1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Hollins (The Change We Need) vs Mutombo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Dec 25, 2008.

1. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

I've long been a fan of Ryan Hollins potential. I think he's a poor mans Tyson Chandler and would be a perfect fit for our run-and-gun second unit. I like that he FINISHES when close to the basket, as well as that he tries to block all the shots he does. He has great length & moves very well laterally on the defensive end. He can hit a 15 ft mid-range jumper on offense. Furthermore, even with his energy, he doesn't get outside of himself as much as one would assume. The kid has heart and a high basketball IQ. He's also versatile enough to play next to Yao on occasion against long athletic 4's that give us trouble. I would love to have Deke back for insurance but if Yao remains healthy, Deke wont play much -- just like last year. Hollins is a guy that can play w/ and behind Yao. I say get both since we have the roster space now. But if we can't, Morey should go after Hollins. Dorsey (25yrs) & Hollins (24yrs) would be a monster defensive combo off the bench for years to come. Landry (25yrs) & Maarty "next years only rookie" Luenen (23 yrs) etc. will provide the offense off the bench for years to come.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zd4ZUDKedkg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zd4ZUDKedkg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zJo9fsblWKI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zJo9fsblWKI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DRAFT EXPRESS...
    "there are a few things that Hollins must work on to be a top of the rotation player in the NBA. During the competitive workout, Hollins lost focus in a number of different instances. This was something that showed itself a bit the previous day when he had to be reminded on a few occasions on what to do during a given drill. In the competitive workout, Hollins got caught “ball-watching” when the guards had the ball. This caused him to be out of position for a number of rebounds, but also seemed to be a principle factor in his biggest flaw, composure. It is common for players to jaw at each other and be physical, which Hollins certainly was. But, physicality must be used within the context of game play and Hollins allowed Johnson’s constant contact and work to take away his focus and start reacting with inappropriate retaliatory elbows and shoving. "

"Being a former track star, he has very impressive leaping ability, being able to get off the ground quickly and knowing how to use his length well to finish around the hoop if strength is not an issue. At times on offense UCLA would just throw the ball up to him and let him go get it. Hollins is a ferocious dunker when no one challenges his shot, if he has a free lane or path to the basket he can finish with authority. "

"At the next level he either has to extremely define his already decent outside shooting ability, or develop a more effective back to the basket game, be it using a fade away or a short hook shot. "

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Ryan-Hollins-310/

NBADRAFT.NET...
    http://www.nbadraft.net/players/ryan-hollins

2. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

One problem...

He already plays for someone else.

Hell, he started for Charlotte just two weeks ago...

Not gonna happen!

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is this a DaDa man-love thread? Bring back Harris. And and...V-Span. ;)

5. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I liked Hollins as a potential low round pick, over freakin Lior Eliyahu. Though he mighta been kinda Loren Woods/Justin Williams-ish on the team also...one of those guys that should be better than what he is. But also seems to find a niche as journeyman tall guy

Mutombo has actually lowered the standard each year for the backup center. All you have to be is tall and play defense to make the 2nd team work well.

6. Landlord Landry

Hakim Warrick....../back up C discussion.

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

oh hell no i went to ucla while hollins was there and he had to be one of the least enthusiastic players there were. he also did the long jump i believe in track and field. he refused to go in the weight room while at ucla because he felt that if he put on more muscle it would hurt his track career. he never improved at ucla until the last few months of his senior year when i guess he finally realized he was going to make much more money playing basketball. i watched a few bobcats games with him and he still hasnt really improved his game. he is an all right shot blocker and rebounder but he will get pushed around too easily.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

anyone who can block shots and finish at the rim is fine by me.

9. 1individual

1individual Member

Don't want an immature trash talker on our team. It's disrespectful for me.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

he plays w/ a lot of enthusiasm now, i guess, but why does he remind me so much of gerald green....

11. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Just because you play for a team or get a spot start doesn't mean you can't be traded, see Luther Head in a few weeks.

Anyway, problem solved by this upcoming trade which will make Hollins expendable....

Eddy Curry is getting close to returning to action but his stay in New York could be short lived. The Bobcats have expressed interest in acquiring Curry, who reportedly would welcome a change of scenery.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Curry said. "I enjoyed playing for Larry [Brown] when he was here."

The thinking among some NBA executives is that before this season's trade deadline, the Bobcats will send Boris Diaw and Raja Bell to the Knicks in a deal for Curry and possibly David Lee.

Such a move would save the Knicks an additional $2 million in salary cap room for the summer of 2010.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/12/23/2008-12-23_al_harrington_is_planning_an_inside_job.html

12. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

We need more high passion guys on this team. Rafer, Von Wafer, Dorsey and Artest were/are all considered immature trash talkers. I call it heart.

13. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Put Steve Francis in a 7-footers body. You get the heart. You get the talent. /thread

14. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

Is that the Warriors bench getting all excited in the second clip? Man, their season is in the dumps.

His best case projection, according to DraftExpress, is Mikki Moore. That's pretty lousy but wouldn't be bad for a backup role.

What do we have that the Bobcats would want though? I don't think anybody is interested in Head. If reports are true (Solomon from the Chronicle), the Rockets already shopped him around the league and there was no interest.

#14 BrooksBall, Dec 25, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2008
  15. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Luther Head and/or Chuck Hayes, Larry Brown loves solid defenders. Or perhaps we jump in on that Knicks trade as the 3rd team and offer up our 2.6 mil trade exception to help facilitate.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I think our best bet is too see who actually has interest in Head and then see what big men they have available.

17. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

If you search the rosters of the other 29 teams you will see there are only a few potentially available players fit our needs and fit money wise....

Ryan Hollins 7-0 230
    Sean Williams 6-10 235
    Hilton Armstrong 6-11 235
    Channing Frye 6-11 245
    Francisco Elson 7-0 235
    Johan Petro 7-0 260
    Joe Smith 6-10 225
    Cedric Simmons 6-9 235
    Deke 7-2 265

18. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

^^and deke is the only hof of that list. so you pick deke.

19. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

except for the fact he's more of a sf than a true c... :rolleyes:

20. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I read a piece in the Chronicle by Solomon a few weeks ago where he stated that they offered Head to every team in the league and nobody was interested.