1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ryan Hollins (The Change We Need) vs Mutombo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketsTerps, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Landlord Landry

yea, so is Joey Dorsey, Chuck Hayes, and Carl Landry........

2. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

True but this is not about a lifetime achievement award, it's about who can best fit our team NOW. Deke is 100 years old. Deke ALMOST NEVER PLAYED a game or more than 5 min. when Yao was healthy last year. Several of the other guys could steal time at the 4 next to Yao against long 4's that Scola and Landry can't defend like Kevin Garnett, Pau Gasol, Aldridge, Amare, Illgauskas (away from the basket), Rasheed Wallace etc. All the guys we must go through to win a ring. I really hope we can add Deke and one of the long athletic guys i.e. Hollins or Sean Williams.

3. smoove shoez

smoove shoez Member

lol...

4. fattedcalf

fattedcalf Member

he looks like he might be able to help, but he also seems like a trash talkin dumbass too. i'm on the fence a bit

5. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

If all you say is true, sir, then why does it seem like all the real contenders seem to add veteran bigs to their roster to play off the bench?

Boston = P.J. Brown
    San Antonio = Kurt Thomas
    Phoenix = Shaq
    Detroit = Antonio McDyess

All I'm saying is that, if these young guys could actually perform the same way they do on their crap teams as they needed to on contenders, the GMs of contenders would easily have taken the young players with upside over the dinosaurs who are beyond their prime. The truth is that Deke will still probably barely see time when he comes over, even if we try to play Yao less to conserve him for the playoffs and prevent injury. What Deke WILL bring is a temporary inside presence when Yao is in foul trouble (see last Cavs game), ineffective or (God forbid) injured.

Think about it, man

6. shastarocket

^ I'm sorry, PHX doesn't use Shaq in the same manner as the others. But then again, they aren't exactly a contender, lol

7. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

What you fail to realize is that the other teams you mentioned don't have the same needs as us. Boston has Garnett 6-11 pf, Spurs = Tim Duncan 6-11 pf, Suns = Amare 6-10 pf, Detroit = Rasheed Wallace 6-11 pf. Therefore they dont need a long athletic big to defend long athletic bigs. We have NOBODY that can truly defend those guys other than 6-6 Chuck Hayes who may have lost a step w/ added weight. Of the teams you mentioned, they all still have young, long, athletic bigs on their benches.... Patrick Obryant 7-0, Ian Mahinmi 6-11, Brook Lopez 7-0, Amir Johnson 6-10 & Kwame Brown 6-11.

We have NOBODY like that off our bench. As mentioned, I would like to have Deke back mainly as a cheerleader and another vet in the locker room. However, we need a long athletic 4/5 more. Just watching the Lakers vs Celtics game confirmed this more. Can we really expect to beat those teams in the playoffs/finals when Gasol and Garnett would shoot right over 6-6 Chuck Hayes after Scola and Landry get torched???

8. txtodd

txtodd Member

Agreed. It might take trading away one half of Scolandry to pull in the right guy though.

9. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Sure about that?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qcZmuejVnxk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qcZmuejVnxk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. shastarocket

None of those teams have a superstar at center like we do, unless you count Timmy as a center, which he is. Except for SA, they have a superstar at PF and a serviceable center. We do not need a player to play one on one against the big threats you mentioned, we need a presence in the paint (which all of them have) to defend against these guys. If you do bring in some young guy, with ability, you'd have to lessen Scola and Landry's minutes in order for him to actually make a difference. Neither will happen. Plus, that damn experiment already failed (see Swift, Stromile)

I don't know if it is the loss of Deke or what, but it seems like other teams score on us easier in the paint than last yr.

Our team defense will take care of these bigs. We need someone to guard the paint off the bench when Yao isn't there.

I dunno if you are delusional or what but NONE of those guys you mentioned is actually a relevant part of their rotation. Not to mention that O'Bryant, Brown, and Lopez are the furthest thing from athletic. These are the # of min your list of relevant guys actually averages per game:

Kwame Brown and Amir Johnson form the other parts of their amalgamate they have for their PF/C position so they can't possibly count. Just so you know, McDyess avg more min than these two.

Patrick O'Bryant - 4 min 5 sec; in fact the 6-9 Glen Davis gets 16 min a game!

Ian Mahinmi - Injured ankle (4 MONTHS AGO) while playing in the D-LEAGUE so no min this yr, last yr got 3 min 47 sec/ game

Brook Lopez - 11 min/game; mostly b/c Shaq is old and he is their only backup

Bottom line is that most of these guys are on their team's rosters as insurance. Not b/c they have a bright future as possible future starters ( maybe on mediocre teams).

Of the long ATHLETIC bigs you named, Tim Duncan is not one of them. He is a long, great defender and his team plays great team and help defense. You've gotta be joking if you consider Amare a good defender. Long and athletic does not equal good defender (see tonight's game vs. the spurs). Rasheed is a very good defender but is in a similar situation as Timmy in that he has a good help defense (Prince, etc).

We have no room for crap on this team, which is why steve got shipped and why luther might. Plus, we have a young long athletic big in Dorsey. We need Deke for his size, length, ability, leadership, locker room presence and experience.

11. JujuxG

JujuxG Member

if what u said its true, i would pass...

12. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

You completely missed the point and you don't know what the hell your talking about. I never said those young guys were a part of the regular rotation. If you comprehend better you would know I had already stated those teams already have athletic big men starters (so there would be no need for another developing big to log real quality time). I listed them to show the poster that those teams not only have/had the PJ Brown older types but other tall young athletic bigs that we don't have that.

In addition, I didn't comment at all before about Amare being a great defender. However, Amare's lack of defense is the main reason the Suns can't win it all. That's why they added an athletic 7-0 Robin Lopez -- to help w/ low post defense. Why would we want to have the same liabilty i.e Scola/Landry's lack of defense in crunch time on Gasol, Garnett, Duncan etc.

The Big We Really Need
    DEKE NEVER PLAYED when Yao was healthy. We have basically the same big-man rotation last year as we do now. The difference defensively you notice is Scola and Landry play more minutes. Plus, Chuck Hayes was much more effective last year and started part of the time. This year, Chuck gained weight and is not as defined or quick. To act as if Deke a year older will solve the problem is crazy. Even Daryl Morey has said SEVERAL TIMES on Radio 610 week after week.."Deke WON'T PLAY AT ALL IF YAO'S HEALTHY -- just like last year". What good is the experience if he can't get on the court??? We need a guy that can play w/ Yao and behind him.

Next point, Scola and Landry's minutes should lessen if they are get torched by elite pf's. Every time it happens we send in 6-6 Chuck Hayes anyway -- check the game log. Chuck only plays when those guys can't defend... see Al Jefferson (at times), LaMarcus Aldridge, Zach Randolph, Gasol, Garnett etc. The problem is Chuck's tactics are no longer a surprise and folks shoot over him. And he doesn't appear to be as quick to spots -- less charges taken.

In regards to what defines "athletic", I will refer you to ESPN's John Hollinger's NBA scouting reports address your claim that Robin Lopez, Amir Johnson, Kwame Brown, Patrick O'Bryant, and Ian Mahinmi are not considered athletic. Every last one of those guys are/were described as athletic by NBA experts. In addition, check out DraftExpress or NBADraftnet.

Finally, your an idiot if you think Dorsey is a "long big". The dude is a 6-7 center. Stromile Swift didn't work because he has a low basketball IQ and JVG could not work w/ a guy like that. Ryan Hollins has a very high BB IQ and work ethic so do your homework before comparing talent. Stromile compares more to Sean Williams. But I'm not conviced Rick Adelman couldn't be successful w/ Sean Williams. Rick's system allows players freedom that JVG's didn't and Keon Clark was great for Adelman.

13. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

What he said may have been true several years ago but Hollins is developing nicely, just as his college coach predicted...

"I'm elated for Ryan and excited for his new NBA career with the Charlotte Bobcats," said Bruin head coach Ben Howland. "He had an exceptional finish to his senior season, helping to lead us to the NCAA Final and being named the Most Outstanding Player at the Oakland Region. I am confident he will continue to build on this momentum. He's only 21 years old (won't be 22 until Oct. 10), extremely bright, with a great work ethic. There's no question his best basketball days are ahead of him. I predict Ryan will have a long and productive career as a professional basketball player."

http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/062906aab.html

Could you talk about Ryan (Hollins), your other big guys.

COACH Ben Howland: First of all, we hope Ryan is going to be okay, number one. Number two, Ryan has been playing the best basketball of his career here the last seven, eight games of our season, has really helped us as a team be able to get to where we are right now. Without Ryan Hollins' productivity, both at the end of the season, the last few league games, the conference tournament, now the four NCAA tournament games, including being regional MVP in Oakland, we would not be here obviously. We need Ryan Hollins to continue what he's been doing. He's been rebounding well, scoring, being down low. He's so smart, so intelligent.

Ryan Hollins' greatest attribute is how smart he is. He's very bright. His best basketball is his future. He's a 21-year-old senior who doesn't turn 22 until October 10th, '06, this year. I mean, I had players at Pitt that were playing at 25, which is always an advantage. At 24 years old, when you're a man physically and mentally, it's always advantageous to be older. You just get better.

http://uclabruins.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/033106aaa.html

14. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

Your former head coach seems to have a different impression ^^^. That was years ago man. I hope we all change in the years since college. What about playing Hollins against fellow quick, tall, long, athletic 4/5's and playing Deke (if signed) Dorsey or Hayes against the beefy ones? We could strictly use Hollins for his energy and ability to defend bigs away from the hoop.

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Might be fine as a project but seems raw to contribute now.

Bobcats signed Juwan Howard instead of giving him big minutes. I mean, c'mon.

16. shastarocket

alright rocketsterp, its the holidays and i don't want any beef w/ a fellow bbser (this seemed to be getting too heated). So lets just agree to disagree. Whatever happens w/ this kid, i hope its good. He seems like he'll have a bright in the NBA and he'll undoubtedly be an asset to any team. I'm passionate about the rox, as are you. I respect your opinion, but i hope you never become GM ;)

17. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Mutombo is such a good defender he made it more difficult for opponents to score in the paint even in games where he never played. You can see players go to the rim with confidence now because they don't have to look over their shoulder down to the end of the Rockets bench to make sure Deke isn't going to take his giant hand and swat away their shot!

Oh no I just thought of something awful. Can you imagine if Mutombo signed with Memphis? They already screwed Morey and got the Rockets playoff secret weapon, All Star, future Hall of Fame PG Francis. If they add Mutombo to their starting lineup like they will Francis then you can pretty much just pack it in because the Grizzlies will win the Championship.

Morey!!! Learn from the Bonzi Wells mistake. You let him go and now he is the best player in the league (in China). Soon you will learn that letting Franchise go was even more insane. Steve will retire after winning the Championship this season and while he is still the best in the game (like Jordan did the first time he retired).

Don't let Deke get away when he still has at least 3 more Defensive Player of the Year awards in him.

18. RocketsTerps

RocketsTerps Member

In the spirit of the holiday season I won't respond in kind to your final parting jab :)

We will see how good a GM I'd be when/if Darryl trades for a tall quick young athletic big before the deadline -- even if we also sign Deke. Remember where you heard your first Hollins only fan. ;)

19. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Sounds somewhat like Justin Williams so far,showed promise with the Kings and then fell down. Hope he can do better.

20. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

except for the fact that they aren't.

hayes, landry and dorsey are undersized post players.

carl is 6-9, 250. chuck waggon is 6-6, 250. dorsey is 6-8, 270.

hakim warrick is 6-9, 220.

the bottom line: if you really think hakim warrick can play backup center you just don't know what you're talking about. not only does he play much more like a sf than any other player you just named, no, he also has the body of a sf (unlike hayes, landry or dorsey). there is a major difference between being undersized and playing totally out of position.