1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offer Barry 2 year contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Who's out there? Anyone know?

2. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Actually my second reaction to Yao's injury is Barry won't sign with us now for sure. At least Scola will have a chance at second place now.

3. bratna8

bratna8 Member

OK.....so what the ***** is up with his decision. I know he already said no to the Rockets.....so who is he signing with?

4. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

Morey said during the Wizards game that they are still going after Barry, so I guess we are still in the hunt despite the 610 report.

5. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

we just signed bobby jones. so if we get barrry. we cut jones/

6. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Yes, but didn't they show him receiving a call on his cell right after that. He looked disappointed. That was probably Barry's agent calling with the let down.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

It's down to Suns and Spurs. Spurs are offering a third year.

8. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

This seems to confirm this....

http://www.broadbandnewsnet.com/newsmanager/anmviewer.asp?a=4484&z=1

I don't know why he would go to the Suns after that miserable showing against Detroit. They have yet to prove that they can be consistently effective with Shaq as a major cog. If we are in fact out of the race for him, I hope that we make a run at Justin Williams.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Wow 3yrs. Damn teams got desperate and a little crazy after the slew of moves. Brent Barry is getting 3yr deals, Van Horn is making more money than Jose Calderon, Webber is playing 8mpg, etc...

10. Sooner423

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/...ories/MYSA022708.01E.spursADV.en.3deada9.html

Maybe there's still a chance.

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Makes me wonder if he had decided on us, and then had to reconsider after the injury. That would be one explanation why he's taking so long.

12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The 30 day thing coupled with the calf thing makes two explanations for why he's taking so long.

Better Barry - or Bobby Jones? Better Barry than Jones or (someone like) Williams or even Fazekas?

13. Sooner423

That's a definite possibility. Hopefully, he sees the light and realizes we are still a solid squad without Yao. I just hope he doesn't watch TV or listen to his brother. Screamin A is such a moron. I don't understand how he stays on TV. He'll eat his words soon enough.

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It seems to me that only Brent Barry can confirm what Brent Barry will do.

I trust Morey et al but I am not obsessing over gaining the BB signature (except it would be nice to get the cred that yes here and no there there and there would effect).

15. MacadamianTmac

I don't think our success hinges on Barry's signing with us, but it would be a great vote of confidence for Tmac and the rest of the team, considering that we know Barry wants to play for a contender.

16. Sooner423

If we get Barry and Justin Williams, I think we are right back in the hunt.

17. MacadamianTmac

Sooner: Man, it's good to see some optimism in here, but I don't follow your logic. How do barry and williams put us back in it?

18. yobod

yobod Member

I actually agree with Sooner. With Barry, you had another experienced, savvy guard with great 3 pt shooting, and the ability to play some solid defense. This would force defenses to stretch, which would then give Scola room to operate (I'm assuming Scola is going to need a grace period to become our primary post option). With Justin Williams, while he's hardly a replacement for Yao, at least it gives us some size in the middle with a little bit of an offensive game. I love Deke, but you can't play 4-on-5 in the NBA on one end of the court, and expect to win games. That's why Chuck Hayes slowly got phased out of the main rotation.

19. Sooner423

I really don't think we're that far off to begin with. I'm a little worried about consistent scoring and Barry will provide a lift in that deprtment. I'm also a little worried about Deke holding up for the long haul and Williams covers that base. Maybe I am a little too optimistic due to the throttling of the Wiz without Yao and all the winning in general lately, but I think this team can do it. I don't think there's any chance we miss the playoffs and I think we can make some noise once we get there.

20. sabesque

sabesque Member

I will be really surprised if he goes anywhere other than San Antonio. I think he's always known.

They say he wants to go to the place where he has the best chance to win a championship. If that's his biggest criteria, don't you think he would go to the east? There's no team in the west that's a lock. Spurs are always good. Lakers are stacked. Mavs are stacked. Rockets have won 13 straight. Utah is rolling. There is no easy playoff matchup in the west, 1-8.

You go to Boston, you have to worry about Detroit and the Cavs. Only. So if he wants to win another ring, he's going to Boston. If he wants a ring, why would he choose the Suns over the Spurs?