen. You may recall Clinton herself was so shook up she could not appear on TV to concede on election night. She had to wait a day to compose herself.

Well, now this new study published in the journal SageOpen finds that many Democrats were, as Mark Twain would put it, telling stretchers about their stress and anxiety levels as a twisted way, they felt, of supporting their party.

“Our research suggests that for many Democrats, expressing mental distress after the election was a form of partisan cheerleading,” said the researchers Masha Krupenkin, David Rothschild, Shawndra Hill and Elad Yom-Tov.

“Clearly,” they added, “many Democrats were, and are, upset about the 2016 Republican victory. These findings do not invalidate those feelings but put their depth and related actions into perspective.”​

https://hotair.com/archives/2019/05/20/dems-fake-stress-over-trumps-election/

Roc Paint likes this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, as I understand it, this study looks at how Democrats were claiming actual impacts on their mental health and did a statistical study of googling habits to determine that they were not impacted in their mental health in any statistically significant way that they'd seek counseling help, medication, or suicide prevention to relieve the stress and anxiety they were feeling. The genesis of the whole thing -- that Democrats were claiming more mental anguish -- looks to be anecdotal though. There isn't some survey where Democrats said they had mental health impacts. Just a mix of surveys about Democrats saying they have more stress in a non-clinical way, plus some anecdotes about individuals taking things irrationally hard.

Anyway, a funny little article and an interesting study. I don't discount the idea that there's some 'reverse cheerleading' going on. The screaming impotently at the sky on the 1-year anniversary was some fun, funny reverse cheerleading (which I know Republicans also enjoyed). But Hotair wants to make out like it was a thing that Democrats were claiming actual mental health impacts from the election, and I never really saw that. I saw people say they were angry or stressed or anxious or pessimistic or whatever other feelings. I never worried they'd jump off a roof because of it.

The lead they bury, of course, is that the study found that Spanish speaking latinos actually show a statistically significant increase in searches for mental health assistance because of Trump's election. That latinos are actually looking for suicide prevention, for therapy, for anxiety relief because of this president. That's a pretty palpable fear in that community. Why not write about that?

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, are you enjoying simply trolling D&D now, Os? Posting a piece from “Hot Air” certainly is the right title for the source of an absurd take claiming that “Dems are faking their stress over trump’s election.” Why don’t you give us all a break and cut out the crap. I welcome honest opinions, and I’m not alone. I don’t welcome so-called “amusing” efforts that take the word “ridiculous” to new heights of meaning.

The stress Democrats, Independents, and many “traditional” Republicans feel over the nightmare trump has been putting your country through is very real. That you would even joke about it being “faked” insults my intelligence and, I suspect, the intelligence of others here. Again, with all respect due.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Really weird study...

But why couldn’t they get Google researchers? MIcrosoft is ok but bing is a distance 2nd behind google search.

Also, if you take this on face value... perhaps you should no longer label Dem as snowflake. Maybe fakeflake or some other corny word. Quite resilient but acting as not.

biff17 likes this.
  5. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

OS you are good at what what you do. You crack me up. You really know how to antagonize this board lol. This was a good one.

Invisible Fan and Roc Paint like this.
  6. Major

Major Member

LOL at SageOpen. They are a pay-for-play publication. You pay $480 and they will "peer-review" your article as "rapidly as possible" and make it available online. It's basically the opposite of sound science.

jboslett, Deckard, Amiga and 2 others like this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

The stress claimed is at the shock of Trump's victory not his term

Both are stupid. On his actual policies our system of checks and balances works. That is what has been reinforced over the past and a half years

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The system of checks and balances has not worked in preventing innocent children from being taken from their parents and the executive branch now not knowing who their parents are and not being able to reunite the children with their parents.

Executive cruelty and incompetence were not prevented by checks and balances.

jboslett, Deckard and edwardc like this.
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

Actually his sell by date has expired, everybody is on to his act.

Who is antagonized?

This is probably his saddest effort, at least he has given up on claiming to be a moderate Democrat.

FranchiseBlade and BaselineFade like this.
  10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Lol I got you. Just trying to laugh to keep from crying. Maybe I’m sick but OS is entertaining to me.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum, what particularly irritates me about this thread, putting aside its absurdity (although you got praise from the far-right, so you must be happy about that), is that I posted a large part of an extensive study of the “hacking” of democracies, including our own (as well as those of our allies and others), by Russia and China. It is published by the very well respected Australian Strategic Policy Institute. ASPI has had contributions, both articles and opinion pieces, by senior members of the Australian government, as well as senior officers in the Royal Australian Military. You couldn’t find the time to respond to the post.

This isn’t “Hot Air.” ASPI is read not only by members of government and their military, but also by influential Australians. Australia, for those unaware, is a very important ally of the United States in the Pacific region. Possibly the most important, since they aren’t constrained by their constitution as the Japanese are, if war were to break out between the US and another country in the region, and they don’t have a hostile power across their border, as South Korea does.

The kicker? I posted it in your thread. You had time to post this nonsense, but not time to respond to a serious post in your own thread. Not a good look, in my opinion. It is now on page 2.

12. Nook

Nook Member

13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of them here relieved their stress in the mueller thread with thousands of posts.

Nook and JuanValdez like this.
  14. edwardc

edwardc Member

This has been a failed administration from the start.

FranchiseBlade and Deckard like this.
  15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I dont defend Trump's actions at the border

However they are crossing illegally and in our checks and balances Trump is the country's top law enforcement officer

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Liberals have behaved pretty disgustingly since they lost. It’s a black mark on our society. Ugly. Yet their arrogance still shines through, unadulterated. This will result in another loss.

Liberals need chaos. They can’t survive without it. They need diversion. They must have division. They must have racism. They claim to be against racism unless it’s directed at white people, then it’s just fine (or doesn’t even count as racism lol).

It hasn’t always been this way.

Astrodome and Pistol Pete like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The manager of the world's largest bureaucracy and commander of the world's most powerful military doesn't understand the difference between life and health insurance.

18. biff17

biff17 Member

Whose mans is this?

Have you been banned for awhile?

You are coming in guns ablazing.

19. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Just reading this board and amazed at how far liberals have fallen. Absolutely amazed.

cml750 and Astrodome like this.
  20. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Who's “mans” is this?
    Wtf does that even mean?