1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Revisiting the Melton trade (I no longer call it the Ryno trade)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 22, 2018.

?

(Re-Vote): As of today, Do you like the Melton+Ryan for Knight+Chriss trade

1. Yes

32 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. No

112 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Finished with 0 0 0 you mean.

You do realize Melo was also once an Allstar right? He was on par with Lebron and Wade and was seen as one of the best players in the league.

The point is who cares what Scrubberson averaged before he got injured? 39% for the Scrub equals two made 3 pointers a game. 2 made attempts isn't the model of consistency, thats just gaming the numbers based on a small sample size. All he had propping him up was Harden and Cp3, two HOF pgs who created everything for him.

Now that he is alone he is exposed, can't even score on a tanking PHX team. Why would a team who has champ aspirations want anything to do with a scrub who can't perform on a lotto team? If your logic is he would be better with Cp3 and Harden, that applies to all the players in the league too. Pretty sure Clark and Nene would do better on the Suns than Scrubberson.

RocketToVegas likes this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think I can vote on this until after the trade deadline. If Knight is able to be sent off for something useful than it was a good trade. If not then we may as well have kept Melton. I don't think the organization ever planned on big contributions from Knight or Chriss (though some of us did), I think they just believe those guys are more easily moved than Ryno. We'll see.

dawesome likes this.
  3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

WOW!

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yes, but if Melton + Salary could also be sent off for the very same thing, then it’s better to have just waited so we had two playable bodies all this time.

If Morey adds a pick to purge Knight’s (aka Ryan’s) last year for an expiring in order to completely flush out Anderson’s last year salary, then that absolutely sucks.

No more Assets to flush out Anderson’s salary. Grrrr

Mathloom and Williamson like this.
  5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I didnt like the trade then, and i sure as hell dont like it now. We cant stop making bad decisions this year.

ballhandling likes this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

• What would Melton + FRP (and requisite salary) bring though?
    • What if whoever Knight + another (barf) FRP is just a one-yr expiring contract?
    Even if said expiring helps us attain a better seed, I'm going to look at it as did this whole flipping Melton help us beat the Warriors, or did it just, ultimately, help save future salary, that we could have spent on Ariza this year.

I look at it this way,,,if we don't beat the Warriors this year, then flipping Melton should be weighted against just eating Anderson's salary and keeping Melton, and certainly any other pick. Unless we beat GSW this year, any Knight trade would have to provide us with value for more than *this year* (and more than Melton could've) -- especially if we give up another future pick -- if any value it gives us now is wasted by being bounced in the playoffs due to no replacements for Ariza and Luc.

bottomline: We might as well eat Knight's salary, if a trade gives us nothing of future value.​

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

@heypartner The Knight trade needs to give us future value in some aspect (like the 1st+Brewer for Lou Williams trade). If the end game is moving Melton+1st for no value other than "financial relief" then yes, I will be rancorous.

8. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

I still think it was a somewhat good deal, if we can manage to turn BK into a decent bench warmer (well Ryan isn't anymore..). Even in a trade I still believe BK's contract is easier to move. But man, I really like Ryno as a person. Will never forget this moment

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The situation is very fluid. A lot of moving parts here....

Step 1: Flip Ryno’s radioactive contract for more movable parts
    Step 2: Recognize we need 2-3 rotation players to take pressure off of our starters and improve the quality of our bench
    Step 3: Strike when opportunity presents itself (signing Austin Rivers to help address step 2)
    Step 4: Take Chriss/Knight + sweeteners to add 1-2 rotation players (instead of 2-3)

Step 4 is obviously the most difficult and it’s return will primarily be used to give a final grade on this trade. Unlike the majority, though, I think we’re headed in the right direction. Signing Rivers gives us playable body immediately, and perhaps, buys us more time for DM to find the “perfect” deal.

Red Chocolate likes this.
  10. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't imagine that any combination of Melton, Anderson, Knight and/or Chriss would make a tangible difference to any team.

If you accept that premise then it boils down to contracts v. potential. Melton as the most unknown commodity has the most potential. That is derived more form the other three demonstrating a lack of promise more than Melton showing he has it. He is the only one still unknown.

In terms of contracts, it seems a fact that Anderson's was reasonably untradeable, The two smaller contracts are individually easier to trade, but can add up to the same value if we need a big value.

Just not a lot of on the court talent involved.

Red Chocolate and joshuaao like this.
  11. BigBum

BigBum Member

Rivers want playing time, he would upset if you deal knight for a better point guards.

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Melton is better than Knight this year, the rest of the deal is a wash. Too bad, could really use Melton now.

13. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Nice job of drafting Melton, we traded him when his stock was high. He's still just a rookie getting bench player minutes on an awful team though. I think it was a fine trade (mortgage the future for the present), and hope to catch some breaks. Unfortunately all the breaks we caught were bad ones.

14. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

So, we wanna re-hash and be in regret about this trade? Let’s not live in the past. What matters is what can we do now.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it is as much on Morey as on MDA and Tilman. The trade helps the owner save some money. And I am guessing MDA did not want Anderson on the bench and probably didn't have much confidence in Melton as a rotation player.

Morey wanted two smaller dead weights over one giant dead weight. But if you need one asset to do that exchange and another asset just to unload one of the other dead weights, then is it really worth the move?

And I don't think Morey expected much from Knight in terms of basketball contribution. It's just contract maneuvering.

heypartner likes this.
  16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anderson would have come off the books in a year anyway. And Melton would have definitely gotten PT.

Easy likes this.