1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2016-17

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Scrub compared to New Condom.....I'm guessing.

I'm wondering about the expired half eaten bag of Doritos. Would that be Cool Ranch or Nacho Cheese?
    Hollingers estimates +6 wins

#1521 Jatman20, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    ramotadab and Tha_Dude like this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

He's also 30 and not the most pressing need. We cannot give up 1st round picks for bench guys who are 30 plus. You can get a cheaper guy who can give you 80-90% of similar production then that is the best option. I am a Lou Williams fan, but Rockets cannot be giving up their future picks for him.

Giving up a package including 1st for a potential starter is another story, especially at the 5 spot.

Jatman20 likes this.
  3. vator

vator Contributing Member

More shooting. Never can have too much when you shoot as many 3 pointers as we do. I understand your logic, but like I said, we need to start doing like Cleveland and parlay picks into help right now. We're going to waste Harden's prime drafting projects that won't help until their 2nd or 3rd year.

DonKnock, craguin, RudyTBag and 4 others like this.
  4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I value your opinion d-rock but I just feel like you get too enamored on potential Vs production and consider age a lot.

Truth is I do not see morey making any trade that disrupts the starting 5. None. But I do see him wanting to improve the bench and she'd brewers contract.

Lou >>> brew obviously but you would only be paying half the first for Lou, and the other half for dumping brewer. Maybe 2 2nds work but IDK. I know Lakers want to lose and brewer is perfect for that lol.

If you acquire Lou you also take the ball out of bevs hands and keep him focused on defense and shooting.

We have 3 picks in the next draft things will be moved and if history repeats itself, morey values high 2nds more so than late 1st because of cap holds and similar talent level.

Also, our 1st isn't extremely valuable. He likely only could net is a solid rotation player, something you hope the pick evolves into.

ramotadab likes this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

Not enough to look at raw stats to judge Lou.
    Everytime in every team he has been playing with, he has always disrupted the flow of offence by going full isos.

RocketsTerps, Deuce, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

He's doing that in a bad team though...sure, he can score, he always did, but tbh i'm not a fan, he reminds me too much about Jamaal Crawford, (bad) shot after (bad) shot after (bad) shot, no way i'd trade a first rounder for him.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

This. And i don't think it's a coincidence that these kind of players always suck when playoff basketball comes, same as Crawford in fact.

malakas likes this.
  8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Trade for Tucker than, he's more of a team player, plays hard, can shoot, can rebound and plays way better defense (on multiple spots).

Also, sorry, but we're NOT in same situation as the Cavs, they are already in the finals anyway, we're not a Lou Williams away for being a true contender, you can't be serious comparing us with the them.

#1528 Vivi, Jan 24, 2017
    D-rock likes this.
  9. D-rock

D-rock Member

I value your opinion very highly as well. And I am actually a huge Lou Williams fan, especially when he came out, I thought he was AI-lite who also liked to play D. Wanted to trade for him many times during the Yao-McGrady years. But trading a first for Lou right now is a misallocation of resources. Even if its just to shed Brewer's contract and be the emergency guard behind Bev-Gordon. Williams is a legit 6th man but most of the guard minutes will be distributed between Harden-EGo-Bev for the majority of the games left. Those minutes will be even tighter during the playoffs.

That's not fair to Lou and its definitely not fair for the team to lose a pick for non-integral player. Now if there was an injury to either Gordon or Bev, this pick absolutely makes sense. Otherwise, why not a young up and comer with the perfect skillset to groom? York is a much better fit than Ennis IMO. Gabe York is described as Step Curry-esque by Draft Express. This is a GOOD thing.

As for the starting 5, if there is room to improve then why not pull the trigger? Both Noah and Chandler are better (albeit declining) player than Capela right now. But Rockets are projecting Clint to be the future at the position. Unless he can be upgraded relatively inexpensively for a better, just as young player.

Again, these are just my 2 cents, but I want my cake and eat it too. We can improve now AND for the future if we are savvy with our trades and/or signings. Harden is truly the engine that will propel this team to a ring, but the complementary parts have to be efficient and relatively problem free to maximize not just Harden's current performance but his future performance. Engine will run rough if it is overworked too long or other parts break down prematurely.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

How will Lou fit in with Gordon and Harden? Perhaps by being reserve to both of them. Beverely's minutes will be cut in this scenario, which may not be a bad idea with his injury history.

11. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

per basketball-reference.com (16/17) to your point.
    Harden....33.9 Usage

Lou W......30.5 Usage
    Gordon.....23.7 Usage
    Beverley...13.6 Usage
    Might not be easy to fit all 4 players due to Usage%. Some players can be less efficient when you decrease
    their usage #'s. Lou Williams would be discouraged from shooting as many mid-range shots than yrs past....would that affect Lou's efficiency; as it did for Lawson?

Edited later: looking at the numbers. Lou fits in with Bev/EGo 5-9 feet & 10-14 feet attempts/game

#1531 Jatman20, Jan 24, 2017
    BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

If Rockets want pure scoring off the bench in a 30 year old body, why not Reggie Williams? The guy led NCAA in scoring twice. And is now 40% 3point shooter. Can't play D worth a lick but if you want scoring off the bench, he's the best value, no picks needed - just sign him.

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

@D-rock How come you haven't mentioned Gabe York before? I don't know, on say a D-league
    & foreign player thread? Just kidding.

He looks like he could play judging by You Tube. You know how You Tube clips are.
    Myself I'm an internet GM....I could just comment on a trade thread and be content.

BigMaloe and D-rock like this.
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

LOL. I know I'm a broken record. Just trying to find value and if we are going to spend 1st rounders (or even 2nds) it needs to be on players who have upside rather than just a year or three of declining play. I understand going all in while Harden's in his prime, but it is irresponsible to spend all your money/assets on players with too short of a shelf life. I believe its possible to bring in complementary players who still have upside.

Or if going after older vets, then let's look for bargains if at all possible. Vets who actually thrive in fast paced offenses (not just PnR) who are available (to be signed, no picks required): Reggie Williams, Smoove, Jimmer Fredette, Archie Goodwin, Lance Stephenson, Larry Sanders

One or two of these guys can be good fits for the Rockets. Then supplement the signings with trade package for high upside (ie still young), potential star type players who can push one or two of the starting 5. Couple of the guys on starting 5 are getting up there in age.

carib and Jatman20 like this.
  15. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

HOU Out: Gordon, Ariza, 1st
    HOU In: Beal, McRae

Cavs Out: McRae, Shumpert
    Cavs In: Ariza

Wizards Out: Beal
    Wizards in: Gordon, Shumpert, 1st.

then

KJ, Ennis and Nanu for Covington.

Who says no and why? Beal could be that star next to Harden that we really need, Cavs want Ariza from what I remember and Wall + Beal doesn't work... they have had many disagreements and don't seem to be happy there together.

Harden/Bev
    Beal/McRae
    Covington/Dekker
    Ryno/Harrell
    Capela/Nene

16. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm with you on Fredette. York & Fredette are both listed as 6'2". York dribbles like Curry. Good range like
    Curry. Some clips show a quick release. Of course not many clips showing defense. Harden & York are
    Alumni. York could be an Ennis replacement if/when moved. York wouldn't need much usage at the
    moment & not disrupt chemistry sitting on the bench...I can't say that about vets currently around the league.
    Brown could always be cut if need be (hired to carry Hardens bags).

I'm a 95% go on Larry Sanders for a "rest of season" contract (pending physical & background checks).

I will skip on talking about the other 4 guys. I like Smoove; but I can't stand his FT shooting (or lack of).
    That 14/15 season ruined me on poor FT shooting from D12/Smoove/Capela. Can't stand points being
    left out there on the floor. Get that still from Capela/Dekker.

Edited later: Since Harden backs up Bev/Gordon....I think much of the fear from others is PG
    defense lost by Beverley due to missed time in the near future. Gary Payton II should
    be available after the trade deadline.....for defensive purposes.

#1536 Jatman20, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    carib and D-rock like this.
  17. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ez. The salary of beal is massive morey loves flexibility and cap space. I honestly don't know the players well, but giving up Ariza/one of the best glue guy, Gordon our potential sixth man of the year and a first round pick and u don't even get rid of brewer bad trade.

Plus any trade that makes Cav stronger is a bad trade and will make many curse out. u don't want the NBA champion to have a better chance of winning again because Another trade helped them get stronger

#1537 DatRocketFan, Jan 24, 2017
    D-rock and Embrace the clutch like this.
  18. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

So, giving up the sixth man of the year and an aging wing is too much for a potential 2nd option on a title team? You see what Gordon is doing in this system... Beal would be Gordon on steroids

19. Pete the Cheat

Beal can't stay healthy. That's an albatross contract

saleem likes this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Beals Contract is too big and u have to know that any trade mention of making Cavs stronger is bad, Ariza maybe old but he can play a sht ton of mins. We give up first round pick and u didn't even get rid of brewer.