1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rox:Heat] The last 18 seconds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DXtreme, Nov 13, 2012.

1. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

Thats exactly what happened. On the telecast you could see Sampson call the guys back in for a drawn out play. And Parsons was yelling for Harden to get in on the huddle, as they were walking back to start the play the telecast showed Parsons going over the play with Harden showing him with a hand motion of the screen.

My take on it. Harden heard but didn't listen. Why wouldnt you give it to the guy with the hot hands? Cause Harden wanted to be the Hero. He took 2 contested threes down the stretch. Harden lost the game for the Rockets.

2. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

biggest mistake morey made was tell harden he would be da man.....he's only doing what he was told and desperately trying to live up to it.....breaks my heart saying this cuz we grew up in the same neigborhood and went to the same high school...I was a fan from his highschool days to OKC, but since he became a Rocket...he forgot how to play real bball.

3. Coban Hutton

Coban Hutton Member

You mean 7 games ago? LOL

4. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Harden did what any franchise player is suppose to do/wants to do, take the last shot. Even if the play was drawn up for someone else, I have no problem with Harden rewriting the script on his own. I wanna see what 80 million gets us.

Not trying to read into it much, but I think Harden seems more willing to pass to Parsons for crucial shots than Lin.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

actually the biggest mistake happened just prior to the last 18 seconds when Houston's best rebounder, Omer Asik, was sitting on the bench while Wade missed his free throw and Miami swooped in for the rebound, getting a second chance opportunity; which they ultimately capitalized on. That was the difference in the game.

6. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

It seems like Harden's got some ego there, not a good sign, hope Morey have a nice lil talk with him

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why were Parsons and Patterson the C/PF while Wade was shooting FTs? Now wonder we didn't get the rebound.

8. BigShotBob

BigShotBob Member

IM Not so sure anyone would have gotten the rebound considering the direction the ball bounced.

9. DXtreme

DXtreme Member

If Omer was in and standing where parsons was the Rebound would be ours.

10. Alex L.

Alex L. Contributing Member

Umm... I thought Morey was the one who put it in Harden's head...

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We'll never know, but no excuse for Asik not being in there. Kelvin Sampson had poor substitution judgement there. When you are looking for a critical rebound, you can't leave your best rebounder on the bench.

12. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

Who cares we have a cash cow ... right Les?

13. Second_Cousin

Second_Cousin Member

We thought Lin escaped NY and Melo ball. Now we have Harden who is playing Hero ball even worse. That's just simply a symptom of black players' lack of respect for Lin's game. Ppat refusing to set a pick for Lin, this is the kind of stuff that happens when players don't want Lin to succeed, even his own teammates. You think Harden is going to pass the ball to Lin ever again, after that air ball?

14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

[​IMG]

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Sorry I disagree. I hate this whole he did what a franchise player was supposed to do nonsense. If that is going to be his mentality down the stretch we are going to lose A LOT of games. I have a huge problem if Harden rewrote the script on his own (although it is clear that the play was not executed well). I don't like hero ball don't care who it is, & the ball in the final possession should ALWAYS go to the open man. I don't care if that is Parsons for a brick or Lin for an airball. I would rather those two things happen than Harden chuck something up while getting eating by LBJ, IGGY or Tony Allen.

And Harden better get comfortable passing to his teammates because because he can't do it all by himself & Lin needs to get more touches so he can get out of this shooting slump it is kind of annoying watch him not touch the ball for four consecutive possessions & then being forced to chuck up a hail mary.

16. JJ23

JJ23 Rookie

I just noticed something....go back and look at delphino the during the last 7 seconds....he gets free of the screen and then harden shoots it....after the shot, delphino stands there dumbfounded for a couple seconds and stares at harden. ROFL

17. gtmkcp

gtmkcp Member

It's cost us a win with Portland and possibly a tie with the Heat. Set plays are done to give the most chance of success. Harden didn't seem to even try, but seemed determined to take the shot no matter what. I do blame management for giving Harden a big head if this is the case.

18. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

the problem is/was that when we got the lead late in the game, we started winding down the clock and using in ISO rather than keep running our offense which had brought is back into the game. clock management is not the same as it is in football. in football, good clock management is extremely important, and if you're on top than you the clock is in your favor. not so in this game.

why stop what was working in the first place? it's not like we were playing defense at the end of the game, both teams were going bucket for bucket, so what we thought we were just gonna run the clock out, and hope the heat were gonna miss buckets on the other end?

this game really pissed me off. reminded me of why I stopped watching the NBA for a while last season. players like D-whistle and LeBron can get to the line anytime they want, & Lin can't even hit an open shot.

19. Arthurprescott2

If Harden is taking the final shot, could we AT LEAST have someone set a screen for him? That we get at least the semblance of a decent shot as opposed to trying to shoot over LBJ or Boshasaurus.

20. D12Eminem

D12Eminem Member

I watched the same feed at end of game, had Houston feed most of game ....and yea, that was the game, we can blame the "iso harden" play to "tie" as the bad play, but here down one we have a wide open
    3 after good moving of the ball, and all of a sudden boom Lin is wide open prob.
    not exactly expecting it that soon, and I bet just tried to measure it,
    Obv. coming well short, it was an important shot, and actually ended up being
    a good play by the Heat on D....left a not so great shooter espesh from 3 right now open, it was Lin's chance to shine, after last yr. & the Heat pouring it on him, in a "welcome to the L boy" type of fashion...

My view on Lin, he took the open shot, it was wide open...so don't usually pass those up, but it was early in the 18 sec. Of clock, he could have driven to the hoop, and either look for an "and1/foulshots" opportunity, or dished it probably to the corner for a wide open shot bc the D prob. Would have all callopsed....but that's armchair next day stuff....so really he was open I don't mind the shot, even for an ok shooter, who IS NOT shooting well, it was there, but so was the drive, and even then if he decided to not go in all the way probably could have stopped n popped for a 12-18 footer...depending on the close out that would have happened, but they would have prob. Def were thinking own the paint...

On a side note, Lin has some great gambles, and steals that amount for the Rox, but he hasn't been playing as great of D, as his steal numbers insist...in fact i thought "the black hole" -tony D played GREAT, he played his role, came in played good D, hit a couple nice shots, one a nice floater....but it was TD, and the bench that I thought kept up the intensity along with Parsons, but they grinded out there while Harden, and Lin got rest in the 2nd half...tough game to lose, after we finally grabbed the lead, and had it....

Other side note, PP has at times has had some horrible defensive lapses, one of which Harden scolded him, and PP I think ended up right there after grabbed a loose ball/or tipped offensive rebound, grabbed it, and layed it up n in, big play, from both sides the def. lapse, to the great hustle, and put back on O....on the late LBJ layup to put them up 1, I think that was on him as well...

Good game though....and I guess the right shot by Lin, he was open. He played solid though, I'd say tonight, didn't play great, but he def. showed some promise, maybe Lin still doesn't have his full legs under hm yet from that surgery...maybe