1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Poll: Do you support Tillmann's Danuel House shutdown?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 17, 2019.

?

Do you support the Tillmann shutdown?

1. Yes

37.6%
  2. No

62.4%
  1. T for 3

T for 3 Member

You mean mourney’s decision.

cheke64 likes this.
  2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

if he is so replaceable, why have we not been able to do it ? we tried to find someone to replace ariza and he has easily been the best one. we STILL have no size on the perimeter.

MrSabotage likes this.
  3. rockets13champs

4. fattz

fattz Member

What have we “really” tried to do? (We are paring the cap). No money to send (all minimum wage) so patched worked line ups. House is our best scrap so far _> better fit than (Melo2018-19)MCW & Clark. As I stated it’s the best House will ever play. What I did not say is it was maximum potential for the team. Of our choices so far House is the answer but you and I both know that there are far superior players to House. House on a minimum or near minimum contract is acceptable anything more no thank you.

roslolian likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He made 10 threes....haha

napalm06, icewill36 and roslolian like this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

Harden is a superstar making 40M a year so if you say he is worth 20 wins then 1/4 of that is a 10M player. Is House worth 10M? Clearly not so even by your definition of "A 5 win player isn't a star" House is still not gonna give us 5 wins. Maybe 1-2 wins which is what a roleplayer making the min would do.

You are right, nothing is permanent in the NBA so even if House had a good fit there is a high chance he would go into a slump, already had a couple of 30% FG games before he got sat. Dude was trying to get a contract of course he was gonna play 200% no guarantee he would keep it up after he got his money, after all his track record is 2 cuts from two previous teams in just 1 year each.

You already answered your own question, we gave up 1 win for the chance to lock up House long term.

7. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm saying there is no way to tell how many "wins" a player is worth .

This isn't baseball where there are 162 games and you can measure production and correlate it to a number of wins based off the Pythagorean method .

Basketball, one player can make a much bigger impact .

There are probably 5-8 situations so far where having House could have been the difference . We needed a player like him in his role , performing well .... and up until the point his NBA time ran out .... he was doing that .

Forecasting a slump is difficult and because House was fairly consistent I think he could have stayed productive.

Don't say that I know for sure House is worth 1 win ... that's ridiculous. It could be way more , it could have been less . It's a counterfactual scenario .... House didn't play . We have no idea how the team would have played with him in the lineup vs out ... the best thing we have is their record before .... which is better than their record without him .

Then you add in Clint going out . While house doesn't play the same position . MDA will gladly play without a center . You don't think that having a guy that is good enough to play 30 minutes for us while we win a lot of games would have helped !?

8. roslolian

roslolian Member

The opponent pulled an MDA and only played 7 guys all game long. Surprised it even reached OT lol

snowconeman22 and J Sizzle like this.
  9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

House would instantly be starting and our best small forward on the roster. Glad we’re happy to waste picks on known mediocre player Iman Shumpert though!

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Of course there's a way to tell how many wins a player is worth that's the whole point of analytics in the first place. Obviously it won't be an exact number but if your figures and analysis is correct you should get an approximate value or "wins" of the player.

5-8 situations where House would have won us the game? Really? Rockets have played roughly 16 games since he was taken out you mean to tell me House was be the reason for a win in 50% of those games? OMG why are we paying Harden the max we should give it all to House instead :p

Rockets better with House then their record without House? Are you sure about that? Cuz we didn't have Cp3 and EG when House was playing, so again are you saying House is better than EG and Cp3 combined?

At the end of the day obviously the Rockets think House is somebody who can contribute thats why they are trying to lock him up for 3 years. I do too, obciously we need him on the team and he would help win games. But don't overrate the guy he is just a 9 ppg scorer that's not good enough for an NBA starting SF.

Trevor Ariza had 13 pts, 5 rebs, 2 assists and we had him giard the other team's best player AND yet Morey let him go, so why is a 9 ppg scorer suddenly the key to the Rockets season?

House isn't better than EG if we get him back he is coming off the bench backing up either Tucker and/or EG he isn't gonna start.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

You think House is better than EG?

Fail!

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

1) EG is a 2 guard
    2) Look at EG’s stats this year. He’s been a disaster.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Unless House agrees to at least a 2 year deal, I would assume the smart thing to do is shut him down for the rest of the season, giving us a better chance of no offers being made to him that we can’t match.

If we play him and he plays well, we could end up losing him, Rivers and Faried. I mean it’s nearly impossible to bring back two of those three guys if they perform decent these next few months. Not to mention Iman. Or the fact that even signing one of them means we won’t be adding anyone besides the random veteran minimum guys (think Ennis and MCW)

Yes people will say “but we’re going for it,” but he may not be a difference. And we still have to build a team for the next two years as well. They should have tried to get more out of Clark this year.

14. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Overall analytics is basketball is pretty shoddy right now . It can tell you some things in situations but for determining overall value ... it's nowhere close as trustworthy as in baseball .

What makes you think I'm overrating him .

I'm not saying he's better than EG or CP3 ... but the team did well when he was playing and they were both out .

Obviously there are mitigating factors . CP3 and EG haven't gotten into their flow and form with the team yet . House , in the short time that he played, fit like a glove .

I know the rockets want to bring him back for 3 years ... but apparently not that much because they are only offering the minimum. Sure , house might be overrating himself and doesn't have a position of bargaining strength.

How much would you pay to have House locked up for 3 years ?

Do you think he's worth 2 million a year ?

Look , part of the allure of having house locked up long term is that you think he can grow.

If he stays at his current level then yeah ... he's a bounce around the league type guy .

But if he can continue to build on his role that he discovered with us ... then what is his ceiling .

He didn't shoot outrageously . There is no reason to think that he can't be a high 30's percentage 3 point shooter . There is no reason for his defense to fall off .... in fact it should improve as he plays more . The same for other facets of the game .

This is a "young" , athletic forward with good size and some nice skills . He had his cup of coffee and excelled . He exceeded expectations by a mile and was consistent in doing so .

I don't even know if he would make the playoff rotation this year ... especially if MDA plays 8 . He likely isn't getting in over Paul , Gordon , harden , rivers , shumpert , Tucker , Clint or farried .

But a cost controlled rotation player is invaluable to a team like us .

If you could get House at anywhere from 2-3 million a year .... I suppose it could bust . But it would likely be a steal . We haven't offered more than minimum. I don't think I'm overrating him . I wouldn't give him more than 3/12 .... but anything in that 3/ min to 3/12 spot is a compromise that I think should be made .

We are playing hardball and it's costing us games and costing House development .

MrSabotage likes this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

1. G and SF are interchangeable
    2. EG's stats are still better than House because guess he is a 14M player House was a 2 way contract.

You want your starting 5 to be your best players saying House should start over EG is like saying Rivers should start over Cp3.

16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agree with everything ... and it's really sad . We could have avoided this if we developed players properly.

House could have helped us so much already . But by doing what we did , it's definitely not a given that he can just come back and break into the playoff rotation and become a significant contributor.

On the other hand you are right , if he does then it's gonna be impossible for us to keep some of those guys ... and having that depth to START next season would put us right back on track .

However , we could have easily dipped into our MLE and locked up house . He would have definitely accepted a KJ McDaniels type deal where he makes 2-3 mil a year .

Also agree with Clark needing more opportunity.

WTF have we been doing lol ?

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Look I dunno what you are trying to say, are you arguing he is a good player for the Rox to develop? I agree with you thats why the Rox want to sign him to 3 year deal wtf. Rox don't want to sign him to a 1 year deal because he will leave in FA is that what you want?

Again you keep saying keeping House out is costing us games if House is somebody who wins games he wouldn't be in the G League ok? Atlanta only won 10 games so far they have a 15 man roster if somebody is available who will singlehandedly win games then they would sign him ok? Just use logic dude a 2 way contract player won't win you games wtf.

According to you House wont even be in the playoff rotation. So you want Rox to sign him 1 year, have him develop, not play him in the playoffs and then watch him leave in FA to some other team is that what you want? Cuz thats what you literally are telling me you want the Rox to do. FYI Faried, Rivers and Green are all FAs to if all these guys are FAs the Rox are gonna be priced out we got no money and lots of teams have capspace.

The only way to keep House after this season is sign him to a multi year deal which is what he doesn't want to do, he wants big $$$ which Rox obv cant give him. If you are sayibg Rox are dumb for not signing him to a 1 yr deal then that means you want him gone next year, period.

18. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Did you watch the Rockets with House starting? That is by far their best stretch of basketball this season.

Also lol at citing their contracts. That paints House even more favorably and Gordon even less favorably.

19. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

You need to read what I wrote more carefully.

I know rox want to sign him for 3 year . But they aren't willing offer more than the minimum. That's not enough for House to stay locked in ... he would rather test the market ... he has the power to decline the rockets offers you know . What I'm saying is the rockets could offer more money. We have some MLE left . We could easily double our offer and he'd still be making less than 3 mil a year .

As for your second point ... because he is on a two way contract with us ... no other team can pick him up

Why do you have to say things like "according to you he won't be in he playoff rotation." ?

I said it's possible that he doesn't make it .

If you are going to try to use my argument agaisnt me at least get my point right .

And for your third paragraph and final incorrect point ... ITS ACTUALLY EASIER for us to keep more guys next year if we use this years MLE to lock him up THIS SEASON .

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Good job House. You're going to inspire many new posts on Clutchfans!