1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Our Championship window is closing

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pippsux, Jul 17, 2015.

1. pippsux

pippsux Member

Harden has been pretty durable but every player gets that injury prone year(hopefully not harden) and Howard is in an obvious decline. Now we inexplicably resigned Beverly, who I like and let Smoove go. Mind you we don't make the wc final if not for him and we let him walk to the team he rescued us from?

We need to make a move before the start of the season or we are not making the wc final or nba final.....you can quote me

2. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

We need one more move. Everyone knows that. If/when that move is made, the window will be wide open. More open than it has been in 20 years.

3. Garner

Garner Member

You found the Beverly contract inexplicable....?

4. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Why does anyone look like a smart NBA GM?
    u guys should try to understand how a nba team runs.
    Don't be too overrated ownself

5. bmd

bmd Member

The window is always closing with a particular group. From the moment the Rockets signed Dwight, the clock was ticking.

However, what makes a good GM a good GM is that he can keep making moves to keep that window open for years and years.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Every championship window of every team is always getting closer to the end every day.

Scary.

7. dram1

dram1 Member

Saying our window is closing is a waste of words...they are always closing...even the Warriors' window is closing to win another championship. Windows never stay open because time never stops...ugh...there is no desperation in winning a championship...moves have to be calculated and "closing windows" have to be ignored.

8. dram1

dram1 Member

We didn't let Smoov go...he walked because he wanted to. He wanted to play with CP3, BGriff, and for Doc. They got him cheap. If Smoov wanted to be here, he would be.

9. soonerfan7277

soonerfan7277 Member

I agree with you that windows are always getting smaller for every team. However, I disagree with your point about winning championships. Winning championships should always be the goal. We should be desperate to win a championship. Winning a championship is the highest honor a team can receive. Have your heard the term "win at all cost"? No one has ever said "win whenever it is most feasible". So I really hope our front office is desperate to win. I hope our front office is hungry, because I know as a rocket fan I am not content with Last year's success

10. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Was is it ever opened?

As long as we have Harden and he is healthy we will make the playoffs every single year.

11. 1Deep

1Deep Member

We didn't let Josh Smith walk. He chose to leave for a promise of more playing time. Really nothing we could do about his desire to play more with D-MO and TJ still on the roster and hopefully fully healthy next season.

I still think something is coming, but even with the addition of Ty Lawson for instance we would still be considered underdogs to come out of the West...still looking up at the Warriors...Spurs...Clippers..and even OKC with a healthy Durant.

12. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

We (hopefully) have Harden for the remainder of his career. Keep putting the right pieces around him and, no, it's not closing.

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

All the windows are sealed shut to prevent jumping from off-season melancholia.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I hate that this happened but I understand that I have to wait until the season starts and the playoffs begin next year to actually see then what we got. Clippers aren't winning the championship though.

15. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I can't believe people think the window is closing????

Harden is what 25? Howard still has years left.

Rockets will have great flexibility to take a run at Durant, Conley, etc next summer. Have tons of great trade bait. Have young, developing talent like DMo, Capela, Dekker, KJ, Harrell & Johnson.

Have used MLE & trade exceptions and bird rights to surround Harden & Howard with vets who play strong D, push the tempo in transition and have the skills to finish or knock down an open 3 (Ariza, Brewer, Bev)

We upgraded Terry's role with Thornton. Losing Smith, stinged for a bit but Rockets offer was much better. I really do like what the Rockets have done in FA. I didn't think they could afford all three of Bev, Brewer & Smith and at the end of the day they re-upped the two most crucial to team success. And too much better contracts than comparable talent throught the league getting 50-60 mil deals.

I just think we are well equipped under any scenario too acquire a superstar with the way Morey has been a guru on the cap and securing these contracts, seemingly striking gold in trades and finding gems in overlooked places.

Patience will pay off. You find gems you don't overpay them.

16. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

I often wonder of Durant.

Of his relationship with Harden (are they still as good of friends as they used to be), of his time at UT (outside of school, if he loved Texas), of his ties back in Washington (I know that Wale and Wall will be courting him) and of his relationship with Dwight.

I think there's a 50/50 chance of seeing the Thunder collapse and I think his time there is done. No hard feelings but the average worker stays around 4.5 years in a company and I think he is due for a change of scenery. That and the fact that the Thunder haven't done exactly the best of jobs.

I personally think he goes back East but there might be a chance (10%) that he comes down to Houston. I would put this % at 15 if Dwight weren't on the team and we had another decent center.

17. Newlin

Newlin Member

Or maybe our championship window is about to open.

We probably aren't done making moves. We don't know how well our team will play with the additions of Dekker and Harrell. Going into the playoffs next year, our team could be could be better with DMo, Beverley, Dekker, and Harrell.

Also we have an improving Clint Capela. So, the window might not be closing, but just beginning to open.

18. hakeemthagreat

Not only is the window closing, but our rivals in the west have all upgraded while we've stayed still. In the NBA one bad offseason can cause a total collapse to where you're forced to start over from scratch. If we under achieve we could lose Dwight, Harden could be unhappy, role players feel under appreciated etc....Morey has shown absolutely no urgency to fix our needs this offseason. Our superstar asked for another pg, and Morey came back with Sam Dekker. This could get ugly

1 person likes this.
  19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone here needs to calm down.

Before last season no one thought we would even be in the Western Conference Finals. Don't be delusional. Morey knows this team has flaws and isn't good enough to win a championship which is why he hasn't broken the bank on middling players.

Who were you expecting him to go out and sign for guard help? Do you see the money being thrown around at mediocre players at best? Before you say draft, Mchale was not going to start a rookie pg, and who knows how long it would take them to develop.

20. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

Apparently NBA.com thinks so. Check out the poll on the front page. LOL Mavs? What a joke

http://www.nba.com/