1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets likeliest team to trade for Rudy Gay?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thevirus, Jul 28, 2016.

1. dmoneybangbang

I think KJ is more valuable to us based on his contract and production, that is is still an unknown to give up anything for a year rental. I would imagine we would have to give up Brewer and Dekker/Harrell with Dekker more likely valuable as of today, in my opinion.

2. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

with eric gordon and james harden I don't think kj getting minutes barring injury but I don't know I would also like rudy because he will be a 1 year rental and morey will have the cap space next year

3. edwardc

edwardc Member

This is a move i could really get behind but wouldn't want to get rid of core to get him.

4. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

with eric gordon and james harden I don't think kj getting minutes barring injury but I don't know I would also like rudy because he will be a 1 year rental and morey will have the cap space next year
    same but the most morey would do is brewer and kj I would highly doubt he would give up anything else

5. valorita

valorita Member

The only way a net negative player becomes a positive for the team is if he replaces an even more net negative player *(cough) Brewer* or he brings in an asset like a pick with him.

So unless that happens, DO NOT WANT

6. dmoneybangbang

KJ could play some at the 3, like Harden. Frankly, the NBA is moving more towards positional unorthodoxy. KJ is certainly athletically enough to switch onto 1s and 3s and guard them, it's a matter of putting it together behind the ears. Whether or not KJ reaches his potential, I think our offense will be fine under MDA, it's the defense I am concerned about. Rudy Gay only offers more veteran offensive prowess at a spot that is already jammed pack, that is a 3/4, in my opinion.

7. BigSquirm

BigSquirm Member

yea ik I just always think of the best possible situation and would just think rudy gay would use his long wingspan and use his tools on defense to become an above average defender but that probably won't happen lol

8. ricardo1979

ricardo1979 Member

Looks like we are standing pat so I don't see a move made for Rudy. He clearly has very little trade currency as of right now so I don't imagine we need to give up to much in the way of bonafide talent

9. Milos

Milos Member

This is exactly the point ...
    Gay ONLY gets minutes that would've gone to Brew + KJ had they not been traded for him

This whole offseason has been about replacing our worst OFF players with significant shooting upgrades
    DEF be damned, this is clearly the path Mike, Daryl, Harden & Les have charted for this Rockets team

Another move to swap our 2 worst remaining perimeter shooters for a proven vet scorer fits in perfectly with the central theme of this offseason
    No matter how much anyone hates Rudy (never been a fan myself) or think he's fading fast (no disagreement here) ...
    It's insane to claim he's not an improvement offensively from whatever we could expect from Brew+KJ in the same minutes/role off the bench

Beasley was moved to get Ennis, whom is most likely a fav of Mike, Daryl or both
    Dekker's run will depend on how HE plays and is independent of anything involving Beas/Gay/Brew/KJ

Morey is not going to give up any real assets for Gay .... think about how his lowball offer a year ago of 4 non-rotation scrubs netted Ty Lawson
    The fact he flips the $10M+ owed to Brew+KJ next year into Gay's expiring is just icing on the cake

RasaqBoi likes this.
  10. abaker28

abaker28 Member

Agree with above ^^
    19 guaranteed contracts plus DMo. We need to move some bodies.
    Not sure about how many contracts the Kings have, but a trade to shed numbers for someone on a contract year sounds fine with me.

11. Balldon'tlie

Balldon'tlie Member

I would trade Ariza for this dude.

12. glenadyll

glenadyll Contributing Member

I think only 15 contracts are guaranteed, 16 with D-Mo theoretically. But more than just contracts, we are going to have too many guys on the back of our bench who need minutes. No need to waste them on the back of our roster not playing when we may be able to get a return for them or someone else. In its current state, we are looking at next to no minutes for Brew, KJ, Dekk, and Trez among others. That seems to me to just be a waste of (at least marginal) NBA talent.

13. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

(Essentially) what's the difference between Beez and Rudy G?

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Gay will at least try to play defense and isn't a black hole on offense. Beas gets the ball and it's a guarantee shot.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

gay is a proven leader and would be a good locker room presence for our young guys

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Gay is a black hole, please no unless you give up a combination of KJ, Harrell, Dekker and Nanu..people who trade Ariza for him are just being silly.

17. basketballholic

mar1juana?

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As god awful as Brewer was last year, is he not a better 10th man than Gay?

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Where there's smoke there's a (s)pot on response.

20. Milos

Milos Member

Brewer's play last year regressed so badly, in every facet, that he had become an albatross dragging the whole team down
    By the end of the playoffs, he had nearly pulled a Terrance Jones by playing his way out of the rotation entirely

His production dipped significantly across the board from 2015 to last season:
    PPG 11.9 > 7.2
    FG% 43 > 38
    3P% 28 > 27 (including over a month from 3/25 to 4/27 without making a single 3)
    TS% 50.7 > 48.1 (ahead of only Lawson, Smoove)
    PER 14 > 9.9 (ahead of only Lawson, Smoove & Chuckwagon)
    OFF BPM -0.8 > -2.2 (-8.1 in the playoffs)
    DEF BPM -0.3 > -1 (-1.7 in the playoffs)

For comparison, here's the same metrics for Rudy Gay the past 2 seasons:
    PPG 21.1 > 17.2
    FG% 45.5 < 46.3
    3P% 35.9 > 34.4
    TS% 55.6 > 53.8
    PER 19.7 > 15.5
    OFF BPM 2.8 > -0.4
    DEF BPM -0.7 < 0.1

Gay also regressed last year (other than a surprising +0.8 upswing in DEF BPM)
    However 2016 Rudy Gay was still better across the board than even 2015 Corey Brewer
    2016 Corey Brewer was one of the worst rotation players in the NBA last year