1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offer Barry 2 year contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Feb 22, 2008.

1. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Barry would come off the bench. He is not going to play a lot of minutes along Nash. He actually might play some back up PG minutes for Phoenix

2. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

Who's doubling Shaq for a kickout? We're in 2008 not in 2000. Nash's assists are down with the new suns. Shaq has really slowed them down in the half-court. Maybe I can see Nash having that advantage over TMac/Yao with the old suns. But I don't see that now.

3. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

Well said.

4. HipHopSince1981

as much as I want Barry, its hard to be happy at the moment..Jones gets called up and just read a readers question to Feigen about Barry

Feigen Chat

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Are you kidding? Shaq still gets the double team. Watch that game where he kicks it out to Grant Hill for a wide open three. Hill of course misses because he's not a 3 pt shooter.

Nash's assists are down because the Suns aren't draining shots like they used to. A guy like James Jones who killed from distance is missed. Losing Marion at the four also hurts as he was another "shooter." Now their only shooter aside from Nash is Raja Bell in the starting lineup.

6. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

7. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

Well that pretty much sums it up right there.

8. FR0497

FR0497 Member

I think in the half court offense, which is the playoffs, Mcgrady and Yao give as many, if not more, open shot oppurtunities that Nash would provide. Nash is great on a fast break but we see what a great defense, a la Detroit, will do to them.

9. Htowns_Finest

Htowns_Finest Member

Yep. That is the main reason why the Suns decided get Shaq IMO so that they could become a better half court team. They knew that it was going to be very hard to match up with the: Lakers, Spurs, Rockets, and even the Jazz because of their bigs come playoff time. So they made the trade to get bigger and rely more on a half court offensive set.

10. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

Looks like it didn't happen - step up Luther!!

11. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Barry is still a week to 10 days away from returning...Jones could be a filler to help out in the meantime.

12. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If he wanted to maximize his role and shot a title he would go to Boston or Phx. For both he would be guaranteed substantial minutes because of their need for a bench shooter/guard. Boston seems to be out, though I could have seen why that might have been his 1st choice on playoff oppertunnity alone.

For the Rockets he would neither have a guaranteed spot (compete with Head and B Jack) nor can you say he would have a better chance at a ring than alternatives. Granted Phx is an experiment with Shaq, but under Nash they have never been short of the semis and last year they were awfully close to a title team--and Barry witnessed 1st hand being on the other side of the bench on the team that gave them his team by far the most trouble. I am sorry, but until proven otherwise I'd hitch my playoff chances on Nash and Amare over Tmac and Yao if I had a short term outlook (this year and next).

The Rockets hope in this is Barry hears good things from family members about Adelman/Rockets org and wants to stay close to home--but not to the team that has tried to trade him for years (and finally did) and who way cut back his minutes/role last playoffs through this year.

I still think it is much to do about little. I could see him help Boston and Phx some because of their need for an off the ball deadeye and veteran guard depth--but Barry would be a bit player for Hou or SA--teams with decent depth in guard spots and who substantially weigh defensive skill sets in their decisions about who plays.

13. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Life goes on. Lets get back to focusing on playoff seeding.

14. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Even if Barry won't be able to play in 10 or more days, if he signs with Houston, doesn't he still count as a roster spot?

15. pollaxt

pollaxt Contributing Member

Shaq will prove to have the opposite effect on their half-court offense. He clogs up the basket and prevents the spacing that Nash needs to do his thing (finding the cutter or hitting the jump shooter). At times, they've had to send Shaq to the 3pt line just to open up some space.

16. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Wait, so the Rox are officially out of the running?

17. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We've only got two players on the Injured List right now, Green and Francis, right?

Battier/Novak
    Scola/Landry/Hayes
    Yao/Mutombo
    McGrady/Head
    Alston/Jackson/Brooks
    Green/Francis

that's 14 players right now, and jones makes 15 (I believe). The guess here is that Barry makes up his mind and then signs later (i.e. when more healthy). This article seems to say the Rox would pursue both.

18. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

that's the 15 (if you include jones). it's 12 active + 3 inactive (to include injuries etc).

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member