1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumor CP3 may choose Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ballplayer, May 23, 2017.

1. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

And the Rockets destroyed the Spurs by 30 points in Game 1. Adjustments can be and usually are made. Golden State was never going to lose this series to the Spurs, with or without Kawhi.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you say so but that doesn't mean the spurs weren't an actual threat when full health. for someone that said this is all conjecture, you sure made a firm statement without regards

3. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Fair points
    Its nice to be Spurs GM for a moment.
    Simmons is UFA. It will be hard to keep him
    Yes we move Hakeem, but to a contender and we was in a rebuiding mode, still hard to understand.
    Yes maybe they can move Pau with a sweeter and Green for something.
    Agree with Murray, he is good

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think Simmons is restricted in fact, and with a very low cap hold i guess...

EDIT: yup, restricted with 1.7M cap holds so, in theory they can trade Green too and gain 9/10M more in cap space to sign someone, and match or sign Simmons after that. Don't think they're going to trade Green but who knows...

#64 Vivi, May 24, 2017
    Last edited: May 24, 2017
    Ming The King likes this.
  5. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

I think neither GSW, nor Spurs wants him on their team, his ball dominating style just doesn't fit with them.

6. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

It's a tossup.

Baywatchers or Weight Watchers?

West Coast, son or belt busting?

Beaches and waves or beached whales?

Hot bods and botox or Pop's pockmarks?

Brazzers or La Raza?

Ideal climate or jort cellulite?

Outdoor activities or sewer river disease?

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Conjecture in terms of Chris Paul making the Spurs good enough to beat the Warriors. I have no problem making a firm statement about THIS year's Spurs team vs. Golden State. They just weren't good enough, and I think the proof is in the results.

8. Major

Major Member

Why? The players get a set percentage of revenues at the end of the day, regardless of how it's distributed. If CP3 takes less money, it just means other players get more money. It's not like the owners end up better off.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

And my whole point was the Spurs with kawhi was a real threat and they absolutely were. The results were based on them without him and I've already addressed that.

basketballholic likes this.
  10. RocketsTruth

RocketsTruth Member

zachary k hubbard predicted this weeks ago

11. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I'm not sure if CP3 would be a good fit for SA and Popovich. I think he remains with LAC and takes the big money. The Clippers need to explore their options for Griffin and/or Jordan. As for the Spurs, they might be better off just continuing to develop Murray to be their future starting PG...I think he could soon be pretty damn good for them. SA needs to toughen up their frontcourt...Aldridge is not a good fit there (he would be a good fit for their Rockets though) and Gasol lately looks more washed up than even Ginobili.

As long as Golden State keeps their core nucleus together and reasonably healthy, the only thing I see seriously competing with them is the formation of another "superteam" elsewhere.

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If he's smart he'll move to the state tax free zone of TX. The only thing that might stop him is his family and how much they are willing to uproot their lives. That ring is tempting to chase but he's a father and husband first and foremost. Cp3 would do great with Pop's supervision and he'd be the kind of leader that team needs to get over Golden State. Since Duncan retired it has been pretty obvious that there is no alpha dog on that roster. Cp3 would be just that.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Those State Farm commercials with Deandre are gonna get real weird real fast if he does leave.

I still think of the two, Blake is the one who bolts. I think for his brand, LA is just better for CP3.

basketballholic likes this.
  14. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul makes every team better, he is that good.

I wish we could get him, Harden at PG be damned.

Kendrick Lamar likes this.
  15. Pizza_Da_Hut

I don't think he makes Harden better. He might make the Rockets better, definitely gives them more diversity in terms of bringing the ball up, but I'm not sure how those two would co-exist.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

you realize James Harden has done way more in his career with way less right? The ONLY thing Chris Paul does is make sure his team doesn't make a conference final

Chris Paul needs to go somewhere where he can take a backseat to a winner. Pop might be the guy to keep his ego in check. I don't see him deferring to another player, which is why he hasn't accomplished anything in his career.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  17. basketballholic

Cali's effective tax rate is over 13% for high income earners.

This is really a leverage play by Paul to get what he wants out of the Clippers and control the organization. Paul wants the money, the ball, and the choice of teammates and coach. He doesn't want to play with Blake any longer. So it's going to get sticky this summer. Watch for PJax to try to woo Blake early in July with the Clips allegedly "waiting on Paul" to agree to a deal.

Just remember, if Paul doesn't get everything he wants he could force his way to the Spurs or elsewhere.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

In the end if Harden is willing to move his ass without the ball Chris Paul would definitely make him better, but if he's not willing to do it eh...

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Not sure if this is inside info or conjecture, but regardless that's the sense I get from an outsider looking in. I think a fresh start for Blake also wouldn't be bad.

I mean, the clippers had to look into deals when Blake punched that trainer, they have to have a plan for when/if he leaves. Right?

20. basketballholic

Dunno about that. I know Paul doesn't want him. Paul wants a three ball shooter that will play some D. LOL. (Doesn't exactly describe Melo, does it?)