1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor CP3 may choose Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ballplayer, May 23, 2017.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Hey, LeBron always said he wanted to bring a championship to the Land. Everyone thought he meant Cleveland, but maybe he means La La Land? Haha yeah right.

Melo might thrive under Doc, the question is how do they get that done? Plus, any deal would probably mean JJ Reddick is out too.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

At this point i don't think they can tbh..the only somehow interesting piece they had to trade was Reddick and he's gone, i don't see a sign & trade happening cause i don't see Reddick having interest in going to the Knicks so...unless the Knicks are literally ok with dumping Melo for trash (i.e. Rivers, Crawford and a 2019 2nd rounder) it's not going to happen imo.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. Outlier

Outlier Member

This is all a joke to get the Spurs to gut their team like the Mavs did for Jordan.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Definitely agree this is a CP3 leverage play. After what happened with DJ...the Clips won't take things lightly. CP3 just covering his bases to put pressure on the Clips to give him the FIVE YEAR MAX. He will get it.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

This is starting to remind me about LMA, there were rumors about him going to SA months before free agency, and while there were interviews where he said he was going to stay and other rumors saying he was going to sign the 1+1 to get the 10 year vet max the year after, in the end he left.

There are a lot of great players available to get a huge max this summer, very interesting to see if/how many of them will renounce money to be in a better team.

7. Caesar

Caesar Member

It's so ridiculous though. Why try and build a team to contend with the Warriors in the west + more good teams when you can just deal with the CAVS and a bunch of bums out East? It really pisses me off. Were nearing 2 decades of the East being complete garbage.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  8. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

If CP3 goes to S.A. it would make our division harder. Blake would probably leave as well, nothing to stay for. Would they go as a team? Do we want Blake? He is injury prone..not good. If the price is rite, he is still talented. If they both left Clippers are done for near future.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

You offer Blake max money, manage his minutes, and pray daily. The same was said about Steph. If Blake calls, you pick up the phone in your sexiest voice if you're the Rockets.

That being said, if CP3 leaves, I don't see Blake leaving. I don't think the Clippers lose all their top tier stars. They will lose Reddick, Mbahp, and either CP3 or Blake. Deandre is appealing and attractive enough to make one stay. I think that one will be CP3.

Pen15clubber likes this.
  10. basketballholic

The Spurs aren't magically disappearing. They'll be back next season with a better team than this one.

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'll be shocked if the Spurs land Paul, more for the money than the peccadilloes of SA, but I can see him wanting to play for Pop.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...oring-free-agent-run-clippers-star-chris-paul

The San Antonio Spurs are exploring the feasibility of making a free-agent run at All-Star point guard Chris Paul, league sources told ESPN.

Sources say the LA Clippers, meanwhile, regard the threat of San Antonio signing away Paul as a legitimate concern, even though the Spurs, at present, have virtually no salary-cap flexibility.

The depth San Antonio would have to sacrifice to afford a top-dollar offer for Paul undeniably poses a challenge to Spurs management. But the prospect of adding Paul to the frontcourt duo of Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge could potentially create a star trio that closes the gap on the Golden State Warriors, who capitalized on an ankle injury Leonard aggravated in Game 1 of the Western Conference finals and went on to complete a 4-0 series sweep of Gregg Popovich and his 61-win team.

The Clippers are widely regarded as strong favorites to retain both Paul and fellow free agent-to-be Blake Griffin when they hit the open market July 1, given their financial advantages over competing teams in trying to sign them. But the Clippers' nagging inability to dodge injuries and reach the conference finals even once in Paul's five seasons there has given interested suitors such as San Antonio hope that he will strongly consider external interest.

The Clippers will enter free agency knowing they can outbid any suitor for Paul. At 32, Paul is eligible for a five-year deal worth an estimated $205 million from Clippers owner Steve Ballmer this summer, thanks in part to rule changes in the NBA's new labor pact that are more favorable to stars in Paul's age bracket.

The most the Spurs can offer, by contrast, is a four-year pact worth just over $152 million, but it appears San Antonio would have to make a number of roster ‎moves to create the needed cap space to offer a max deal to Paul.

Even if the Spurs renounce the rights to looming free agents Manu Ginobili, Patty Mills and Jonathon Simmons as well as potential free agents Dewayne Dedmon and David Lee, they would still face complicated decisions on San Antonio mainstay Tony Parker and possibly both Pau Gasol and Danny Green.

It is unclear how soon Parker, 35, will be able to play again after suffering a ruptured quadriceps tendon in his left leg during the second round of the playoffs. Releasing Parker via the waive-and-stretch provision or trying to trade him are among the unfriendly options San Antonio would be forced to consider to create the requisite cap space for a run at Paul and presumably any other top free-agent guard, such as Jrue Holiday, Kyle Lowry or former Spur George Hill.

The Spurs' cap picture would look decidedly more favorable if former All-Star big man Pau Gasol decides to decline his $16.2 million player option for next season. But if Gasol opts to play out his current contract, San Antonio would probably have to explore the trade market for Gasol and/or Green, depending on what happens with Parker and the team's other free agents.

Another option for San Antonio is exploring the trade market for Aldridge after he had an up-and-down season. San Antonio's free-agent prize from the summer of 2015, Aldridge has the face-up skills offensively that appear to mesh well with Paul's pick-and-roll prowess.

‎The Spurs and Clippers would also naturally have the ability to engage in sign-and-trade talks if Paul were to decide he wants to continue his career in South Texas as opposed to Hollywood. Yet it should be noted that Paul, in a sign-and-trade scenario, could not get the five-year, $205 million deal; such a swap would merely allow San Antonio to clear cap space by sending assets back to the Clippers in exchange for Paul.​

Deckard and Vivi like this.
  13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

This is how bbhollic pads his record of predictions. Of course an NBA team is not going to vanish? So then he says a few things like this and when he makes a claim like spencer dinwiddie is better than pat bev he still has a decent W/L ratio

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I'm gonna be so pissed off when this happens...

15. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

That's also on us though. We could have been the Warriors. We're just constantly trying to play catchup because we refuse to build through the draft, develop draft picks and not go over the cap. We're constantly trying to underpay and we end up with... inconsistent damaged players and coaches who have no idea what they are doing. Diamonds in the rough and one dimensional players are what we constantly are looking for. We're constantly trying to remain semi competitive so we can sell tickets every year. That's on our owners.... if we had not worried about the Dragic, Lowry, Ariza scola era of trying to make it to the playoffs and remain in the 9th seed all those years we might have been a very scary team...

Caesar likes this.
  16. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

I'm just curious..have the Spurs ever successfully recruited an All-Star and have that All-Star play up to expectation?

Because it seems they are better at turning potential talent into All-Stars than at recruiting All-Stars.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

I know the Clippers are offering him a lot of money to stay but the reality is the LA Clippers' chances of contention are now basically zero. They can't even beat the Rockets who are a 2nd tier team not even talking about elite teams like Cavs, GSW and SaS. If Chris Paul was just an ordinary all star then yeah, don't walk away from the money since nobody will remember guys like Baron Davis, Melo, Elton Brand etc. in a couple of years anyway. But Paul is more than that he has been seen as the best PG for most of his career, if he ends up his career without a ring he's throwing away his legacy, I mean people already see him as a massive choker who couldn't get the job done and that rep will be cemented if he ends his career on a whimper.

It might hurt his career moving forward once he does retire from basketball, he is now getting $$$ from endorsements but I bet all that money will dry up if he ends his career without a ring, what brands do Nash endorse currently? He has none and that's because once he retired as a non-champion his brand value became zero, people will look at what he endorse and say that's a loser or some other ****.

I think him going to the Spurs will be good for the NBA, right now we only have GSW and Cavs who are a tier above the rest. The Clippers breaking up will be good as it will strengthen the Spurs as well as the other teams that will benefit from having De Andre Jordan and Blake Griffin.

Richie_Rich and Vivi like this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

LMA? Gasol?
    They just didn't have capspace to sign big names before since TD, Parker and Ginobili were making lots of bank.

19. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Paul needs to take his ass East.

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Spurs being leveraged to ensure The Clips follow through on the full 5 year super max. Follow the money.