1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rox:Heat] The last 18 seconds

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DXtreme, Nov 13, 2012.

1. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

a huge mistake was committed by the coach. when he missed first shot, asik should be on court for 2nd one to secure the rb. by that time, we were down by 1. if wade had made 2nd, it would have been 2-point game. since he missed 2nd one, asik should be able to get the rb instead bosh and we would be down only 1 point. we have had tons time to make one of many options, either 2 pt, 3 pt or drew a foul.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Who did you want ot take the last shot? LIN:rolleyes: we saw what he was going to do, from the shot he took before. The game was lost through PP not getting the rebound and LIN shooting an Air ball.

3. roxxy

roxxy Member

LOL if it is dependent on Lin making 3's they don't need a new PG they need a SG because Harden is now the PG. They need Courtney Lee to be honest. This is all so hilarious to me we are making the inferior playmaker & the superior shooter the PG & making the better playmaker & inferior shooter Ray Allen. Like I can't even understand. :confused:

4. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

don't forget he made a last 3pt shot last year against lakers.

missing or making is very common for a player. it doesn't matter it is airball or not. he was wide open. as a player in this situation, he has to shoot. if he didn't instead of passing, it would be his fault.

5. Arthurprescott2

Mind-boggling really. Lin would be better utilized if he came off the bench and Delfino was put in the starting line-up the way they're playing right now. Then at least he wouldn't be handcuffed.

6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah Parsons would not have had much time, the passes would have been quick too just for Parsons to have that much time and then he's also jacking up a catch and shoot shot whereas at least Harden measured the shot and it literally just hit off rim.

Parsons does not have a good look and is across the court.

Parsons defender was also watching him the entire time, which is why he was not wide open because his defender is watching him. If they passed the ball to him his defender would have been closed the ground. In fact I'm sure the moment Lin gets the ball Parsons defender would have then played him tighter forcing Lin to make the tough decision that Harden had to make.

Either way, rewatching the last play over and over again it's not as egregious as some are trying to make it out to be.

That Harden played heroball, ignored coaches orders, and did what he wanted.

It's more like Harden saw that the play that was drawn up wasn't going to work and saw that there was now, no 4 seconds...it's time to put a shot up. He even said this after the game that what he did wasn't designed but the original play broke. Hey if this was 24 second normal possession than yeah, but it was a 7 second possession, if execution is not perfect for the first play then the improvised play is usually going to be your best player chucking up a shot. See this all the time in the NBA if not every night.

7. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

This is the problem right here. You don't think Lin is a good player, that's a presumption you've made before he's really had a chance to play as a PG. The coaching staff seems to have the same attitude.

I don't see any logic whatsover in asking Lin to be a different player to what he is. He is a PG not a SG and trying to turn him into one is never going to work. Lin is the best playmaker on the team, not Harden. Harden is a good playmaker and the best scorer on the team.

If you utilise both players properly they can BOTH flourish and the team will do much better as a result. Or you can play heroball with Harden, but then trade Lin and pick up a 3 point shooter instead.

It's utterly ridiculous to say that Lin should turn into Ray Allen. You might as well say that Asik needs to turn into PF. He's not, he's a centre and that's what he'll always be. Your bias against Lin is blinding you to some very obvious and basic basketball truths.

8. Jetfuel

Jetfuel Member

He would still be handcuffed. The coaches have more faith in Tony Douglas running the offense than Lin.

I find it sad how this kind of prejudice follows Lin around wherever he goes. I wonder, if when Morey had signed Lin, they had told him this was going to be his role on the team, if he would have agreed to come here. But he's too nice of a guy to create a stink about it.

He's trying to just do his best and do what the coaches tell him even if it's a bad idea.

9. kinein

kinein Member

Have you looked at Hardens shooting numbers over the last 7 games?

I would have wanted Parsons to shoot it that night or Delfino

10. kinein

kinein Member

Although I would rather Lin had a second chance. No one airballs twice in a row.

11. kinein

kinein Member

They would just shift to double teaming Harden at half court without the threat of Lin and.visa versa.

12. Precision340

Precision340 Member

ppat was out of position and didn't even get a chance to set a pick on bosh.. that's why harden had to take the shot.. no way was parsons getting a clean look.. bosh had a clear path to where parsons was suppose to be in the corner.. harden did the right thing imo.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

really bro? really? you want Parsons taking the last second shot over Harden?

i don't even know where to begin with that. 3pt shooting is actually one of the weakest parts of Parsons' game.

14. kinein

kinein Member

Have you played competitive basketball at any level? I'm not being sarcastic. I want to remind you that when someone is feeling it. The hoop is ten feet wide.

Parsons 5 for 10 beyond the Arc.

James Harden 1 for 6.

Jeremy Lin 2 for 6

Hell I'd let morris do it too 2 for 3.

Its pure basketball. Someone's on fire you work it to them. A bad shooting night doesn't get erased just be because you have 7 seconds on the clock.

15. ths balla

ths balla Member

still cant believe Asik wasnt in the game while Wade was shooting free throws

16. kinein

kinein Member

If I'm managing a multinational corporation and someone tells me I have a business unit with and there are two options one that is 50% and the other is 1/6. I take the 50% everytime.

17. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Mental error by Sampson. Maybe he was somewhat flustered by being called upon to be the head coach last night.

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You'd make you decision based purely on what has happened in the past 48 minutes, rather than the overall?

If the guy was on fire like Delfino at the end of the 1st game, I'm with you, but in this case, I want Harden taking the shot, unless somebody has an open look and he doesn't.

19. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah at the same time though...clutch is clutch.

I've seen guys like Kobe and Lebron brick for most of the game then just hit the big shots when the team needs it.

Harden has proved to be clutch in his young career, even in the playoffs against the Spurs. It wasn't that horrible.

20. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

If Harden passed the ball to Lin at 5.2 seconds, Lin could have made the pass to Parsons.

Parsons was ready to shoot at the 2.8 mark, that is more than two seconds differential.

If Harden passed the ball to Lin at 5.2 seconds, let say the pass took one second the most, they could still have 4.2 seconds left to initiate the game plan. Which was for Parsons to take the shot.

At the 4.2 mark, Lin still have some time to play with the ball and pass it to Parsons.

At the 2.8 mark, Parsons could have taken the shot.

Lin was between Harden and Parsons.

He could easily dish the ball to Harden.

Also, Parsons does have a good look to take the shot.

[​IMG]

Parsons did it before.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/cP0ToApjpWY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

He in-bounded the ball and then the ball was passed to him.

Even though his defender was on him, he still made the clutch shot.

I rather see the play executed than him chunking the contested shot.