1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Robert Horry: "Dwight Howard would have no chance against Olajuwon"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 12, 2013.

1. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I see only 3 all time centers that would be a great matchup to watch vs. Hakeem.

Bill Russell
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Sadly all of these guys primes were before our guy reached his except Kareem. He completely demolished Hakeem (as expected) throughout the early years but as Hakeem gained experience and honed his skills they both became evenly matched.

I miss the Dream. :(

2. Artie_Fufkin

Artie_Fufkin Member

Multiple sources tell me that Shaq is still alive, so that never happened. BUSTED!

3. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

He's not old enough to remember.

4. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

That's like saying Dr J is a better dunker than Matt Bullard.

5. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Sort of a moot point, though. Hakeem aint walkin through that door. Howard, on the other hand, may be walking through that door, and he's pretty much better than any other center in the game today.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Player A: 32.8 ppg, 11.5 rpg, 5.5 apg, 2 spg, 2 bpg, 48% FG
    Player B: 28 ppg, 12.5 rpg, 6.3 apg, .3 spg, 2.5 bpg, 59% FG

I don't think you can really say that one player "killed" the other in this matchup. But Rockets won - hell, they swept! - and that's what matters.

Anyway, I once heard Horry say that DeJuan Blair would have no chance against Charles Barkley.

7. Nero

Nero Member

The question I have is this: if it is the end of the game, we are down by 1 pt, time is running out..

We could confidently pass it in to Hakeem, and reasonably expect something good to happen. We knew that Hakeem was superior to anyone he would be facing in that situation, and the advantage was with us. We knew we had a GO-TO GUY.

What then would we have in Howard?

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that the last thing you would want to do in that situation is pass the ball down to Howard, because there is little reasonable expectation that something good would happen, and who seriously would believe that we would have the advantage in the attempt to score and win the game?

Clearly, Harden would be the man in that situation, and that's fine. He can shoot, or drive and maybe dish to Howard for a slam.. there are more ways than one of skinning a cat after all.

But still.

Horry is right for sure, in that, you put the ball in Olajuwon's hands, you knew that the only person who would make him miss would be Hakeem himself, it would not be because someone blocked his shot or fouled him because he couldn't shoot free throws.

But with Howard, I doubt there will be many times where he gets the ball in crunch time, when the team basically says 'Here big fella, put us on your shoulders and carry us home..'

The worry I have though, is that they will not be able to keep from falling into that mentality, which to me is a recipe for failure.

I guess it really depends on how strong Harden is as a leader, how strong his personality is, and whether Howard would be satisfied playing Robin to Harden's Batman.

Ah well, it will be interesting to see how it turns out, if we do manage to land the guy.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

What kind of badass says "importante" instead of "important". What a badass.

9. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Hard to argue with these facts.

10. edlkf

edlkf Contributing Member

We should get Brian Scalabrine. He is the only big man in the league that is comparable to the Dream.

11. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

be careful with stats without context. you say dwight had it better then Hakeem (using the 93-94 season) on rebounding and he really doesn't. Hakeem had Otis Thorpe grabbing 10 rebound beside him. Stats are a good base to start a conversation but don't get too caught up on it. Those ridiculous stats that Wilt and Russell put up are worthless today, in the 80's, int the 90's and in the 2000's

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Does Horry also think Victoria's Secret lingerie models are better looking then girls working at Hooters?

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/2rN70IuofGw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

I'd like to see prime Moses against Hakeem. I believe Malone trained/worked with him at one point.

15. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Moses never coached or trained Hakeem, but the two had some epic battles at Fonde during the summer when Moses was with the Rockets and Hakeem was at UH. In his book, Hakeem says Malone's only advice was "Be a man." When he figured that out, he became the best player in college basketball and then had something of an NBA career after that.

After the summer games, all the players would race over to Frenchy's on Scott for some chicken. Hakeem wrote that Moses always won the race and always bought enough for everybody.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

I like Dream. Met him several times and he's my basketball hero (after Lin), but people wouldn't understand what he's saying. Might as well put Mutombo and Dream on there for comedy purposes.

But yes, Clyde needs to go as soon as ASAP.

17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The reporter is a moron for even bringing the two up in the same sentence.

18. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Not sure, I would love to see live comparisons and further pictures discussions of this. For science.

19. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Actually Akeem (pre-Hakeem) was already outplaying Kareem very badly, including in the 1986 playoffs which Akeem thoroughly dominated Kareem. Granted that Kareem was on his way down and Akeem on his way up, but Dream was far more talented. Kareem was much like Duncan, fundamentally sound, smart, and early to maximize his abilities. Dream was on a totally different level, able to dominate even while raw and starting basketball late, and then maximizing his abilities while he was athletically in decline, but still the best.

20. RoxBro

RoxBro Member

I assume your joking...