1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playoff Seeding

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vega_281, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Vega_281

Vega_281 Member

Ok, so it looks like the Rockets will likely remain the 4th seed for the rest of the season. Assuming this, who would ya'll want the rox to play in the 1st round? The Blazers or Warriors? The rox have done well against both teams, but we all know if Aldridge or Curry gets hot, the rockets will have some problems.

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Golden State plays good defense, Portland doesn't, pretty easy choice really.

3. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

+1. Do not want to see golden state, we need to make quick work of the blazers in 5 games so we can be prepared to play the spurs in the 2nd round. We then have to hope the Thunder beat the Clippers (the clips don't turn the ball over enough for us to really go toe-to-toe with them), and hope we can beat the thunder.

4. YourSecretLover

im not scared of any teams. give me whoever. if we want the title, were gonna have to get through good teams(most likely on the road) no matter what. nobody said it was gonna be easy.

5. hardenisaboss

hardenisaboss Member

This is going perfect for the Rockets especially if the Spurs can keep the 1st seed and Blazers the 5th.

This is my predicted bracket
    1. Spurs Vs. 8. Grizzlies
    2. Thunder Vs. 7. Mavericks
    3. Clippers Vs. 6. Warriors
    4. Rockets Vs. 5. Blazers

We can beat the Blazers easily in the first round. We can play the Spurs in the second round who are an easy match up for us and one of the Clippers or Thunder will be eliminated in the second round. So the WCF, we will face either the Clips or Thunder. But with this seeding, we can have two favorable match ups.

6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I want the Dubs.

Because one night of ordinary shooting and it's an automatic L for them.

Do we not remember how easily Steph Curry was nullified for the majority of the first two games with Dwight showing hard on the PnR with his hands up. It resulted in a pass to someone else or a horrible shot.

He put his points up in the second half when we had our reserves in due to a 20 point lead.

I just know it'll be a lot sweeter personally to beat the GSW and wipe the smug look of their fans and Draymond and Bogut's face.

7. torocan

torocan Member

Portland.

Portland plays no defense and is the least experienced. And defending them is very straightforward. Shut down Lillard and their offense starts falling apart.

GSW plays defense. They're more experienced as a play off team than Portland. And they have more scoring threats than Portland. GSW has also done very well against the Clippers during the season.

I think we can beat either Portland OR GSW, but I think GSW would put up more of a fight and make the series longer. I'd rather the first round be a 4 or 5 game series versus 6 or 7 games going into the 2nd round. Let the Clippers and OKC fight it out with GSW in the first round.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I think its premature to assume our playoff seeding given only 3 games separates seeds 4-6 with 15 still to play.

9. YallMean

YallMean Member

Actually, 4 is where we want to be. There is a good chance the Griz could end up being 6, and we do not want to face them in the 1st round. My concern is the Clippers do not want the 3 either and looks like they might intentionally drop to 4. Just watch. It will be a battle of getting 4 between us and Clippers.

10. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

Mark my words "if the rockets get the 4th seed ..we will make it to the conference finals"

11. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We're exactly 30 days away from the start of the playoffs.

And between GS and Portland, I'd rather face Portland. I actually fear Lee more than Aldridge.

12. Tdugs710

Tdugs710 Member

I'd like 4th seed, becuase we can beat portland in the 1st round. Then, we match up well with the spurs so I think this is our best bet to advance to the wcf. However, we match up poorly with LAC and OKC and will lose there, unless we're lucky. WCF is as far as I realistically see us going.

13. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Personally i would avoid meeting thunder at all cost in the 1st n 2nd rd that means we stay at 4 or 5. This year, with this lineup n coaches, we match up better with spurs than thunder. Not saying we can bully the spurs, but we have chances with them. The thunder already figures out harden n make howard a non factor, there is no way we can beat thunder 4 games.

14. AXG

AXG Member

This!

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We gonna make the semi finals no doubt. The talent is here. It looks like we gonna dodge okc and clippers till the finals and then get embarassed bad. We got San Antonio, I promise you that.

16. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

This.

GSW's defense is pretty underrated. Their potential is only limited by their coach's weird substitution patterns and his seeming hatred of Bogut

17. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I still don't fear the 3rd seed as much as others. OKC(assuming they remain at #2) will likely face Memphis or Dallas in Round 1. The Mavs just smoked the Thunder in OKC the other night(yes, Westbrook was out, but that's not exactly been an issue for them this season). And the Grizzlies destroyed OKC in 5 games without home court in the playoffs last year. I'm not saying the Thunder will get knocked out in the first round, but it's at least a possibility. If that happens and the Rockets beat either the Warriors or Blazers, they'd have home court in Round 2 against a much easier opponent than the red hot Spurs.

I just want the Rockets to win as many games as possible from here on out. If that means the 3rd seed(or 2nd if the Thunder hit another skid) and a tougher bracket, so be it. But they can't just start cruising from here on out and assume they've got the 4th seed and home court locked up.

18. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

If Harden developed his off ball movement and spot shotting, the Rockets would be unstoppable

19. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Even though I would love to wipe the smirks and attitudes of Mark Jackson, Bogut and Green, I would want us to face the Blazers no doubt.

GSW has Bogut and O'Neal who have 12 fouls to wear down Howard. Plus O'Neal seems to play Howard well. And Iggy on Harden is pretty worrisome. And Lee can overwork our power forwards all day long. But most of all, Curry can change a series around if he gets hot. I think he is a bit overrated as the Warrior are, but when they get hot, they can beat anyone.

I only worry about LMA for Portland because of our young power fowards, and even then I would take him shooting long 2 pointers than GSW three point attack.

20. quizone

quizone Member

Agree, unless Iguadala is McHale's mole this year.