1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Horry: "Dwight Howard would have no chance against Olajuwon"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 12, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you happy that the Kings are staying in Sacramento? I think you have a lof of fans there.

Robert Horry: [Laughs] The fans are great there, I'm really happy. I was hanging out with Mitch Richmond at the NCAA Final Four and he was mad. He was like, "Hey man, what are they going to do about my jersey?" And I said, "They are just going to move it too." I'm happy to see the Kings staying in Sacramento but still, I want Seattle to have a team again. It was a great place to play, they have great fans... It's crazy to see the team they once had is now a championship-caliber team.

Everybody talks about your miracle three-pointer against the Kings back in 2002, but you always talk about that first time you hit a winning shot.

RH: Yes, I made the basket in the final seconds of the first game of the Western Conference Finals against the Spurs in 1995. For me it was an importante shot me because I was 0-for-4 but still had confidence in myself and shot the ball. If your teammates believe in you, you have no fear to take the shot. And that was the big key for me, that my teammates still believed in me and passed me the ball. That was a very important shot for my clutchness, sort of [laughs]. That shot gets overlooked because of the work The Dream put on in the Alamo. Dream came out with some stuff we never had seen.

Talking about clutchness... Let's say with the game on the line, you are injured so you have to pass the ball to a teammate to hit the winning shot. Which other four players would you like to have on the court to seal the deal?

RH: I'm going to name you current players: First of all I have to go with Kevin Durant, then Carmelo [Anthony] is such a great player down the stretch, then Kobe [Bryant] and LeBron [James]. And out of those four, the one you have to be more scared of is LeBron because you don't know if he's going to shoot, drive or pass. Well, with two to three seconds, I would pass the ball to Durant and Kobe, six seconds to Carmelo because he will wait a little bit more, but he'll definitely shoot it, if you have more time I'll pass it to LeBron.

What's your take on the Finals?

RH: I don't know, to be honest with you. I thought Miami would win but told all my friends that the Grizzlies would be the surprise team to win it all... But the Spurs are playing really well. Tony Parker is playing at a whole new level, but the key are those other guys like Kawhi Leonard. People don't understand that you're going to need someone other than the big dogs to go out and perform.

Why has this Big Three stayed together for such a long time without ego battles and management never tempted to break it?

RH: It's a thing called loyalty to certain players in sports. Those three players are loyal to the franchise and the franchise is loyal to them. Plus you've got a guy who doesn't really care about money in Tim Duncan. He knows that in order to be successful you've got to sacrifice and they sacrificed their wallets for the better of the team. And people don't recognize that.

You said recently that Kobe has had a better career than Duncan and Shaquille O'Neal. But what if Tim wins a fifth ring like Kobe?

RH: I would still pick Kobe. Tim is great, but I tell everybody this: Look at this from the GM perspective. Who's going to sell tickets, put the people in the arena? Tim? Nah, not so many [laughs]. Don't get me wrong, he's going to win, but he won't draw so many people to the arena.

You always say great things about Hakeem Olajuwon, that he would kill it if he had the chance to play nowadays and be the best center by far. What about Dwight Howard?

RH: Dwight would have no chance [against Olajuwon]. Howard is a good player, but his offensive skills are limited. He only has the Georgetown hook, a couple of spins in the baseline... Dwight is a great player, but there are things certain players can and can't do, and Hakeem could do a lot.

About what you're doing currently... Did you sell your Texas mansion?

RH: Yes sir, I finally did [laughs].

And what about The Robert Horry Center for Sports and Physical Rehabilitation?

RH: The clinics are going really well. I merged with University General Hospital and the sports clinics are going really well. A lot of patients enjoy what we do because we are a very family-oriented business.

And what can you tell us about the Ashlyn Horry Foundation?

RH: Well, it's going pretty well. We try to do as much as possible to give back to the community and pass along the knowledge, because that's the biggest key: what my daughter had [1p36 Deletion Syndrome] was so rare, and every case is different. That is very important for me that this foundation helps parents and kids who have this syndrome.

Read more at http://hoopshype.com/interviews/bar...o-chance-against-olajuwon#YFEpFhw48dWL0ceG.99

#1 tinman, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I'm shocked.

3. AFS

AFS Member

I bet Dwight would say the exact same thing. There's a reason he calls Hakeem his "sensei."

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If you look at player comps for Dwight from that era, he really doesn't measure up, the only problem is that there is literally no one else up there right now. I would say his closest comparison would be...Alonzo Mourning really. I was gonna say Patrick Ewing, but even Ewing had a much wider array of post moves, and his range was legit out to about 16-18ft. Defensively Dwight and Ewing are similar. But that's where it ends.

You can't even begin to mention Dwight in the same breath with guys like Robinson, much less Hakeem. But again. NO ONE is anywhere near Dwight right now in terms of modern day centers.

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm going to also go out on a limb here and say that Michael Jordan is better than Rip Hamilton.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

But what about Brian Cook, breh?!

7. FearTheBeardJH

JR Smith would own Jordan IMO. He is better shooter.

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

That's one thing DH has in common with... Well, everyone!

9. TISNF

TISNF Member

This is why the Internet and social media is a problem. Hakeem was doing those things when he was, what, 33, 34 years of age? Centers, historically, peak later in their careers.

Howard still has room to grow and get better. Not saying he'll reach the same talent level as Hakeem (no one can), but he's still got more than a few years before he truly peaks.

Same story for when people keep rehashing the yearly "Jordan vs. Kobe vs. LeBron" debate.

Either compare them directly based on what they accomplished at the respective points in their NBA tenures, or wait until their career is OVER before writing off one as better or worse.

It's so insanely stupid to be having these constant discussions.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

[​IMG]

Kobe >>> Jordan

2 people like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Even without the article we would know who the better player was but unfortunately the free agent name is Howard and not an all time great.

12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I see Dwight is like a young Admiral (D.Robinson) and we all know what Dream did to the Admiral. Hakeem can handle any player his size, but he couldn't handle overweight center (Shaq), or tall center (R.Smits).

13. MONON

MONON Member

I've always said that Dream could handle mobile centers, but large immobile centers gave him fits. Dream was quicker that everyone else. 1, 2 or 3 fakes and the opposing center was out of position. However centers like Mark Eaton were still there, because they hadn't had time to complete their 1st move yet. He was really fun to watch!! :grin:

14. OTMax

OTMax Member

He stated the obvious but still it's interesting to compare. Here's what Howard put up in his best year vs. Olajuwon in his last healthy season as a Rocket:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplay-index%2Fpcm_finder.cgi%3Frequest%3D1%26sum%3D0%26p1%3Dhowardw01%26y1%3D2009%26p2%3Dolajuha01%26y2%3D1997&div=div_per_game"></script>

Both in their best seasons:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplay-index%2Fpcm_finder.cgi%3Frequest%3D1%26sum%3D0%26p1%3Dhowardw01%26y1%3D2009%26p2%3Dolajuha01%26y2%3D1994&div=div_per_game"></script>

Rebounding is the only thing Howard has on Dream but even that is because of rule changes and OT / Barkley being rebounding machines.

A young Admiral, what are you nuts?? David Robinson as a rookie would've destroyed Howard, even in his prime. Check out the numbers and remember the type of centers Admiral had to go up against so that means he would probably kill Howard: (Rookie vs. Prime)

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplay-index%2Fpcm_finder.cgi%3Frequest%3D1%26sum%3D0%26p1%3Dhowardw01%26y1%3D2009%26p2%3Drobinda01%26y2%3D1990&div=div_per_game"></script>

Both in their prime:

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplay-index%2Fpcm_finder.cgi%3Frequest%3D1%26sum%3D0%26p1%3Dhowardw01%26y1%3D2009%26p2%3Drobinda01%26y2%3D1994&div=div_per_game"></script>

I'm not even going into the fact Olajuwon supposedly had problems against Shaq or Smits, because that's just false.

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

Didn't embed both ranking, so here's Howard (2008-2009 = prime):

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fh%2Fhowardw01.html&div=div_per_game"></script>

16. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Hakeem was better in his second year in the league (in which the Rockets made the finals) than Howard is now going into his 9th. By Hakeem's 9th season in the league he was 10x better than Howard is at this same point. Howard is known as and elite defender and Dream was better than him even at that.

17. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Finally, a credible source weighing in on the discussion.

18. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Once again, I have to ask:
    Why hasn't he replaced Clyde as color commentator?

19. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

In other news, water is found to be wet.

Nothing to see here. Move along.

20. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

Do you not remember him killing Shaq in 95?