1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Revisiting the Melton trade (I no longer call it the Ryno trade)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 22, 2018.

?

(Re-Vote): As of today, Do you like the Melton+Ryan for Knight+Chriss trade

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

112 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. craguin

craguin Member

What were these off-court issues WRT Ryno? ▼

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Poll added

Vivi likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Morey had to give up Melton because nobody is f-cking with the Rockets on trades. No GM out there is trying to help the Rockets do anything.

craguin and amaru like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Maybe Morey jumped on that trade for one reason...Ryno was willing to renegotiate his contract, then. All speculation and sources did not know at the time that Ryno was negotiating less guaranteed money.

For what it’s worth, @Codman has also said repeatedly that off-court issues have been affecting Nene, too. He said that as one reason why Nene wasn’t playing.

Ryan’s recent quotes are about being at peace with not playing. Protecting CP3s hammie should have been higher priority than worrying about Ryan’s head.

#24 heypartner, Dec 22, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  5. BigBum

BigBum Member

Melton is equal to the first round rookie contract. You are not going to deal Knight for a first round rookie contract. Instead, you need to offer a first round with Knight for a big bum.

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Still too soon to say with any certainty. As of today, though, it's looking a bit lopsided.

Gotta feel for Morley -- he tried for so long to unload that albatross contract of Ryno's that he probably grew a little too eager.

All of you who think Melton would have made a huge difference in CP3's minutes need to realize that there's no guarantee that MDA would have played him at all.

Lovemachine2000, jcf and amaru like this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

It was a bad trade then and it’s one now!!

8. amaru

amaru Member

How good has Melton looked

9. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Hate the trade now.

Gave up a quality prospect for …. nothing.

Knight's contract is a liability just like Ryno's was , just as long and only saved tax dollars. The kicker is that Ryno having a larger contract allowed you to go after bigger fish closer to the end of that contract (next deadline ?) ….

Hate the trade now. Was pointless to everyone not named Tilfart.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Morley stats said late round pg rookie is likely not to have any impact the first year. Something like that. MCW? Stats said ready on day 1. Something like that.

11. Sanity2disChaos

That’s a great question! Why rush?! We all knew he (Anderson) wasn’t staying but to sell him soooooo low is jumping the gun. You tell me Covington/Saric is that much better than Anderson/Melton?? We got nothing of worth out of this transaction.

If Morey has his hands deep in the pot on these past and current moves it may be time to cut ties and clean house. We can’t have a GM everyone feels is trying to screw them in every trade. We are not The Celtics or Lakers for that matter. Nor do we have a name in the front office people know and respect around the league.

12. Sanity2disChaos

Smh.

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

Raptors GM is better than Morey, who has the best GM award.

BasketMAD, bmelo and whiskeyred like this.
  14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I hated moving Melton, @heypartner, but at the time, I hated Anderson's contract more. You make some good points about other options that could have been pursued. We certainly could use him now. It's enough to make me second guess the decision by Morey, which is easy now, looking back at the deal (to be fair to Daryl). I've always been for growing our own talent, and having the Vipers makes it even more attractive, in my opinion. It isn't like Morey is a poor judge of talent. Quite the opposite, imo. He might be a little too willing to move that talent in order to close a deal, though.

whiskeyred likes this.
  15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

If Morey didn't trade Ryno, would have he been able to offer anything for Butler? Flexibility is something to consider.

That said, maybe they saw something in summer league and indeed thought MCW would be better. Morey has been high on MCW for awhile right?

16. Game7

Game7 Member

It was a dumb trade from day 1. I had to tell so many people that were happy to see Ryno go that we lost a legit prospect and got nothing in return. People said Knight and Chriss would be easier to move than Ryno. That hasn’t appeared to be true at all. I would literally rather have Ryno on the team than this. Prove me wrong Brandon...prove me wrong.

17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I know why he was in the trade. But going forward, I don't know what we should do with him. If the options are "trade him with a 1st for a good role player" or "just keep him" then I vote for just keep him.

I'd rather be mediocre and have a 1st than be mediocre and not have a 1st.

saleem likes this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Anderson with 4 picks = Knight with 4 picks...or Gordon and Nene with 2 picks...just like we tried to do.

19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Hindsight always 20/20 but I loved Melton’s potential was fine letting Ryno rot on the pine and dump later

clutchdabear and heypartner like this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

The whole clutchfans was saying they like the deal before. Don't ever listen to dumbass clutchfans. Their hate for Ryno is equivalent to Jeremy Lins.