1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Royals deal Kelvin Herrera to Washington for nothing

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Senator, Jun 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I’m starting to see an annoying sense of entitlement amongst supposed long time astros fans this year.

Not sure how that would add to the enjoyment of these games in any way... but certainly piles on the misery in lossss.

tellitlikeitis and kaleidosky like this.
  2. Major

Major Member

Yes, in his whole 2 innings that he's pitched for them.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I bet we could get a boat load of prospects for Altuve and Verlander? Blow this thing up and start over, maybe this time we can come up with an elite reliever

4. Senator

Senator Member

I've seen 4 intentional seasons of being the worst, most unwatchable team in baseball, so I do feel entitled to results. Luhnow has had a lot to work with.

Dont expect altuve to hit 25 home runs each year or Correa to be arod, but I expect the closer for a title team not to be one of the worst in mlb. I'll be reminding ya'll every day until moves are made.

5. Buck Turgidson

No, you won't be.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The Astros closer is 11-11 in save opportunities and has yet to allow a run in those 11 saves. He just seems really sketchy when coming into a tie game.

7. Senator

Senator Member

I D O N T C A R E. Eeking out saves with 2 runners on base and no control the second the pressure is on is a recipe for disaster. The Yankees, red sox and Indians will prey on this - and already have performed well against a weak bullpen.

You don't have to trade tucker,alvarez or Whitley to get a high quality closer. The Astros have enough depth where that decision doesn't need to be made. Please stop pretending like Giles will "be alright". Or harris "was find a few years ago". Or Smith "will earn his money eventually." They have consistently failed the cajones test.

8. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

You’re too dumb for words. Off to ignore list for you.

lnchan likes this.
  9. prospecthugger

So how does a weak pen be 2nd in the MLB in ERA?

10. HTown2017Champs

ERA does not tell the whole story. It's failed many times at key moments. Like that game Smith choked against the Angels. Or Harris against the Yankees. Or Giles (and everybody except Smith) in Cleveland. Or Harris against the Red Sox. And I've probably missed one or two other examples.

11. prospecthugger

Yeah, ERA isn't very predictive, FIP and xFIP are much better, which put the Astros #1, but I was trying to speak his language. Every team in baseball has had their reliever fail at times, you just remember the Astros more because you watch Astros games.

12. The Beard

You could do that for every team in baseball

Any reliever we could trade for, fans would want removed from the closers role the first save he blew

Herrera got ripped today also, guess that makes it a bad trade for the Nats lol

13. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our pen had 6 innings, 1 hit, 0 BBs, and 7 Ks, in a game that was 1 run or tied the entire time they were in. They faced the minimum. Is that good?

raining threes likes this.
  14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Yep..the Astros bullpen has had a handful of big time failures. Welcome to the major leagues. For the most part those failures have been one person failing and not multiple relievers except for the Cleveland disaster and one other game. Bullpens will fail. Starters will fail. Hitters will fail. If folks that watch baseball expect players to never fail, then they should not watch baseball.

raining threes likes this.
  15. Major

Major Member

Or at least until you're banned again and come up with yet another screen name.

His ERA in Washington is now 6.00 - worse than every pitcher for the Astros.

dmoneybangbang and marks0223 like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros will try to get a high impact reliever by the deadline. They supposedly have spoken to teams with elite pen arms under longer term control (Reds/A’s).

17. The Beard

And that’s great

Fact is those teams don’t have anyone significantly better than what we can already run out there

They seem better, because even they fail no one from CF is watching

I’m not against adding another great arm to the pen, but we have an elite pen now....and when the playoffs roll around Charlie or Lance can close

raining threes and Major like this.
  18. The Beard

That’s the type of pen we have, many just don’t understand baseball

19. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

We have a baseball version of basketballholic here...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.